Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamber Backs Bresciani

Default Re: Chamber Backs Bresciani

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I thought everything west (and somewhat north) of "Imperial" Cass was Western ND. Keep in mind, I'm an outsider and kind of base my opinion on what I have read and what I was told during my days at NDSU 20 years ago.
    It depends on where you grew up. If you grew up in the RRV, than everything west of Tower City(or Valley City if you prefer) is considered western. If you grew up in Bis/Man like Tony did, then you might consider western to start 20 to 50 miles west of the Missouri. Some might consider western ND to be the west half of the state, but not the cities of Bis/Man or Minot.

It also depends on if you're referring to the specific worldview common to the badlands area or simply an anti-Fargo/RRV worldview. Both views have merit depending on the context of the discussion.

Some of them don't believe in public education. But mostly it's a UND and Imperial Cass thing.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    It depends on where you grew up. If you grew up in the RRV, than everything west of Tower City(or Valley City if you prefer) is considered western. If you grew up in Bis/Man like Tony did, then you might consider western to start 20 to 50 miles west of the Missouri. Some might consider western ND to be the west half of the state, but not the cities of Bis/Man or Minot.

It also depends on if you're referring to the specific worldview common to the badlands area or simply an anti-Fargo/RRV worldview. Both views have merit depending on the context of the discussion.
    I grew up just west of the Iron Range in Minnesota. When I got to NDSU, I was told a few times by NDSU employees about the resentment towards the school and city by those in the western part of the state and how Cass County was nicknamed "Imperial Cass." That's why I refer to myself as an outsider, even though I went to NDSU and have a ton of relatives (I don't consider them close) living throughout North Dakota.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post

Bismarck was the cutoff for me.
    College of Business Alumnus

Anything east of McClusky was east for me growing up in the west side!
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

When I lived in Fargo I had a discussion with a guy from GF. I made the comment that anything west of Casselton was "western" ND. He comment back was "since when did the line move from Mapleton". I am from central ND and have always had that feeling but, I do not think that is the case as much anymore.

But it is really nice to see the Chamber supporting Pres. B. This can not hurt.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

West / East boundary is kind of fluid. There certainly are western aspects to central ND.

To me, if the place was ever on Mountain Time, it's west - so anything west of the Missouri and some bits on the Montana border north of the Missouri.

Why, when I think about the SBOHE spineless chair and her legislative masters reading this, does the following Bible verse come to mind:

and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Matthew 13:42

And it makes me smile as they still might get outflanked.....

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Why, when I think about the SBOHE spineless chair and her legislative masters reading this, does the following Bible verse come to mind:

and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Matthew 13:42

And it makes me smile as they still might get outflanked.....
    Well, I hope they DO end up reading it. It would be nice if it was in the Forum. It sounds like it is on the Chamber of Commerce Facebook or something. Maybe Rob Port will read it. The SBoHE probably has millions of things to read and they certainly are not going to go out of their way to read a FARGO chamber of commerce comment. I think it is GREAT though. To raise $33 million and wasn't it last year, NDSU raised $30 million. I am guessing this is in part due to the Challenge Fund thing but it is still very, very impressive. I think President Bresciani has done an exceptional job, a few misses here and there but, human like the rest of us.

If the other local and regional college presidents were subject to the same scrutiny and open records law and just plain nastiness of Rob Port, there would be a "leveling" of how we view colleges and presidents around here. I am willing to bet other college administrators are glad they don't have to deal with the same hatred we have to deal with all the time.

we need to keep the heat on the sbohe. they want dean gone. big time. so do streyle skarphol holmberg & anyone else wanting und to rise above ndsu again. we cannot sit idly by people!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?