Page 40 of 61 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Might as well get the argument started.

Default Re: Might as well get the argument started.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    You got most of it right.

What you didn't say is that there is no difference in how P5 schools perceive G5 and FCS. They are equally ignored and disrespected.

You also didn't mention how unimportant Fargo is to any conference looking to add a media market. Obviously, you live in Fargo and think it's a big deal. A common misconception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't disagree with most of what you say....less the presumption I think Fargo is a big deal media market....I did not know that we were buddies and had discussed this. Next time you ar ein Lil Ol Fargo let me know and I will buy a beer and we can discuss.

Anyway, I do not think Fargo is a big media market, but there are several articles out there suggesting the local media market argument is unwise. I would also suggest that if read what I am actually saying, the local media market is not what one should be shooting for. The idea is to transcend the local media market.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Wrong.

P5 teams schedule games at G5 teams. More and more P5 aren't even putting FCS on the schedule.
    Who cares? What do Gopher fans think of Bowling Green? Or really any MAC school?

That's what P5 thinks of G5. FCS gets about the same respect unless you want to argue about tiny differences.

Go back to watching your hockey team Johnny.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    I don't disagree with most of what you say....less the presumption I think Fargo is a big deal media market....I did not know that we were buddies and had discussed this. Next time you ar ein Lil Ol Fargo let me know and I will buy a beer and we can discuss.

Anyway, I do not think Fargo is a big media market, but there are several articles out there suggesting the local media market argument is unwise. I would also suggest that if read what I am actually saying, the local media market is not what one should be shooting for. The idea is to transcend the local media market.
    Ok. Nationally, people think Fargo is "cute" or "quaint". Either way, it's nothing more than fluff when real decisions get made.

For a smaller scale example, talk to people from Detroit Lakes about their town. They actually think it's a big deal. Maybe to some Fargo people for a couple months a year. Nobody else gives a shit but DL folks will argue it for hours.

Wrong.

P5 teams schedule games at G5 teams. More and more P5 aren't even putting FCS on the schedule.
    Outside of the B1G who else is not scheduling FCS?

Who cares? What do Gopher fans think of Bowling Green? Or really any MAC school?

That's what P5 thinks of G5. FCS gets about the same respect unless you want to argue about tiny differences.

Go back to watching your hockey team Johnny.

Who cares what Gopher fans think of Bowling Green? P5 administrations think enough of them that they schedule games on the road at G5 schools. I guess hosting a P5 game is a tiny difference now.

Who is my hockey team?

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Outside of the B1G who else is not scheduling FCS?
    ND, USC, UCLA. So 17/65ish teams and probably others that I can't think of. I thought another conference was going to stop but I might just be losing my mind.
    College of Business Alumnus

Only need one game a year so plenty still to choose from.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who cares what Gopher fans think of Bowling Green? P5 administrations think enough of them that they schedule games on the road at G5 schools. I guess hosting a P5 game is a tiny difference now.

Who is my hockey team?

ND, USC, UCLA. So 17/65ish teams and probably others that I can't think of. I thought another conference was going to stop but I might just be losing my mind.
    Those teams never have scheduled FCS have they? So not really any changes there.

Ok. Nationally, people think Fargo is "cute" or "quaint". Either way, it's nothing more than fluff when real decisions get made.

For a smaller scale example, talk to people from Detroit Lakes about their town. They actually think it's a big deal. Maybe to some Fargo people for a couple months a year. Nobody else gives a shit but DL folks will argue it for hours.

Good Greif man, you missed the point...the point is not what locals think of their media markets; rather that local media markets are not near as important as many think...at least according to a few articles that have been written. Bama et el are national brands not just followed by their local media markets. College FB is a national product, the higher the level the more eyeballs are on any given team reagrdless of local market.

The second point has to deal with the entire premise that started this side comment was my post, which was about transcending the local media market and gaining shares on a more regional national scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Only need one game a year so plenty still to choose from.
    Not really though. Next FBS game isnt for how many years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Those teams never have scheduled FCS have they? So not really any changes there.
    Fair. But when it goes from 3/65 to 17/65..that's a large increase.
    College of Business Alumnus

I can't speak to your state of mind, but I can't think of any conference but the Big 10 that won't schedule any more FCS teams.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix