Page 92 of 132 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: Kolpack and Izzo can't like this

Default Re: Kolack and Izzo can't like this

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    To understand the Forum coverage of NDSU, you need to understand that there are at least three different factions within the Forum. You've got Jeff and Dom that are definitely pro-NDSU. NDSU has to really screw up(or piss them off) for them to write something negative. Then you've got the neutrals. Pretty much all the rest of the writers fall into this category including Peterson and Amy Dalrymple(the non-sports NDSU beat writer).

Then there are the editors. Almost every one is anti-NDSU to varying degree; Schnepf included. I'm fairly confident that this comes from the top(Marcil). FCC losing the Bison media contract and the president's house fiasco(Marcil was the major donor) soured the relationship. You can see the anti-NDSU bias at work by reading the headlines on NDSU stories(editors write the headlines). Read a headline, read the story but don't let the headline affect your opinion, then go back to the headline and see if it tried to influence your perception of the story. In almost every case, the headline is written to give you a negative view of NDSU, no matter the content of the story. It's subtle, but it's a 'death by a thousand paper cuts' sort of thing.

*McFeely is a special case. He's not pro-, anti-, or neutral. His job is to be a gadfly. Sometimes that will be in support of NDSU, sometimes against. It's a different kind of neutral.
    Hail the BISON!!!

To understand the Forum coverage of NDSU, you need to understand that there are at least three different factions within the Forum. You've got Jeff and Dom that are definitely pro-NDSU. NDSU has to really screw up(or piss them off) for them to write something negative. Then you've got the neutrals. Pretty much all the rest of the writers fall into this category including Peterson and Amy Dalrymple(the non-sports NDSU beat writer).

Then there are the editors. Almost every one is anti-NDSU to varying degree; Schnepf included. I'm fairly confident that this comes from the top(Marcil). FCC losing the Bison media contract and the president's house fiasco(Marcil was the major donor) soured the relationship. You can see the anti-NDSU bias at work by reading the headlines on NDSU stories(editors write the headlines). Read a headline, read the story but don't let the headline affect your opinion, then go back to the headline and see if it tried to influence your perception of the story. In almost every case, the headline is written to give you a negative view of NDSU, no matter the content of the story. It's subtle, but it's a 'death by a thousand paper cuts' sort of thing.

*McFeely is a special case. He's not pro-, anti-, or neutral. His job is to be a gadfly. Sometimes that will be in support of NDSU, sometimes against. It's a different kind of neutral.
    Ok, so Marcil was the biggest donor for the president's house, how did that sour their relationship? I don't get it.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Ok, so Marcil was the biggest donor for the president's house, how did that sour their relationship? I don't get it.
    Marcil gives a million each to UND and NDSU. It was supposed to be a way to get Grand Forks on his side because he had just bought the Herald and GF has historically disliked the Forum. He gave an equal amount to NDSU, probably to be fair. It should have been wonderful PR. The universities get nice houses without it costing the taxpayers a dime. Instead, the term 'president's house' becomes a curse word due to Chapman and (to a lessor degree) Kupchella. Two million bucks down the drain for nothing. It would piss me off.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hammersmith again.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Marcil gives a million each to UND and NDSU. It was supposed to be a way to get Grand Forks on his side because he had just bought the Herald and GF has historically disliked the Forum. He gave an equal amount to NDSU, probably to be fair. It should have been wonderful PR. The universities get nice houses without it costing the taxpayers a dime. Instead, the term 'president's house' becomes a curse word due to Chapman and (to a lessor degree) Kupchella. Two million bucks down the drain for nothing. It would piss me off.
    Never really thought about it that way, makes perfect sense to me. I still never understood the uproar other than cause Nort Duhkotah.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

For what Chapman did for NDSU, I would have given him a 5 million dollar house...it's not like he was taking it with him.
    Grandeur is not in the North Dakota vocabulary nor has it ever been, from state capital buildings to city halls to basketball arenas...it's ok to build something worth looking at once in a while, every other state does.

Sorry got off point a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    I don't think anyone has a problem with NDSU putting some restrictions on gameday and broadcasting. I just think they took things too far. I mean live-blogging? Really what does that hurt? Not allowing the head coach to appear on any other radio station? Not allowing other media to talk to the head coach, assistant coaches or players during the season without getting permission and then coming out and saying anyone asking would probably be denied?

Personally,. I wouldn't have had a problem with NDSU saying no to pregame shows on campus or limiting the amount of highlights that can be shown on competing stations. I think those restrictions are fine and as the rights holder you should have that privilege, but the other things just went too far.

Baylor U is keeping THIER assistants off limits. Where's mcdummy & baldpack comments on this?? actually having NDSU cave in because of a bunch of small timers with pitchforks really makes me see that THEY HAVE ZERO BALLS TO ASK FOR A FBS INVITE OR GOD FORBID A NEW STADIUM. Embarrassing http://www.espn.com/college-football...s-media-season
    Last edited by El_Chapo; 08-04-2016 at 07:43 PM.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Baylor U is keeping THIER assistants off limits. Where's mcdummy & baldpack comments on this?? http://www.espn.com/college-football...s-media-season
    But other schools dont have media restrictions

Neither of you are dumb enough to think this is the same thing.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Neither of you are dumb enough to think this is the same thing.
    You may not like it but what was being proposed is going to become more commonplace. You either lead or you follow. NDSU has always been a leader. Increasing the value of the media contract means more money for NDSU. Yes it could have been handled better and it needs to be tweaked but this isn't going to go away. McFeely and Kolpack may have gotten their way for now but I don't see it being over with. People want NDSU to continue to be a leader by having a winning tradition. That takes $$$. Tickets can only go up so much in price but you can't sell more tickets at the current time due to being hamstrung by the domes capacity. They are looking at other methods to raise more money. Media contract is one of them. I fully support that effort. If McFeely and Kolpacks employer is to damned cheap to make a decent bid and win the rights well to damn bad I say. They can still do their jobs and will. Like I said the details/restrictions may need to be tweaked and not quite so restrictive but the value of the contract needs to be protected. Right now I don't believe it is. That's partly due to NDSU/Matt Larsen not being clear in the RFP but that I believe will and should change to protect it. I believe they were being proactive not reactive. Your last comment is from someone who subscribes to the reactive approach. That will leave you in the dust behind the leaders everytime. Not a place I want NDSU to be.