Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Some background on the Iowa program (for those who aren't so familiar)

Default Some background on the Iowa program (for those who aren't so familiar)

As I understand it, this will likely be the most high-profile game that NDSU has ever played, even despite your storied history in FCS, which is obviously so well deserved.

With that in mind, I thought I might share some thoughts on what I've experienced as an Iowa fan that might hopefully give you a bit more perspective on where we Hawkeye fans are coming from and lend some insight into our match-up that now looms just one month away. There aren't many programs that I would spend my time on composing this, so please take it as a sign of utmost respect of the Bison and what they've accomplished. I've observed your fanbase firsthand in Frisco and obviously, there aren't many more passionate crowds throughout the nation.

I have followed the Hawks from the time I was eight years old and watched them ascend to the Rose Bowl under an amazing renaissance under Hayden Fry who broke through in the Big Ten to throw a wrench into Michigan and Ohio State's dominance over the prior 13 plus years by bringing a relatively high-flying passing game into the conference that changed the face of things to come.

Over the past 30 years, Iowa has had a cyclical pattern ranging from very good years to some mediocre ones. This is evident even over the past decade, watching the Hawks win an Orange Bowl championship and fall to a 4-8 record. This has given Iowa fans an appreciation for success, but also leaves many of them wondering why it can't be sustained. There are several reasons for this that I'm not going to go into here, but suffice it to say that Iowa has been a program that surprises when nobody expects it and has disappointed when expectations are high. It goes without saying that I'm hoping for meeting expectations this year.

What we've seen in the past few years of Iowa football is essentially more of a re-invention than anything. In 2012, Iowa lost both of their previously 13 year-tenured coordinators who had been with Ferentz from the beginning. This thrust the program into uncharted waters and the results certainly weren't pretty as evidenced by the aforementioned 4-8 record along the way. Over the past few years, we've seen the juggling of position coaching assignments and a coming to understanding of how Ferentz wants things run by both new coordinators. Many have made fun of Greg Davis along the way and I've certainly disagreed with his playcalling patterns since he's been at Iowa, but I do think the struggles on offense have been more a factor of him not understanding the "Iowa Way" (read: lack of 4-5 star athletic ability) more than anything. Ferentz has total faith in his abilities and this is more than enough evidence for me to give him my support and patience. Last year was certainly a step in the right direction for quieting the critics.

So, who and what is Iowa football this year? We have a budding star at QB who played 75% of last year with his abdominal muscles ripped from his pubic bone and still lead the team to an undefeated regular season record. We have the best CB in college football returning, who teams stopped testing about halfway through the year, which kept his interception numbers from being even higher. We also have two new kickers who are unproven. When you play a style that values hidden yardage and getting points any way possible, it can be quite the scary proposition. The schedule is likely tougher than last year, but several key games are at home, which can make a significant difference when considering big picture. We have good pieces back on both the OL and DL, which bode well when considering the style the Hawkeyes play with, but are still unproven in pass protection and rushing the passer. The run offense and defense should be solid with a stable of three proven RBs and stout defenders up the middle at DT, MLB and SS. The WRs and TEs are still a work in progress, but there is talent in the younger ranks that may emerge in a big way as the season wears on.

Keys for me typically relate to the health of the team. This year the primary concern is keeping Beathard as close to 100% as we can. If you have an opportunity to go back and watch the Pittsburgh game from last year, you'll see him taking some huge (and likely illegal) hits throughout this game. He supposedly suffered his sports hernia on a dive for the pylon early in that game. Iowa can probably sustain some dings at RB and LB, but that's about it. We need the first string to be able to perform at a high level to have a successful season. We just don't carry the younger talent that's ready to play right away that the upper echelon programs do. When we're running at full strength, we can play with anyone. We certainly weren't even close to 100% in the Rose Bowl, and McCaffery is just a freak in general and essentially won that game by himself. Why we didn't gameplan to contain him better is beyond me, but Ferentz typically plays a base scheme that relies on everyone doing their job to accomplish the task, special scheming be damned. It really bit him in the ass in the Rose Bowl because we had no standard scheme that was going to slow Christian down that day (still so pissed about shitting the bed the past two bowl games). This gets to my way-too-early prediction for our game in a month. Iowa struggles with teams that either play an unorthodox style or those who can just throw insane amounts of talent on the field. As I see it, unfortunately for the Bison, you have neither. This isn't a slight in any way, shape or form, I just don't see NDSU out-Iowa-ing Iowa.

The Hawks are a team that was on the verge of greatness, but fell painfully short. They are a team full of returning veterans, but also have several freshman who look to contribute in a significant manner. They are a team that is lead by the epitome of consistency (Ferentz) who has been forced to break from the norm due to the changing landscape of college football. This is a program that has seen the ups and downs and are primed for a run not seen by any Hawkeye fan ever. I hope you all a treated well in Iowa City and have a great time in one of the Historic settings for a college football game at Kinnick Stadium. May the beer be cold and the spirits not too gloomy in defeat.

Hawks 40
    Bison 13

Looking forward to more good discussion over the next four weeks. Best of luck to you guys in weeks one and two. Can't wait to see the Bison in action and be able to better gauge the challenge in front of the Hawks.

No question that NDSU will head southeast expecting to win the game. You have a championship program with a championship attitude
    Last edited by BrewHawk; 09-06-2016 at 02:54 AM.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Some background on the Iowa program (for those who aren't so familiar)

what a fool

Default Re: Some background on the Iowa program (for those who aren't so familiar)

I quit reading right after this: "As I understand it, this will likely be the most high-profile game that NDSU has ever played". I don't even care what the rest says. Iowa isn't even the reigning Big 10 champ.

Damn we should just forfeit

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

NDSUBowler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Cliffs:

Blah Blah Blah

*unrealistic score*

Blah Blah Blah

40-13 is this the 2009 season?

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I quit reading right after this: "As I understand it, this will likely be the most high-profile game that NDSU has ever played". I don't even care what the rest says. Iowa isn't even the reigning Big 10 champ.
    It will likely be our first top 25 FBS matchup so I would agree with the OP

Quote Originally Posted by BrewHawk View Post
    As I understand it, this will likely be the most high-profile game that NDSU has ever played, even despite your storied history in FCS, which is obviously so well deserved.

With that in mind, I thought I might share some thoughts on what I've experienced as an Iowa fan that might hopefully give you a bit more perspective on where we Hawkeye fans are coming from and lend some insight into our match-up that now looms just one month away. There aren't many programs that I would spend my time on composing this, so please take it as a sign of utmost respect of the Bison and what they've accomplished. I've observed your fanbase firsthand in Frisco and obviously, there aren't many more passionate crowds throughout the nation.

I have followed the Hawks from the time I was eight years old and watched them ascend to the Rose Bowl under an amazing renaissance under Hayden Fry who broke through in the Big Ten to throw a wrench into Michigan and Ohio State's dominance over the prior 13 plus years by bringing a relatively high-flying passing game into the conference that changed the face of things to come.

Over the past 30 years, Iowa has had a cyclical pattern ranging from very good years to some mediocre ones. This is evident even over the past decade, watching the Hawks win an Orange Bowl championship and fall to a 4-8 record. This has given Iowa fans an appreciation for success, but also leaves many of them wondering why it can't be sustained. There are several reasons for this that I'm not going to go into here, but suffice it to say that Iowa has been a program that surprises when nobody expects it and has disappointed when expectations are high. It goes without saying that I'm hoping for meeting expectations this year.

What we've seen in the past few years of Iowa football is essentially more of a re-invention than anything. In 2012, Iowa lost both of their previously 13 year-tenured coordinators who had been with Ferentz from the beginning. This thrust the program into uncharted waters and the results certainly weren't pretty as evidenced by the aforementioned 4-8 record along the way. Over the past few years, we've seen the juggling of position coaching assignments and a coming to understanding of how Ferentz wants things run by both new coordinators. Many have made fun of Greg Davis along the way and I've certainly disagreed with his playcalling patterns since he's been at Iowa, but I do think the struggles on offense have been more a factor of him not understanding the "Iowa Way" (read: lack of 4-5 star athletic ability) more than anything. Ferentz has total faith in his abilities and this is more than enough evidence for me to give him my support and patience. Last year was certainly a step in the right direction for quieting the critics.

So, who and what is Iowa football this year? We have a budding star at QB who played 75% of last year with his abdominal muscles ripped from his pubic bone and still lead the team to an undefeated regular season record. We have the best CB in college football returning, who teams stopped testing about halfway through the year, which kept his interception numbers from being even higher. We also have two new kickers who are unproven. When you play a style that values hidden yardage and getting points any way possible, it can be quite the scary proposition. The schedule is likely tougher than last year, but several key games are at home, which can make a significant difference when considering big picture. We have good pieces back on both the OL and DL, which bode well when considering the style the Hawkeyes play with, but are still unproven in pass protection and rushing the passer. The run offense and defense should be solid with a stable of three proven RBs and stout defenders up the middle at DT, MLB and SS. The WRs and TEs are still a work in progress, but there is talent in the younger ranks that may emerge in a big way as the season wears on.

Keys for me typically relate to the health of the team. This year the primary concern is keeping Beathard as close to 100% as we can. If you have an opportunity to go back and watch the Pittsburgh game from last year, you'll see him taking some huge (and likely illegal) hits throughout this game. He supposedly suffered his sports hernia on a dive for the pylon early in that game. Iowa can probably sustain some dings at RB and LB, but that's about it. We need the first string to be able to perform at a high level to have a successful season. We just don't carry the younger talent that's ready to play right away that the upper echelon programs do. When we're running at full strength, we can play with anyone. We certainly weren't even close to 100% in the Rose Bowl, and McCaffery is just a freak in general and essentially won that game by himself. Why we didn't gameplan to contain him better is beyond me, but Ferentz typically plays a base scheme that relies on everyone doing their job to accomplish the task, special scheming be damned. It really bit him in the ass in the Rose Bowl because we had no standard scheme that was going to slow Christian down that day (still so pissed about shitting the bed the past two bowl games). This gets to my way-too-early prediction for our game in a month. Iowa struggles with teams that either play an unorthodox style or those who can just throw insane amounts of talent on the field. As I see it, unfortunately for the Bison, you have neither. This isn't a slight in any way, shape or form, I just don't see NDSU out-Iowa-ing Iowa.

The Hawks are a team that was on the verge of greatness, but fell painfully short. They are a team full of returning veterans, but also have several freshman who look to contribute in a significant manner. They are a team that is lead by the epitome of consistency that has been forced to break from the norm due to the changing landscape of college football. This is a program that has seen the ups and downs and are primed for a run not seen by any Hawkeye fan ever. I hope you all a treated well in Iowa City and have a great time in one of the Historic settings for a college football game at Kinnick Stadium. May the beer be cold and the spirits not too gloomy in defeat.

Hawks 40
    Bison 13

Looking forward to more good discussion over the next four weeks. Best of luck to you guys in weeks one and two. Can't wait to see the Bison in action and be able to better gauge the challenge in front of the Hawks.

No question that NDSU will head southeast expecting to win the game. You have a championship program with a championship attitude
    Pretty good post on the history and state of Iowa football.

I will disagree on the score.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Green1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I appreciate the O.P. posting this. I like hearing the views of opposing fan bases but I have to call b.s. on N.D.S.U. trying to out Iowa on Iowa. We are the epitome of pound your ass, old school football. It would be a mistake ( one I hope Iowa is making) for Iowa fans to think that somehow the rules of physics don't apply to them. Mass x velocity = force. Prepare for that. Iowa did not invent it. It will be old school football and Iowa wasn't the first and it isn't the best.

Again, thank you for posting. Lunch is on you.

Green1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    It will likely be our first top 25 FBS matchup so I would agree with the OP
    Kansas St. (defending Big 12 champion) was in the top 25.