Page 41 of 61 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Might as well get the argument started.

Default Re: Might as well get the argument started.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonVet View Post
    I can't speak to your state of mind, but I can't think of any conference but the Big 10 that won't schedule any more FCS teams.
    I probably read some tin foil hat article somewhere awhile back. Looked again and didn't see anything.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Not really though. Next FBS game isnt for how many years?

Fair. But when it goes from 3/65 to 17/65..that's a large increase.
    That probably has more to do with NDSU being unbeaten the last 6 games then anything else.

That's true but we'll see if that's a lasting change. Something tells me it may be fleating......just a hunch....

where's our 2018 & 2019 FBS GAME??>? what a joke. buyout the und game in 2019 and go get a guaranteed $500k and FBS WIN! much more national pub then stupid und
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    That probably has more to do with NDSU being unbeaten the last 6 games then anything else.

That's true but we'll see if that's a lasting change. Something tells me it may be fleating......just a hunch....
    This. Other FCS programs don't have any issue getting FBS games scheduled. It will be interesting to see if the Pac12 starts avoiding EW

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    This. Other FCS programs don't have any issue getting FBS games scheduled. It will be interesting to see if the Pac12 starts avoiding EW
    Now that strength of schedule is a factor, you can pretty much axe off most of fcs minus the 5 schools who don't hurt your schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Now that strength of schedule is a factor, you can pretty much axe off most of fcs minus the 5 schools who don't hurt your schedule.
    since NDSU has won so many FBS games you would think it wouldn't hurt them. Can we get a Boise State or a Hawaii type of game

So any of you "NDSU should go FBS" people excited to watch a meaningless bowl game in front of no fans and a Tueaday afternoon? Dont you wish the Bison could play in such a "big" game?! : )
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Strength of schedule is completely overblown and meaningless for anyone in a P5 conference. No undefeated P5 team will ever be left out of the playoff just because they played an FCS team. Pretty sure Alabama continues playing FCS teams and it didn't knock them out of the playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonwinagn View Post
    Strength of schedule is completely overblown and meaningless for anyone in a P5 conference. No undefeated P5 team will ever be left out of the playoff just because they played an FCS team. Pretty sure Alabama continues playing FCS teams and it didn't knock them out of the playoff.
    I agree with this. Iowa goes 11-1, even with a loss to NDSU, and wins the B10 championship; they are in the playoffs. What hurt Ohio State this season wasn't their SOS, it was a loss to Penn State and Michigan's loss to Iowa to force a three way tie in the division and knock Penn State out of the top spot of the division. Iowa on their side, even with the FCS loss, still was in the mix except their losses to Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Penn State were much more damaging than the loss to NDSU. It comes down to with the Conference Championships now, SOS pretty much has zero effect on the college playoff system. The overall wins and losses play a much more significant effect if there are more than 2 teams tied at the end of the season. Coming out of the B10, SEC, or Pac-12 having won the conference championship will have a much greater effect than a game 5 months earlier. Eventually, the P5 will have to expand to figure out a way to make the conference championship games even more meaningful now that the B12 will have theirs coming up. SOS arguments have quietly left the building and furthermore, probably put P5 schools back in the position to want to schedule a FCS or lesser G5 opponents. Probably doesn't help NDSU much, but might open the door for P5 schools to rethink their no FCS scheduling strategy. I don't think NDSU would have a problem with the top P5 schools running away, but the middle of pack schools who have bowl aspirations might look for easier opponents.

My hope is that the Big 12 will actually find their 10 team league AND a conference championship will knock their champion out of contention without a playoff expansion causing a further shakeup. Say a 11-1 team out of one division plays a 8-4 school out of the other side that just played the week before and the 8-4 school wins. Having a full round robin regular season is going to eventually cause issues with the conference championship game and the college football playoffs. Everything that causes turmoil for the P5 structure helps NDSU. It forces the G5 conferences to seek an identity.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Good Greif man, you missed the point...the point is not what locals think of their media markets; rather that local media markets are not near as important as many think...at least according to a few articles that have been written. Bama et el are national brands not just followed by their local media markets. College FB is a national product, the higher the level the more eyeballs are on any given team reagrdless of local market.

The second point has to deal with the entire premise that started this side comment was my post, which was about transcending the local media market and gaining shares on a more regional national scale.
    Really? Why did the B1G pick up Maryland and Rutgers? In sure it had NOTHING to do with media markets.

My point was that people from Fargo think it's a pretty big deal. The truth is that it doesn't register with really anybody associated with decisions like this. The failure to understand this causes a lot of angst and "what about us" comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk