Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: WTH!!!! Kuhnert suspended two games by NCAA

Default Re: WTH!!!! Kuhnert suspended two games by NCAA

Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    Yes I know they work very hard. I'm just saying the cost of an education is around 15-20 grand a year, think about how much that comes out to after 3-5 years. Just seems funny to me when people act like these kids don't get any compensation for playing football.
    What bothers me a bit too is stating that working a job for as many hours that athlete puts in you could pay for your school education too. So lets just take low end $15,000 a year for education so if somehow especially a high schooler or younger college aged kid gets a $15/hr job @ 1,000 hours a year is ~20 hours a week every week of the year. That doesn't count for the taxes that would involve or even paying for discretionary items such as gas to get to the job and insurance on car etc. Then go to school for 18-20 credit hours to graduate in 4-5 years... I can't imagine that would be any less hard work just in different ways. So yes don't "discount" the fact that a scholarship doesn't help getting the education part. Don't get me wrong not saying that this is easy. But now days getting a higher education is getting less and less easy by the year no matter how you achieve it.

There are benefits and cons to both sides. So lets just agree going to college is not for a slouch whether your an athlete or whether your an academic or whether you're a average joe working to make money to pay for it or you're a silver spoon and mom and dad pay for every last bit of it Athletes get benefit that if they are "good" they can essentially get out of college debt free (and like everyone else if they play it cool/smart with their finances) and can start putting their career earnings towards retirement earlier than someone who accumulates debt. You get to join a camaraderie that last a lifetime. You get to experience something many people don't in playing in a college football game. I'm sure not one of us HS football players that never did college ball didn't feel a twinge of wishing we were on the field when NDSU won the 5 national championships (not that is a guarantee for any college kid playing football..). I know I did. The downside is they get physically beat up some which may last a lifetime. They have to work out and put in lots of practice/film time.

That said I'm ever grateful for the privilege offered me to get my higher education, as my parents saw it as something very important to get so they offered their help but didn't pay all of it as I ended up with manageable student debt at the end that was paid off in 6-7 years, and I don't feel like I wasted any of that offer frivolously, as I did my best to do well and get good grades and stay out of trouble. Disclaimer: I did not graduate from NDSU, I went for one year and transferred to NDSCS and did 2 years and got my degree(s) there. It would have been same though whether NDSU or NDSCS imo.

I don't discount the players work ethic and "sacrifice" but to dismiss being out of college with a degree and little to no debt as not being a "benefit" is slightly twisting the truth, especially in this day and age where it appears that college education is becoming a bit less achievable. Trying not to sound like a liberal hippie that college should be free for everyone, but at same time have to recognize that cost of attendance is increasing like many other things yet more and more American's wages are stagnant, or so they say. College degrees are becoming more and more valuable in my opinion, because it seems either by choice or finances that fewer and fewer are getting degrees.

They do work very hard with practices and lifting and watching film. But how many students can say they graduated and don't have any loans. That's thousands of dollars they don't have to pay each year, just staying that they do get compensated for playing football.
    I worked 3 jobs and was in the National Guard to help pay for college. Sold some body fluids to PRACS too, only weights I lifted were pounders. I had debt ONLY because I choose to take out the maximum I could my last semester to live it up a bit. I bought golf clubs (which I still use), a grill and a bike and the rest I invested at Chubs.

What are we arguing about? These kids at NDSU that play sports SHOULD be compensated and they are...ANY college kid can graduate with very little or no debt at all if they work their ass off and make good choices (like is going to Stanford really going to matter when you're 35 and busting your ass working for the man?).

Yes I know they work very hard. I'm just saying the cost of an education is around 15-20 grand a year, think about how much that comes out to after 3-5 years. Just seems funny to me when people act like these kids don't get any compensation for playing football.
    The athletes are compensated. But at the FCS level they arent compensated like they are in FBS. Many are on partials in the FCS. So its not like its a free ride for most.
    Even with that lets compare a few things. Lets say its 20k a year and you go 4 years. Youre looking at 80K if you worked you wont owe that much.
    But lets still take the 80K. What does a brand new ranger boat cost???? Around 80K. SUVs? 40-50K. etc etc

Kid have had student loans since I can remember. Why the big bitch now?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by TateMosersneighbor View Post
    I worked 3 jobs and was in the National Guard to help pay for college. Sold some body fluids to PRACS too, only weights I lifted were pounders. I had debt ONLY because I choose to take out the maximum I could my last semester to live it up a bit. I bought golf clubs (which I still use), a grill and a bike and the rest I invested at Chubs.

What are we arguing about? These kids at NDSU that play sports SHOULD be compensated and they are...ANY college kid can graduate with very little or no debt at all if they work their ass off and make good choices (like is going to Stanford really going to matter when you're 35 and busting your ass working for the man?).
    Going to Stanford can certainly change what man you are working for.
    College of Business Alumnus

Part of the issue that is not being mentioned here as far as I can see is the fact that lots of dollars are being generated by the "work" college football players are putting in. LOTS of dollars. Certainly far less at the FCS level, but when you consider the amount of revenue that is earned because of the hard work of a bunch of college students and then consider whether they are being paid a commensurate amount... I think the answer is pretty clear.

I'm not advocating any particular solution to this injustice. Just making an observation.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Part of the issue that is not being mentioned here as far as I can see is the fact that lots of dollars are being generated by the "work" college football players are putting in. LOTS of dollars. Certainly far less at the FCS level, but when you consider the amount of revenue that is earned because of the hard work of a bunch of college students and then consider whether they are being paid a commensurate amount... I think the answer is pretty clear.

I'm not advocating any particular solution to this injustice. Just making an observation.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
    Do you know if that money is used to upgrade things such as the new weight lifting room in the Shaq, the new video boards, the new turf?

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The athletes are compensated. But at the FCS level they arent compensated like they are in FBS. Many are on partials in the FCS. So its not like its a free ride for most.
    Even with that lets compare a few things. Lets say its 20k a year and you go 4 years. Youre looking at 80K if you worked you wont owe that much.
    But lets still take the 80K. What does a brand new ranger boat cost???? Around 80K. SUVs? 40-50K. etc etc

Kid have had student loans since I can remember. Why the big bitch now?
    Like bootfitter said, it's the amount of money flowing in that has changed. While there's always been big money at big schools, it's gotten out of control in the last couple decades. TV contracts and big donors have pushed budgets into the $100M range at some schools. TAMU almost broke $200M last year. When you've got that much flowing in every year, and you say it's fair that the kids mostly responsible for it are getting the equivalent of $15k-$20k, that's when some people start to smell something.

It's not a massive problem at our level, but it's concerning at the mid/high P5 level.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Like bootfitter said, it's the amount of money flowing in that has changed. While there's always been big money at big schools, it's gotten out of control in the last couple decades. TV contracts and big donors have pushed budgets into the $100M range at some schools. TAMU almost broke $200M last year. When you've got that much flowing in every year, and you say it's fair that the kids mostly responsible for it are getting the equivalent of $15k-$20k, that's when some people start to smell something.

It's not a massive problem at our level, but it's concerning at the mid/high P5 level.
    This really isnt new. I can remember hearing basically the same thing back in the early 70s when there was a certain enlightenment toward the establishment. There were a few at iowa that were very vocal about how athletes were exploited and the most vulnerable because we had no rights or representation. It keeps raising it ugly head when some are looking to stir the pot or need a cause to wave a flag.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."