Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best driving route to Iowa

Default Re: Best driving route to Iowa

I know 494 is a mess, if 694 is ok you could take that to 35E South, then US HWY 52 (pretty fast moving highway) to Rochester and that meets up with US HWY 63 to Waterloo, then I-380 right to Iowa City.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/image.php?u=1685&type=sigpic&dateline=1222838614[/url]

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Not sure if this the quickest route, but it's what we've done in the past. 94 to the cities, 35 into Ames where we're staying the night on Friday. From there, I'll take some of the aforementioned suggestions for getting over to Iowa City in the morning.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Check this site just prior to passing through Twin Cities to see where it might be jammed up.

http://hb.511mn.org/#area/minLat=44....CgoogleTraffic

I personally would avoid 169 south if you intend to pass through any time close to rush hour (6:30 am to 9:00 am, 3:30 pm to 6:00 pm). Highway 100 is actually one lane wider per side and newer pavement although it is under construction just south of 394 and so will choke off a bit for a couple of miles during rush.

What about 29 to sioux falls, then 90 to 35, then 35 to des moines and then 80 into Iowa City?

I don't know why this is so hard. I-35 north to Des Moine then east on 80. Less than 5 hrs. Easy!
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I don't know why this is so hard. I-35 north to Des Moine then east on 80. Less than 5 hrs. Easy!
    Not funny
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    Not funny
    Yeah, I'm moving back north soon enough. Won't have this joke for long.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Check this site just prior to passing through Twin Cities to see where it might be jammed up.

http://hb.511mn.org/#area/minLat=44....CgoogleTraffic

I personally would avoid 169 south if you intend to pass through any time close to rush hour (6:30 am to 9:00 am, 3:30 pm to 6:00 pm). Highway 100 is actually one lane wider per side and newer pavement although it is under construction just south of 394 and so will choke off a bit for a couple of miles during rush.
    100 is under constriction. 169 is a better choice right now if you're going to get off 494.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

I would download the waze app and use it to get across the cities of you're coming through closer to Friday afternoon, but all things being equal the quickest is to keep it simple and stay on 494, even with the construction, until 35w.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonAccountant44 View Post
    100 is under constriction. 169 is a better choice right now if you're going to get off 494.
    A lot of the issue with 494 is around France anyway, so 169 doesn't really save TOO much. I guess I almost never take 494 anymore when I come into the city, mostly 94 through town, even when going to Lyndale area of Richfield.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.