Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NDSU Bison Football-Fall Camp

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default 2016 NDSU Bison Football-Fall Camp

Looking forward to camp starting soon, and figured this could be a great spot to discuss all things Bison football during the weeks leading up to our season opener. I know practices aren't as open as they used to be so anyone with some inside info, please share with the rest of us.

What are the big storylines to follow?

Who are the guys turning heads in camp?

Unfortunately, injuries are a part of any football team, what are they and how serious are they?

Who are the guys most likely to not redshirt this year?

I'm looking forward to the battle at starting left tackle spot, the development of our secondary unit, and our special teams. Always love the new identity each team brings every season, especially with a brand new starter under center.

Go Bison!!
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Default Re: 2016 NDSU Bison Football-Fall Camp

I'm not sure I'd call Stick a brand new starter, though I see what you mean. Personally I want to see the bruising run game that we developed late last year be at the forfront this year, supported by an improved Stick passing attack. Three headed monster set would be pretty neat to see on the field a little more with King, BRUUUUUCE and Morlock out there hitting on all cylinders. It'll be interesting to see who steps up at TE and WR, yes we've got Shepard and Legendowski back, but who's the next reciever to step up big?

Really interested to see how the CB situation develops too.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 13>1 View Post
    Looking forward to camp starting soon, and figured this could be a great spot to discuss all things Bison football during the weeks leading up to our season opener. I know practices aren't as open as they used to be so anyone with some inside info, please share with the rest of us.

Unfortunately, injuries are a part of any football team, what are they and how serious are they?

I'm looking forward to the battle at starting left tackle spot, the development of our secondary unit, and our special teams. Always love the new identity each team brings every season, especially with a brand new starter under center.

Go Bison!!
    Very good post...I'm looking forward to a lot of the same things!
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTech View Post
    I'm not sure I'd call Stick a brand new starter, though I see what you mean. Personally I want to see the bruising run game that we developed late last year be at the forfront this year, supported by an improved Stick passing attack. Three headed monster set would be pretty neat to see on the field a little more with King, BRUUUUUCE and Morlock out there hitting on all cylinders. It'll be interesting to see who steps up at TE and WR, yes we've got Shepard and Legendowski back, but who's the next reciever to step up big?

Really interested to see how the CB situation develops too.
    I agree, the kid had 8 starts, and isn't your prototypical "new" quarterback. But he's no longer the backup filling in for Carson. It's his starting job now, and his mindset has got to be different. The identity of this offense will have a new look with him under center, and you're right, we need to see an improved passing attack from him and his core of WR's. He'll be getting the majority of reps now, and his timing should improve. I really like the idea of redshirting kids. But if this Engle kid comes in a tears it up in camp, let's get him out there and throw him those jump balls.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Definitely in my mind, the biggest story line of the season is Easton Stick and how he performs. Here's a guy who is taking over for a two-time national champion starting QB.........AND, lest we forget, the 2nd overall pick in the entire NFL Draft (!) - Mr. Carson Wentz. Think about THAT for a moment. Talk about the spotlight.............here you go, son, no pressure!

Wentz, of course, had a lot of eyes on him when he took over for 3-time national champion starting QB...........AND, lest we forget, all-time winningest FCS signal-caller, Mr. Brock Jenson! But Stick's expectations under the microscope will be ratcheted up even more (IMO)...............to almost ridiculous levels for any young player. It's going to be fun to watch him lead and succeed!

Quote Originally Posted by 13>1 View Post

Go Bison!!
    Top storylines to follow for me, in order of importance: special teams (improvement at kicker, finding someone to kickoff, new punter), competition in the entire secondary, LT battle between Connor and young Zach Johnson, developing depth in the OL with Volson/Bacon/Triplett, seeing Stick's progression as a passer, and finding out if Engel will see the field.

Most likely not to redshirt: Sean Engel. Distant second would be at CB or FB, if a recruit comes in and blows everyone away. We should have plenty of depth in the rest of the offense and front 7 to allow everyone to redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    Definitely in my mind, the biggest story line of the season is Easton Stick and how he performs. Here's a guy who is taking over for a two-time national champion starting QB.........AND, lest we forget, the 2nd overall pick in the entire NFL Draft (!) - Mr. Carson Wentz. Think about THAT for a moment. Talk about the spotlight.............here you go, son, no pressure!

Wentz, of course, had a lot of eyes on him when he took over for 3-time national champion starting QB...........AND, lest we forget, all-time winningest FCS signal-caller, Mr. Brock Jenson! But Stick's expectations under the microscope will be ratcheted up even more (IMO)...............to almost ridiculous levels for any young player. It's going to be fun to watch him lead and succeed!
    I completely disagree on the pressure on Stick. All the pressure in the world was thrust upon him last year to continue a run that's unheard of, and he came through undefeated. Yes, the improved defense helped tremendously, but he also led the team to some comeback wins. In my opinion, he'll get the same support the team gave him last year and he'll use the extra 8 games of starting experience to his advantage. I think we're going to see a really fun offense on the field this year starting and ending with the run game. Think early Brock but Stick has better legs.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

I think the competition at D-line is going to be fun to watch. Ambrosius, Menard, Tanguay, and Steidl are pretty clearly the starting group but when the Bison defense is clicking they're rotating 8-10 d-lineman in there. For the DE group guys like Stanley Jones, Caleb Butler, the Tuszka brothers, and Cole Karcz are all going to challenge for snaps and at DT there's some upper classmen like Grant Morgan and Blake Williams waiting in the wings along with the trio of heralded redshirts in Carlton, Hubbs, and Darnell. All in all it looks like the D-line is absolutely stacked.

I'm most interested in offense; LT, FB and WR. Also, the competition for the #2 spot at QB.
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I think the competition at D-line is going to be fun to watch. Ambrosius, Menard, Tanguay, and Steidl are pretty clearly the starting group but when the Bison defense is clicking they're rotating 8-10 d-lineman in there. For the DE group guys like Stanley Jones, Caleb Butler, the Tuszka brothers, and Cole Karcz are all going to challenge for snaps and at DT there's some upper classmen like Grant Morgan and Blake Williams waiting in the wings along with the trio of heralded redshirts in Carlton, Hubbs, and Darnell. All in all it looks like the D-line is absolutely stacked.
    Agreed. The crazy part: Ambrosius is the only senior on the entire D-line.