Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Might as well get the argument started.

Default Re: Might as well get the argument started.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckYufarley View Post
    How many of you would welcome a move to the FBS?

Yeah, I'm a Johnny-come-lately to Bisonville, but I've been following NDSU since the late 70s, lived in Fargo quite a long time, and have never liked the big fish in a small pond mentality. I thoroughly enjoyed that game today and my hat is off to the Bison and their faithful fans once again. When it comes to winning traditions, NDSU is absolutely one of the elite programs in the country. But time has come to sit at the grown-ups table and shut up all the naysayers once and for all. The Big 10 isn't scheduling FCS teams anymore and I figure the rest of the power 5 will soon follow suit once they realize what the implications are of any of their teams losing to an FCS team. Who does that leave for the Bison to embarrass once the power 5 won't schedule them? Ball State? Idaho? UTEP? It's getting to the point where NDSU is going to have to pay them to go to Fargo for a butt whipping. For now, you have one more behemoth to knock off, but that's 4 years away. I hope they can schedule a few more before it's too late.

I'm sure there are a number of threads on this topic, but I don't like bumping when they're older than half a dozen pages gone. Sorry.

Where do you stand when it comes to moving up?
    I think it is great you are passionate about this but you obviously haven't learned the culture of Bisonville. It is perfectly fine to add to existing threads, no matter how old they are. Everything you are bringing up has already been hashed out 100 times. I am not saying you can't bring it up again and it isn't anyone's place to say it isn't a worthy topic as thy can chose to read or not read on their own. If you would have read through the previous threads, you would have seen the arguments and your points would have fit in nicely with existing threads.

By the way, Maryland and Rutgers weren't brought in for their football acumen. They were targeted for their TV markets. Now if you had gone through previous discussions, you would know this is pretty much the starting point.

Yesterday, Coach said it best. We have a football playoff that works and gives teams opportunities to advance. I like it here fine personally.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I realize you are new here, and like people have responded to you. This horse has been beaten to death, then had the horse trailer backed over it, then beaten some more on this forum. I think to the point where neither side has the energy to argue their points anymore, even though it still comes up after wins like yesterday.

The head honchos at NDSU have a plan, I don't know what the plan is but I trust them.

One problem in comparing NDSU to other schools is how NDSU has grown rather rapidly. They have only recently reached 15k students, meaning the alumni base isn't as large.

On the TV side, like has been said here we don't offer the number of sets that a Rutgers or Maryland brings to the table so to decision makers that is a non starter.

TL; DR FCS>some Detroit bowl game

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

DakotaOkie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Don't give me the sad argument all the wusses in Minnesota had about needing a new dome instead of an open air stadium either. Yeah, an NFL playoff game outside in Minneapolis would be harsh, but a late November game outside in Fargo would be a cakewalk. The first 8 rings came at Dacotah Field, remember.
    I was at Dacotah Field after Thanksgiving the year they beat Towson in a DII run. It was NOT a cakewalk despite being a "relatively" nice day in North Dakota. It was cold, cold, cold and yet that was not a game that gets brought up when bad Fargo weather is brought up in football lore. It is one thing to wax nostalgic about cool September afternoon ball games in an outdoor stadium but late season (and better yet, post season) games can be brutal. Even the most hardcore fans will find better things to do when it is 20-30 degrees and the team is playing at .500 that year.
    I am ambivalent about the FBS type move until the big money schools pull out altogether and a new 1AA sort of system is established with what is now called the G5 (complete with real championship playoffs). The bowl game system became pure crap once it expanded beyond the traditional games between certain conferences (think Rose, Orange, Cotton, etc). Who really cares about the Autozone Bowl other than Autozone.

Yeah, I'm a Johnny-come-lately to Bisonville, but I've been following NDSU since the late 70s, lived in Fargo quite a long time, and have never liked the big fish in a small pond mentality. I thoroughly enjoyed that game today and my hat is off to the Bison and their faithful fans once again. When it comes to winning traditions, NDSU is absolutely one of the elite programs in the country. But time has come to sit at the grown-ups table and shut up all the naysayers once and for all. The Big 10 isn't scheduling FCS teams anymore and I figure the rest of the power 5 will soon follow suit once they realize what the implications are of any of their teams losing to an FCS team. Who does that leave for the Bison to embarrass once the power 5 won't schedule them? Ball State? Idaho? UTEP? It's getting to the point where NDSU is going to have to pay them to go to Fargo for a butt whipping. For now, you have one more behemoth to knock off, but that's 4 years away. I hope they can schedule a few more before it's too late.

I'm sure there are a number of threads on this topic, but I don't like bumping when they're older than half a dozen pages gone. Sorry.

P5 or nothing. G5 conference offers nothing but a shot at a shitty bowl game.

If you've been following bv for sometime you already know your answer . JFC
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Nope. Whey would the extra 20 million a year for the athletic budget come from?

Quote Originally Posted by wtffootballfan View Post
    Nope. Whey would the extra 20 million a year for the athletic budget come from?
    Oil money, of course!
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I think it is great you are passionate about this but you obviously haven't learned the culture of Bisonville. It is perfectly fine to add to existing threads, no matter how old they are. Everything you are bringing up has already been hashed out 100 times. I am not saying you can't bring it up again and it isn't anyone's place to say it isn't a worthy topic as thy can chose to read or not read on their own. If you would have read through the previous threads, you would have seen the arguments and your points would have fit in nicely with existing threads.

By the way, Maryland and Rutgers weren't brought in for their football acumen. They were targeted for their TV markets. Now if you had gone through previous discussions, you would know this is pretty much the starting point.
    I know that is the argument, but I would really like to know how that has worked out for the BIG? Pretty sure it has backfired for them. If your teams suck, nobody is going to watch even if the school is located in NYC. As far as I know, M & R haven't been lighting the world on fire in BB as well. Again, if you aren't winning, no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Skill View Post
    Oil money, of course!
    There are so many hands in the the oil money bucket, nothing may be left.