Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware Fargo! Black flags on the horizon!! (some CSU fun)

Default Beware Fargo! Black flags on the horizon!! (some CSU fun)

Beware Fargo there are black flags on the horizon!! Just like in 1718 when the infamous Blackbeard blockaded and plundered the Kings riches in the City of Charleston....the Bucs are sailing into Fargo to steal the FCS Kings glory!!!

Ok. So...just for some fun....where did your opponents nickname come from? No not the Blackbeard blockade of Charleston in 1718 (see video below, very interesting!). Obviously not from its Christian values since a pirate goes against it all.

When CSU was first founded in 1967 it had no athletic facilities. It had basketball and track along w other sports other than football. The AD and basketball coach went around Charleston all year begging for churches and high schools to let them use their facilities for games and practices until the new college could eventually build their own.

And.....eventually....local HS coaches began to refer to the CSU people as "pirates running around begging people" to use their stuff. Commandeering a church gym or middle school gym and slapping a CSU banner on it for the day. And it morphed into the Buccaneers (from what I hear) because the East Carolina Pirates and Pittsburgh Pirates already had that name (as if we compete w them haha) and we wanted something unique so we chose Buccaneers (Tampa Bay Bucs hadn't been founded yet).

And as for Charleston "Southern" and being located in North Charleston: When we changed from Baptist College to Charleston Southern it was to change our brand and boost enrollment. Same reason we started football. Anyway...wish there was a better story....but we saw Georgia Southern (northwest of Savannah which is an hour South of Charleston) and thought we'd emulate it. Seriously. We are pirates afterall haha.

So....just for some extra info for this week!!!

Now for a video of what we were NOT named after:

https://youtu.be/avhmESjjvDQ

Default Re: Beware Fargo! Black flags on the horizon!! (some CSU fun)

You'd probably have to go out to the Atlantic, around Florida, up the gulf to new Orleans, take the Mississippi River all the way into northern Minnesota and find some streams, lakes, passageways, rivers to get to Fargo. Hope this city is cannonball proof

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    You'd probably have to go out to the Atlantic, around Florida, up the gulf to new Orleans, take the Mississippi River all the way into northern Minnesota and find some streams, lakes, passageways, rivers to get to Fargo. Hope this city is cannonball proof
    Pretty sure the Missouri River and the Red River share some linkages. If you challenge some old Norwegian guy in Minnesota to do it in some era specific boat that he built from scratch, we can find out.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

Haha thanks we'll try to find our way!!! Hopefully we don't break down near the cesspool of mediocrity around Montana or the upper parts of Iowa!!!

(Had to throw that in there for you guys!)

Guess we don't want to tell him the direct route would be south from the Hudson Bay.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by bucs90 View Post
    Haha thanks we'll try to find our way!!! Hopefully we don't break down near the cesspool of mediocrity around Montana or the upper parts of Iowa!!!

(Had to throw that in there for you guys!)
    Do us a favor and blast the hell out of Iowa. Not that we need the help but I figure FCS compadres can come together for this common goal!
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by bucs90 View Post
    Beware Fargo there are black flags on the horizon!! Just like in 1718 when the infamous Blackbeard blockaded and plundered the Kings riches in the City of Charleston....the Bucs are sailing into Fargo to steal the FCS Kings glory!!!
    Better turn those flags upside down. If not on your way into Fargo...definitely on your way out.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    Do us a favor and blast the hell out of Iowa. Not that we need the help but I figure FCS compadres can come together for this common goal!

The while state or just the Hawkeyes??

And yes. I'll absolutely be a NDSU fan when you guys beat Iowa. I always root for FCS when vs FBS. I was jumping up and down yelling when yall beat K State!

I'm sure yall didn't see it but you should go watch CSU vs Vanderbilt from 2014....you won't believe how we let them off the ropes and gave them the win. Beat us by 1 point....and a freaking SIDELINE WARNING FLAG called back our would be winning play.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    Better turn those flags upside down. If not on your way into Fargo...definitely on your way out.
    Nah, they'll be flying at half mast upon their retreat
    cant wait to finally get this season kicked off!- also shoutout to Buc90, you've been a great guest, can't always say that for fans of opposing teams that visit BV
    “Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't” - Jerry Rice

Quote Originally Posted by HerdThat! View Post
    Nah, they'll be flying at half mast upon their retreat
    cant wait to finally get this season kicked off!- also shoutout to Buc90, you've been a great guest, can't always say that for fans of opposing teams that visit BV
    Back at ya! If we can't have some fun with football what's the point!?!?! You guys post on here during the game as well? Our USC Gamecock fans here do on CockyTalk and it's kinda fun. May drop in during game if so.