Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Might as well get the argument started.

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Might as well get the argument started.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckYufarley View Post
    I'd have to dig a little deeper into the bowl bid format, but at first glance it looks like the mid major at large opportunity for bigger games is virtually nil these days. Is that right? No more Boise over OU type games anymore?

I know a P5 invite would be a real long shot, but they do like teams with a fanatical fan base. NDSU has that in spades. Honestly, what did the Big 10 have to gain by adding Maryland and Rutgers? Do they really bring that much to the table? I can't imagine that Bison Nation wouldn't dwarf either of those schools' fan base. I say they should kick those late comers to the curb and add NDSU and....Notre Dame. I know, I know, that'll never happen, but as far as raising the overall profile of the conference, it would raise the Big 10's status to the point they'd be neck and neck with the SEC. NDSU has the tools, they just need the money. Notre Dame is really going to have to join a conference to have a shot at the playoff on a regular basis. Right now they're looking at having to go unbeaten every year to have a shot. That's a hell of a lot harder to do now than it was just 10 years ago. I don't know what their beef is with the Big 10, they certainly play enough of the teams every year. OSU and Michigan would probably raise a huge stink if they ended up in the Eastern division though. NDSU has the one intangible that most of the Big 10 wished they had and can never buy and that's tradition. If you gave them Minnesota's budget, a stadium with 40K-50k capacity, and put them in the Western division, they'd play for the Big 10 title at least once every 3-4 years. We know they can compete with the Gophers and Hawkeyes. Who does that leave in the West? Wisconsin? Squeaked out a win over a winless Georgia State, who somehow went from a new FCS program in 2010 to FBS in 3 years. Nebraska? They look to be on the rebound so far this year, but losses in consecutive years to Minnesota tells you that they're just as up and down as any other team in the West. The only winning tradition that would rival NDSU in the West is Nebraska, but they've had a hell of a lot more big game losses than wins, so I'd give the Bison the edge. In the last 5 years, NDSU would have won the West probably twice. I'm certainly not the caliber of CFB fanatic who knows the dollars and cents of how the conferences operate, but adding NDSU might be a good business move. As far as the Big 12 is concerned, they have to add 2 teams just to reflect the name of the conference, and they'd better be quality teams if they want to move out of the P5 basement. NDSU with a serious budget is a good invite. They just need to find the money. You can't tell me NDSU doesn't have a Ralph Engelstad somewhere in their alumni rolls.
    I'm with you on this but the problem for NDSU is farther West in North Dakota. It's called Bismarck. More specifically the capitol which is filled with a bunch of idiot politicians who happen to be lawyers who also happen to have went to a different university in North Dakota. Hell will freeze over and they will do everything in their power to prevent NDSU moving ahead of their beloved university. Even though NDSU has forged further ahead then they ever will they are still a chain around NDSU's neck!

Listen. NDSU ADMIN needs to be soliciting like a full court press to mountain west.

It would improve all sports.

Fargodome at 20k would work at mountain west, (see Wyoming San Jose attendances)

Then NDSU needs to gather 4 major sponsors (Sanford, scheels, RDO, bobcat) to commit to $25 million over 25 years.
    To build a new $150 million semi enclosed 42,000 seat stadium east to west on the current practice fields.

NDSU keeps all revenue from it.

Then after 5 years of destroying the MWC, you hopefully get an invite into the big 12

But you need to start moving NOW! (2years ago woulda been better)
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by A1pigskin View Post
    There are so many hands in the the oil money bucket, nothing may be left.
    The biggest problem with the oil money bucket is that it only works if it's really big and you are really disciplined because you only get to fill it up once.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    The biggest problem with the oil money bucket is that it only works if it's really big and you are really disciplined because you only get to fill it up once.
    Exactly........

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    If you've been following bv for sometime you already know your answer . JFC
    Bingo. The typical troll job.

Interesting how everything from the countless discussions got covered.

Maybe El Lako has a new approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would definitely benefit the city of Fargo if the city would build a new outdoor stadium, they already have an indoor multipurpose arena. Just think of all the revenue to the city of Fargo on game weekend if they had a 50,000 seat stadium that was filled to capacity every other weekend in the fall. With a city sales tax to raise the revenue, I sure it wouldn't take long to get their money back. Not to mention the increased national exposure that can lead to more people moving to the city in the long term, which equals even more tax revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    It would definitely benefit the city of Fargo if the city would build a new outdoor stadium, they already have an indoor multipurpose arena. Just think of all the revenue to the city of Fargo on game weekend if they had a 50,000 seat stadium that was filled to capacity every other weekend in the fall. With a city sales tax to raise the revenue, I sure it wouldn't take long to get their money back. Not to mention the increased national exposure that can lead to more people moving to the city in the long term, which equals even more tax revenue.
    Also, I don't think it would need to be completed before we made a move or received an invite, but we would certainly need a solid plan. The Fargodome could still serve as a stopgap for 5 years or so.

Step one is the most difficult. Receive attractive invite.

I'm still not 100% sure where I stand on this subject.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

Can we stop this now!! No FBS conference is going to invite NDSU. Its about money. Fargo media market is too small. Also, NDSU would have to raise its athletic budget another 20 million a year!! Not going to happen. Lets enjoy ehat er have. In the current landscape of college football, NDSU is an FCS team...and currently the best.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Can we stop this now!! No FBS conference is going to invite NDSU. Its about money. Fargo media market is too small. Also, NDSU would have to raise its athletic budget another 20 million a year!! Not going to happen. Lets enjoy ehat er have. In the current landscape of college football, NDSU is an FCS team...and currently the best.
    Sounds similar to the talk when they built the FargoDome or when NDSU decided to move to DI.m You are either moving forward or backward. The idea that you are staying status quo is a fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBacker View Post
    Sounds similar to the talk when they built the FargoDome or when NDSU decided to move to DI.m You are either moving forward or backward. The idea that you are staying status quo is a fallacy.
    Look what's happening with the G5. They're an economic disaster. The TV money is shrinking, state support is decreasing and costs continue to increase. By not moving we are actually going forward. You want no part of that mess right now.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie