Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Special Teams Discussion

Default Re: 2016 Special Teams Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Alsen View Post
    I'm more concerned about the secondary. I keep watching last years games over and over and over again. Grimsley absolutely sucks. I have seldom beheld a more over-hyped player at any level.

Bison need three guys to step up and become solid players right away.

We may have that in Darrin Kelley, Dom Davis, Jaylaan Wimbush,Jaxon Brown,Bachmeier, and several other guys may compete as well, but, for those counting on Grimsley to be a pillar in this defense.......Go watch the film!!

If Robbie legitimately wins the position this fall then more power to him; however, if he is the same guy as last year and is a shoe-in at SS, then I'm calling foul. I saw the kid on film just outright take a dive to avoid contact on more than one occasion. We need an intimidator at SS, not a wussy who is himself intimidated. O.K. so he is 184 pounds.....fine, move him to nickel corner if he can cover better than the next kid, but don't even try to tell me this kid can tackle, because he can't.

I think it is a forgone conclusion our punting will not be elite as in the past but I think we will be solid there and our kicking has to be better. It can't be much worse than last year.
    Dude, you went full JohnnyByesonBoy on Grimsley. Never go full JohnnyByesonBoy.

Grimsely for a true freshman got pretty darn good by season's end, just like the rest of the team, especially those on defense.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I am excited to see the d backfield. Lot of natural talent mixed with some guys that seem to have learned the defense.

Special teams is an area of concern. Have no idea how kickers/punters can be coached up.

Pretty sure I remember bohl chewing kellers hiney after a missed kick in SHSU champ 2 and the next game against k state patting him on the shoulder after a miss.

Keep 'em guessing!

Good to know that James Fisher is coming back as our LS.

I'm more concerned about the secondary. I keep watching last years games over and over and over again. Grimsley absolutely sucks. I have seldom beheld a more over-hyped player at any level.

We may have that in Darrin Kelley, Dom Davis, Jaylaan Wimbush,Jaxon Brown,Bachmeier, and several other guys may compete as well, but, for those counting on Grimsley to be a pillar in this defense.......Go watch the film!!

If Robbie legitimately wins the position this fall then more power to him; however, if he is the same guy as last year and is a shoe-in at SS, then I'm calling foul. I saw the kid on film just outright take a dive to avoid contact on more than one occasion. We need an intimidator at SS, not a wussy who is himself intimidated. O.K. so he is 184 pounds.....fine, move him to nickel corner if he can cover better than the next kid, but don't even try to tell me this kid can tackle, because he can't.

I think it is a forgone conclusion our punting will not be elite as in the past but I think we will be solid there and our kicking has to be better. It can't be much worse than last year.
    Post this or youre a liar.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 13>1 View Post
    I think you could keep that kind of an opinion to yourself. I don't mind seeing some constructive criticism about the play of a college kid, but to just flat out say he sucks and is over-hyped bothers me. Send Coach Klieman an email if you are this concerned about a wuss playing strong safety for the Bison. The kid flat out improved as the season went on, and I'm going to trust the coaches on this. He was a true freshman, playing in a difficult to understand defense, in the most physical FCS conference. There's going to be a learning curve. Be patient and give him a break, geez.

As long as the punter isn't being asked to kick FG's like last year, I'm not too worried about it.
    Kid made some great hits and stops last year.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Drugs are truly a problem. For your own health, please quit cold turkey.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Kid made some great hits and stops last year.
    He made a few nice shoe string tackles but show me just one rock solid hit. Just one...............

If he is anything, it is a CB who isn't expected to to do much in run defense; definitely NOT, a SS.

He made a few nice shoe string tackles but show me just one rock solid hit. Just one...............

If he is anything, it is a CB who isn't expected to to do much in run defense; definitely NOT, a SS.
    I like this play he made (this IS a special teams thread, after all). Watch the right side of the screen starting at 14:45.

Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    If you didn't see huge improvement on Grimsley through the year last year, then I don't know what you were watching. 4 year starter. Kid can play. Very intelligent player. GOing to be just fine. He was a true freshman and it showed at times, my goodness. He is bigger now too. He didn't get the traditional redshirt year that so many get to build up their bodies.
    Amen! Great post, totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    I like this play he made (this IS a special teams thread, after all). Watch the right side of the screen starting at 14:45.

YEAH SON!!! GETCHYA SOME!!

And with everything said, he improved drastically as the season went on. By the time the playoffs came around, he was in the right spot every time he needed to be. Sure, he didn't always make the tackle, but he slowed down the play enough to let the troops rally. Pretty sure he was the spy on Jenkins down in Frisco. That's a big responsibility for a true freshman. He made one mistake. He's only going to get better, bigger, faster, stronger.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.