Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Might as well get the argument started.

Default Re: Might as well get the argument started.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    "Bring on the competition" would seem to indicate that when the MVFC starts getting watered down NDSU should look for better competition elsewhere instead of wallowing in mediocrity as they did in the 90's. It's not a matter of "being afraid". It's a desire to leave them behind for good because it's been a good thing for NDSU. I for one don't miss the rivalry, as mentioned in another thread it's not really very fun it's just toxic.

But yeah, I don't think there's any chance of FBS happening anytime soon. This next round of budget cuts could be painful and makes any talk of moving up political suicide. The only thing that could prompt it would be the great P5/G5 shakeout which doesn't seem as likely now as it did a couple years ago.
    This. In what world would moving up to FBS be running from competition? When I hear it I hear move of a screw the baby pool we're heading for the deep end than that we're afraid of little brother.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

I’ve thought about this question long and hard and here’s my conclusion - I have no f*cking idea.

However, there are a few things I am fairly certain of:

1. NDSU waited too long to move to FCS.
    2. The is no way the state could afford two FBS teams, let alone one.
    3. NDSU is currently playing at the 3rd level of D1 football.
    4. The G5 will never break away from the P5 (but a very small number of G5 teams will reluctantly drop down to FCS).
    5. The FBS playoffs will expand but not by much.
    6. It’s more about research stature and NDSU is a significant outlier in the ‘new and improved’ MVFC (we look much more like a G5 than any of the other three Dakota schools).
    7. Both MN and WI have only one true research/D1 school, which leaves room for one more and it better be NDSU – i.e. the market is there, even if the $$ is not.
    8. $$ is tight right now.
    9. Whoever pulls the trigger on this better be damn good with $$.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    It's not a matter of "being afraid". It's a desire to leave them behind for good because it's been a good thing for NDSU. I for one don't miss the rivalry, as mentioned in another thread it's not really very fun it's just toxic.
    This is a good point except for one thing, we will never be rid of them.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    I hear some Bison fans saying that UND moving to our conferences should be the final nail in the coffin for moving to FBS. Lets, for the sake of argument, throw out all the facts about needing money and a conference invite to do so. Do you realize how crazy you sound? You sound like, or at least giving the impression to und fans, that you are afraid of und being in the conference because they will be successful. That may or may not be true. But come on. Is "Bring on the Competition" not a thing anymore? It's time to get over yourselves about what und administrators did over a decade ago who aren't even there anymore. Their fans sucked then and do now so who cares what they said then or say now. I look at this a an opportunity to further kick their ass more often. Time to get off the FBS train kids.
    Look at next years schedule. BRING ON THE COMPETITION!

listen, you're probably the biggest NDSU sunshine pumper on this entire site. Please never tell me to get off of the FBS train because YOU'RE content where NDSU is a football program.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    I’ve thought about this question long and hard and here’s my conclusion - I have no f*cking idea.

4. The G5 will never break away from the P5 (but a very small number of G5 teams will reluctantly drop down to FCS).
    6. It’s more about research stature and NDSU is a significant outlier in the ‘new and improved’ MVFC (we look much more like a G5 than any of the other three Dakota schools).
    7. Both MN and WI have only one true research/D1 school, which leaves room for one more and it better be NDSU – i.e. the market is there, even if the $$ is not.
    1. Agree.
    2. Agree. If it ever happens, it isn't happening with two schools.
    3. Everyone agrees with this.
    4. This I contend with only because the G5 might not want to break away, but if the P5 continues to marginalize the G5 conferences, there may not be a choice. 1 major bowl and no objective method for getting there. 50% skill/50% scheduling or luck of your schedule in a given year. We don't even know if W.Mich was the best G5 school. They probably were, but there was nothing to determine it other than a subjective poll.
    5. Playoff expansion will probably not include the G5 conferences. It will only happen to protect the interests of the P5 schools.
    The rest are very good points.

I would add the G5 saw a drop for the first time in quite a while from all the bowl sharing revenue. They are slowly being squeezed out and only being kept around for scheduling purposes. A role they can still fulfill as a true second tier. No matter which way the G5 conferences want to look at it, they are not sitting at the big people's table. They aren't even in the same room. They are on the porch with the P5 conferences throwing them a bone once in a while so they don't stray too far because otherwise scheduling become a pain in the ass for those middle of the road P5 programs who need their 6 wins. Yeah, the ones going 3-5 in conference play and going to a bowl game because they are playing 2 G5 schools and wake forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    I hear some Bison fans saying that UND moving to our conferences should be the final nail in the coffin for moving to FBS. Lets, for the sake of argument, throw out all the facts about needing money and a conference invite to do so. Do you realize how crazy you sound? You sound like, or at least giving the impression to und fans, that you are afraid of und being in the conference because they will be successful. That may or may not be true. But come on. Is "Bring on the Competition" not a thing anymore? It's time to get over yourselves about what und administrators did over a decade ago who aren't even there anymore. Their fans sucked then and do now so who cares what they said then or say now. I look at this a an opportunity to further kick their ass more often. Time to get off the FBS train kids.
    Sometimes, a few of us NDSU fans deserve the Patton-treatment. It's a lot easier to bury UND by embarrassing them in competition; not by ignoring them and hope they just go away as if they are a wart.

Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post

This......F_ _ K Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Sometimes, a few of us NDSU fans deserve the Patton-treatment. It's a lot easier to bury UND by embarrassing them in competition; not by ignoring them and hope they just go away as if they are a wart.

Trading ysu for und if that is in fact what we wind up doing is not exactly bringing on the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Trading ysu for und if that is in fact what we wind up doing is not exactly bringing on the competition.
    My statement has nothing to do about YSU's wishes, but rather for some of us to stop acting like the world is coming to an end because our parasitic little brother is moving into our neighborhood.

Just smile at them when the pass by and beat their arses when they enter the field of play. We're the bigger and better team. As fans, lets act like it.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    My statement has nothing to do about YSU's wishes, but rather for some of us to stop acting like the world is coming to an end because our parasitic little brother is moving into our neighborhood.

Just smile at them when the pass by and beat their arses when they enter the field of play. We're the bigger and better team. As fans, lets act like it.
    Yeajh, i know. I meant to frame the other post....jdgef to change it.