Page 16 of 147 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Verbal: Christian Watson

Default Re: 2017 Verbal: Christian Watson

[QUOTE=HerdBot;1556689]I don't want to hi jack a thread about Watson, but Vraa would catch everything.

But Watson is so fast, he would have caught this ball in the end zone untouched and wouldn't have had a d back running stride for stride with him.

Curious to know Vraa's 40 speed. Cooper Kupp clocked 4.62, I think Vraa's timing cant be much different.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I seem to remember a pretty crucial drop against Sam Houston in the spring. I don't remember any this fall though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 123Gobison View Post

Curious to know Vraa's 40 speed. Cooper Kupp clocked 4.62, I think Vraa's timing cant be much different.
    NFL is laser timed, so it's always slower

Vraa claimed he ran a 4.7 out of high school and claimed he was a 4.5 according to this article. https://www.thedickinsonpress.com/18...-ndsu-receiver

It could have been a 4.51 or a 4.59 which is a big difference. High school could have been 4.71 or 4.79.

A 4.59 hand held is probably closer to a 4.79 laser timed. But the 4.7 in high school was probably 4.79 and closer to 4.99

I quit trusting self reported athletes measurables when Bartholomew Ogbu went from 6-6 to 6-2

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Watson has improved dramatically over the years, but to compare his hands to Vraa and Heckendorf is just silly. Watson can do things the other two could never do, but just stop on the straight up hands comparison.
    That doesn't mean that Watson didnt have many nice catches and this year especially I think he made huge strides making contested catches.
    I'd even go as far as saying he's not top 10 in straight up hands discussion. [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Absolutely. How many times has he run down the field with a running back as they score making it look effortless while all the DB are left in the dust. I'm going to be shocked if he doesn't post an impressive number in the 40.
    He’s not really a quick burst guy, so hopefully he works on his starts between now and the combine. Otherwise I don’t think his time is going to be as fast as it needs to be to stand out. Which would be a shame because his top end speed will be just as fast as any ones there.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouxHockeyBisonFo View Post
    Watson has improved dramatically over the years, but to compare his hands to Vraa and Heckendorf is just silly. Watson can do things the other two could never do, but just stop on the straight up hands comparison.
    That doesn't mean that Watson didnt have many nice catches and this year especially I think he made huge strides making contested catches.
    I'd even go as far as saying he's not top 10 in straight up hands discussion. [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    “Hands” comparison is just as silly as 40 time. Out of context they’re both worthless.

Knew a kid in HS that ran a 4.5 but as soon as the ball went in the air his brain wouldn’t allow him to sprint while concentrate on the ball. Slowed down to lineman speed. Add in actually catching and it was out of the question. Less than 3 catches his senior year as a WR.

Can have the fastest 40 or the best hands but if you can’t play fast then you’re worthless. Look at Shep, he can do everything except hold his own at the LOS and he’s pretty much worthless in the NFL.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

The 40 is one of the most over rated FB player stats ever. It's a sprinters stat not a great measure of a FB players ability. You can have an awesome 40 time but if you can't get off the line against press coverage, run good routes or catch the ball it is pretty meaningless. It always amazes me how so many NFL people still put so much stock into combine numbers.

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    The 40 is one of the most over rated FB player stats ever. It's a sprinters stat not a great measure of a FB players ability. You can have an awesome 40 time but if you can't get off the line against press coverage, run good routes or catch the ball it is pretty meaningless. It always amazes me how so many NFL people still put so much stock into combine numbers.
    Green bay almost exclusively drafts really high RAS scores off combine measurements. Seems to be working ok for them as opposed to whatever the hell Minnesota does. Not saying ignore football skills but tie does to the better athlete

Every Christian Watson TD at NDSU:

The second catch was pretty awesome... and the one at 3:44 was insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    It's not everything but it's certainly important. What gets me is when people think a 4.6 ot 4.7 is slow. That's still really fast, especially at the college level. The average Joe will run a 6 to 8 second 40

One of my favorite videos is Rich Eisen at the NFL draft and he ran a best time of a 6 flat and he trained for a year. They compared it to NFL guys and its one of the funniest things you will ever see

Basically everyone at the NFL combine is there because they are a great football player. They can block, run good routes. In many cases, speed is the only differentiator. NFL rules don't allow any contact after 5 yards so its becoming more important

The 40 isn't a sprinter measure. They dont run it in high school or college track. it was invented because of punt coverage times but the most valuable part of a 40 is the 10 yard split IMO

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com