Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 Rule Changes

Default Re: 2016 Rule Changes

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Some rules (current ones as well) are so wordy and confusing that I don't even know what it conveys
    Go to love legalese.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Some rules (current ones as well) are so wordy and confusing that I don't even know what it conveys
    Trying to figure out the cut block rule. Sounds like a lead blocker can cut a tackler as long as the ball carrier crosses the LOS and they block them head on. I thought that was the rule anyways.

Confused on the QB hits rule too. I would assume that's not applicable when he's outside the pocket? Wasn't that the rule anyways?

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Trying to figure out the cut block rule. Sounds like a lead blocker can cut a tackler as long as the ball carrier crosses the LOS and they block them head on. I thought that was the rule anyways.

Confused on the QB hits rule too. I would assume that's not applicable when he's outside the pocket? Wasn't that the rule anyways?
    That situation didn't really change much. Some key changes are wideouts and backs outside the tackle box have to keep their blocks from the front (not side) at all times (lineman have some ability for low blocks from the side in the tackle box). Those same players though can't block low back toward the middle of the field until the play has "developed". That is defined as the runner has gone beyond the LOS. That's probably what you are hearing. The last part is trying to eliminate the crack back block if you know that terminology. There is a little more to it, but if you keep it in the front of the defender and you aren't going back toward the middle of the field, you are usually OK.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    That situation didn't really change much. Some key changes are wideouts and backs outside the tackle box have to keep their blocks from the front (not side) at all times (lineman have some ability for low blocks from the side in the tackle box). Those same players though can't block low back toward the middle of the field until the play has "developed". That is defined as the runner has gone beyond the LOS. That's probably what you are hearing. The last part is trying to eliminate the crack back block if you know that terminology. There is a little more to it, but if you keep it in the front of the defender and you aren't going back toward the middle of the field, you are usually OK.
    I was listening to Bison 1660 and they said the says of a cut block are gone. They must have misunderstood it too. Glad to hear they are not. One of my favorite plays ever was the playoff game vs Coastal when Crockett runs
    OT and the lead blocker Jedre Cyr destroyed the tackler with a cut rolled and runs down the field with Crockett to block another guy.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I was listening to Bison 1660 and they said the says of a cut block are gone. They must have misunderstood it too. Glad to hear they are not. One of my favorite plays ever was the playoff game vs Coastal when Crockett runs
    OT and the lead blocker Jedre Cyr destroyed the tackler with a cut rolled and runs down the field with Crockett to block another guy.
    If I have taught you nothing else you should know to never listen to announcers for rules knowledge. Coaches and players are close behind and depends on how much they learned from announcers. In general a lead blocker can still cut as long as it's from the front (think 10 to 2 on a clock) on a play that doesn't involve a kick or after a change of possession. The two exceptions are the players who were outside the tackle box and came back to the middle of the field before the runner crosses the neutral zone or back toward your own goal line once the ball leaves the tackle box. Neither of those would likely involve a lead blocker. Prior to this rule change an OL could cut a LB from the front or side (9 to 3 on a clock). Now that block has to be 10 to 2 if it's beyond the neutral zone.

For comparison sake in HS, low blocks are only allowed by OL against DL in a box 8 yards wide and 6 yards deep on either side of the ball at the snap and while the ball is still in that zone (known as the free blocking zone). The ball generally leaves that zone fairly quickly on most plays so it you aren't cutting at the snap, it's likely illegal. I wouldn't be surprised to see college football move closer to that rule. I know the NCAA rules editor would like that, but he has to rely on the rules committee (made up of coaches and administrators) to make that change.