Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WTH!!!! Kuhnert suspended two games by NCAA

Default Re: WTH!!!! Kuhnert suspended two games by NCAA

I think the Dean has better things to do than worry about how one student is doing.

Hopefully he learns from the experience of having everyone know he failed to keep himself eligible. That'd be a tough pill to swallow.
    College of Business Alumnus

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBison View Post
    okay, I'm wrong. No one monitors students athletes academic performance except their college deans. The Dean is to blame. What college is Kuhnert affiliated with.... engineering, architecture, religion, animal husbandry, general studies, health and ...?
    Getting passable grades in college is easy. Why should coaches be babysitting adults?

VirginiaBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Oh, I see. Kuhnert didn't take tests. Probably a new concept... taking tests. And no one knew. Isn't there a quality control staff guy... what is that person's job? Sure Kuhnert is directly to blame, but no one else is concerned about student academics, progress and status on the team? Back in the day of ROTC they sure as hell kept track of our academic progress, but then that concerned national security, not national championships.
    You wanta play football, any school will do; ... You wanta learn football, NDSU is for you!

It's called student athlete for a reason. Academics should come first and to blame anyone other than the student is a joke. It comes down to the student being able to pass the classes, I'm sure he has a tutor to help if needed.

DakotaOkie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Grade issues are the responsibility of the student...period. There are tutoring opportunities for students (especially athletes at many schools). Here is the policy statement and rules directly from the NDSU website regarding student athletes:

As academic support providers, our goal is to help all student-athletes succeed and become better students. We believe that the student is solely responsible for their academic performance, and we will work to assist them in educational, ethical and developmental ways. We are responsible to the student, not responsible for the student.

NCAA Eligibility Reminders
    To be eligible any given semester, student athletes MUST:

Be registered for 12 credits (full-time) at the time of competition
    Be in good academic standing with the following cumulative GPA:
    1.80 prior to second year (third semester)
    1.90 prior to third year (fifth semester)
    2.00 prior to fourth/fifth years (seventh semester on)

To be eligible for competition, student athletes MUST have:
    Earned 6 credits the preceding regular term (Football players must earn 9 credits each Fall)
    Earned 18 credits since the beginning of the previous two terms
    Completed 24 credits by start of the third term
    May include up to 6 credits of summer school

In order to maintain eligibility, student athletes must make satisfactory progress towards degree completion:
    40% of degree completed by start of third year
    60% of degree completed by start of fourth year
    80% of degree completed by start of fifth year
    Five and six year program percentages are adjusted accordingly

So the moral is "go to class", study a bit, pass some of the tests...nothing too difficult for most college majors. I hate to see a player suspended but rules are rules and these rules are not the highest bar set out there.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Oh, I see. Kuhnert didn't take tests. Probably a new concept... taking tests. And no one knew. Isn't there a quality control staff guy... what is that person's job? Sure Kuhnert is directly to blame, but no one else is concerned about student academics, progress and status on the team? Back in the day of ROTC they sure as hell kept track of our academic progress, but then that concerned national security, not national championships.
    If there is a "quality control staff guy" who's to say he isn't doing a good job? How many FB players has this been a problem with?

VirginiaBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yep, I understand. Kuhnert is solely to blame for his academic performance. I knew that from before. But I thought the staff was interested in player academics also. I now understand that the HC, the OC, the LC, the PC, QCC, nor anyone one else is really interested in if the Center will be available for the game. Thanks for the perspective. You all have been very insightful, informative and helpful in understanding why a stipend scholarship athlete has no involved staff monitor or mentor and something like this happens. Glad to see the HC is 100% behind Kuhnert when he returns from suspension.
    You wanta play football, any school will do; ... You wanta learn football, NDSU is for you!

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yep, I understand. Kuhnert is solely to blame for his academic performance. I knew that from before. But I thought the staff was interested in player academics also. I now understand that the HC, the OC, the LC, the PC, QCC, nor anyone one else is really interested in if the Center will be available for the game. Thanks for the perspective. You all have been very insightful, informative and helpful in understanding why a stipend scholarship athlete has no involved staff monitor or mentor and something like this happens. Glad to see the HC is 100% behind Kuhnert when he returns from suspension.
    if there was an award given out for biggest asshole of the day. You would have won today.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Your posts are assuming much about the help he supposedly didn't get. Did you read something somewhere about it I might have missed?

Valuable reps for Volson now