Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Some background on the Iowa program (for those who aren't so familiar)

Default Re: Some background on the Iowa program (for those who aren't so familiar)

Quote Originally Posted by BrewHawk View Post
    Thanks for the friendly reply! Again, my prediction isn't a slight to your beloved Bison, but moreso an indication of the potential of this Iowa team. It will likely be stronger than they were last year, whether the record is as good will be the question.
    Your welcome. However the bigger question besides keeping the beer cold or a cold Coke is fine, but whether Iowa can actually put 2 successful seasons back to back. They have not done that in over 12 years. Having 2 seasons of 1 or 2 losses only. By most teams having one loss or 2 is a successful season. We have mastered and answered that in the FCS 5 times over so the real question is actual fact based. Can the Hawks go 12-0 or 11-1 or 10-2 this year? They should as they have the return team to do it, but your only as good as your back up QB if your starter goes down and that is something to consider if either of our boys get roughed up. Chew on that one, it kind of stops all the chatter and really makes you think...... am I right?

Bison/Hawk clash, should be a doozy, ( a repeat of Michigan State/Iowa game last year in my opinion) 17-14 or 21-17. Tight battle.
    NoDakBisman.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Some background on the Iowa program (for those who aren't so familiar)

Quote Originally Posted by NodakGreg View Post
    Your welcome. However the bigger question besides keeping the beer cold or a cold Coke is fine, but whether Iowa can actually put 2 successful seasons back to back. They have not done that in over 12 years. Having 2 seasons of 1 or 2 losses only. By most teams having one loss or 2 is a successful season. We have mastered and answered that in the FCS 5 times over so the real question is actual fact based. Can the Hawks go 12-0 or 11-1 or 10-2 this year? They should as they have the return team to do it, but your only as good as your back up QB if your starter goes down and that is something to consider if either of our boys get roughed up. Chew on that one, it kind of stops all the chatter and really makes you think...... am I right?

Bison/Hawk clash, should be a doozy, ( a repeat of Michigan State/Iowa game last year in my opinion) 17-14 or 21-17. Tight battle.
    NoDakBisman.
    I would be ecstatic if we could hold them to 21 pts

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    I would be ecstatic if we could hold them to 21 pts
    2013 Bison defense did it to Kansas State, and that team's offense had some pretty good athletes.
    Hail the BISON!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/iowa-pr...135152726.html

New more welcoming mascot on the way?

NoDakBisman.
    Agree entirely. Ferentz hasn't shown the ability to handle success yet. He does learn from the past, so I have faith that we will make strides there. CJ does have to stay healthy, but we do have talent at the #2 and #3 (true frosh Nate Stanley is already challenging for the backup role).

Best of luck to you guys and hope both teams stay healthy and all Bison fans have fun (not too much) in Iowa City. Great Friday night and game day experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CND->NJ BISON View Post

In the words of PL...

Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

Quote Originally Posted by CND->NJ BISON View Post

I wonder who laughed harder after reading the professor's letter; Barta or Taylor?
    Hail the BISON!!!

NoDakBisman.
    I part of me is s guessing that previous iowa teams that were good were probably a very senior heavy.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by BrewHawk View Post
    Aww, you Millennial Metrosexuals from North Dakota are so cute when you're angry.
    Well CAS does wear blinged out jeans!
    "The desire to win is useless without the desire to prepare."

"I've coached in a lot of great venues during my career, but there is no place louder than the Fargodome. There is no verbal communication whatsoever when you are down on that field. It's unbelievable. It's the best atmosphere in college football - at any level." - Jeff Monken

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I part of me is s guessing that previous iowa teams that were good were probably a very senior heavy.
    Yes, you can pretty much predict Hawkeye success based on the program's retention rate. We had a few years in the late 2000s where there was approximately a 50% attrition rate. When you're a developmental program that has to have players around for 4-5 years to fully realize their potential, that puts a big chink in the armor because you're left playing players that have no business being on the field. Oddly enough, after our three consecutive #8 rankings to finish the 2002-2004 seasons, we pulled in an unusually highly ranked class of recruits in 2005, but alas, we lost half of that class as well and suffered the consequences in 06 and 07 because of it.

Evidently, there's a whole bunch of talented HS athletes that find out just how hard Iowa (and other programs) expect you to work to be able to realize your NFL dreams and can't cut it. Recruiting is such an inexact science, but when you can identify the kids who do want to put in the hours and effort, you end up with something like we did last year. Only issue is that a 50th ranked recruiting class is such because there aren't a lot of stud athletes in it, so sometimes you're just outclassed. No shame whatsoever in watching such a talent as McCaffery do what he did to us last year as he will be a shoe-in for the Heisman (and probably should have won last year) if he can stay healthy.