Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2016 WR Thoughts

Default Re: 2016 WR Thoughts

[QUOTE=thebigund;1142123]A real one trick pony

Its a classic case of how you measure a guys worth.....IMHO I take this guy every time

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

[QUOTE=MAKBison;1142129]
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigund View Post
    A real one trick pony

I am not saying he is not a great receiver, I am saying I will take a Ward over the a Moss any day. There is a reason one was a SB MVP and the other was not. There is a reason one played on like 7 teams and the other played on one.
    Randy's the GOAT. That's all I need to say.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

For the sake of bringing this conversation back to NDSU WR's, where are people coming up with their assumptions about Sean and his game speed? Is it from his high school tape or have you guys seen him play in person? A pretty recent post indicates he apparently can run in the 4.5's and that seems pretty quick to me, however CAS knows as well as anyone that game speed and a 40 time are two completely different things. I'll withhold any assumption about Sean and his game speed until I see him play an actual college football game.
    Last edited by 17>1; 08-24-2016 at 02:07 PM.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TwinCityBison View Post
    Sean is a long strider that runs extremely well and runs in the high 4.5's. He has a chance to be a 4.4 guy with a year in the program and with Kramer.
    I'm NOT calling you out by any means just want to say that SO many of these times from kids seem to be exaggerated. For instance the school up north is constantly thumping their chests about times in the 4.4 to 4.5 range and I simply don't believe it. Like CAS said earlier if he was indeed running at that clip, being 6'5'', he probably wouldn't be at NDSU.

Everyone seems to throw out this really fast 40 time but when it comes to Pro Day and Combine timers.... everyone that was a 4.5 seems to suddenly be in the 4.7 range. Even JC who's now in the NFL was a 4.6 IIRC.
    Last edited by mtoutfitter; 08-24-2016 at 04:17 PM.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinCityBison View Post
    Sean is a long strider that runs extremely well and runs in the high 4.5's. He has a chance to be a 4.4 guy with a year in the program and with Kramer.
    These guys nailed it, below, before I could even post.

Quote Originally Posted by 13>1 View Post
    For the sake of bringing this conversation back to NDSU WR's, where are people coming up with their assumptions about Sean and his game speed? Is it from his high school tape or have you guys seen him play in person? A pretty recent post indicates he apparently can run in the 4.5's and that seems pretty quick to me, however CAS knows as well as anyone that game speed and a 40 time are two completely different things. I'll withhold any assumption about Sean and his game speed until I see him play an actual college football game.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    I'm NOT calling you out by any means just want to say that SO many of these times from kids seem to be exaggerated. For instance the school up north is constantly thumping their chests about times in the 4.4 to 4.5 range and I simply don't believe it. Like CAS said earlier if he was indeed running at that clip, being 6'5'', he probably wouldn't be at NDSU.

Everyone seems to throw out this really fast 40 time but when it comes to Pro Day and Combine timers everyone that was a 4.5 seems to suddenly be a 4.7 or lower. Even JC who's now in the NFL was a 4.6 IIRC.
    Game speed is more important and being a long strider can be a disadvantage getting in and out of breaks...generally causing them to have to chop their feet or risk rounding out the routes. The advantage to it, IME, is that it's quite a bit harder to judge a long strider when you are playing in off coverage. I know, personally, I've had guys look like they were standing still until they were right on top of me. All of my knowledge of him is based on his HS highlight tape, so take that for what it's worth.

I'm also of the belief that in our system, we don't necessarily need a big body WR. Guys with quick feet that can sit in the zones in our west coast offense and then get YAC have worked pretty well so far. As long as we have a deep threat, we should be ok. If it happens to be Engel based on separation at the point of attack, I'd be more than happy. I just need to see it before I believe it.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

[QUOTE=thebigund;1142159]
    Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post

Randy's the GOAT. That's all I need to say.
    Wards a warrior Now back to SE :-)

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    These guys nailed it, below, before I could even post.

Game speed is more important and being a long strider can be a disadvantage getting in and out of breaks...generally causing them to have to chop their feet or risk rounding out the routes. The advantage to it, IME, is that it's quite a bit harder to judge a long strider when you are playing in off coverage. I know, personally, I've had guys look like they were standing still until they were right on top of me. All of my knowledge of him is based on his HS highlight tape, so take that for what it's worth.

I'm also of the belief that in our system, we don't necessarily need a big body WR. Guys with quick feet that can sit in the zones in our west coast offense and then get YAC have worked pretty well so far. As long as we have a deep threat, we should be ok. If it happens to be Engel based on separation at the point of attack, I'd be more than happy. I just need to see it before I believe it.
    Good post! Thanks!
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

From what I've read and what Coach K has said as well as hearing Engle was getting a lot of reps with the ones for a redshirt prior to his injury I think if he hadn't gotten injured in the middle of install and had picked up the offense he had a real solid chance of getting his shirt pulled. Hopefully the existing corps can step up because I think a guy like Sean could really flourish under Kramer. And while we might not *need* a big body receiver on the outside it is nice to have.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by thebigund View Post
    You're kidding right? Wines Hard over the best WR ever? GTFOH
    That's what I was thinking... you don't take Ward over Moss.