Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Special Teams Discussion

Default 2016 Special Teams Discussion

Haven't heard much about our new SMU transfer punter Jackson Koonce. In March, Kolpack wrote that he wouldn't be on campus until fall camp. Late last month, Izzo & Kolpack's blog featured their 16 newcomers to watch. Koonce was number one on their list.

Both were vague when taking about this guy seeming to not know much about him.

He punted in all 12 of SMU's games as a freshman but only punted in 4 games last season as a sophomore for the Mustangs.

He averaged 39.6 ypp and had 2 blocked in 27 tries in 2105.

Jackson first appeared in game 5 for them; then again in games 6 & 7. DID NOT punt in their 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th games; then shared the punting duties with Josh Williams in SMU's last game in which they got lambasted 63-0 by Memphis.

In the NDSU spring game, Ian Gallagher did not play well at all.

BOTTOM LINE: I'm very concerned about our punting situation.

Default Re: 2016 Special Teams Discussion

They could just stop punting.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Haven't heard much about our new SMU transfer punter Jackson Koonce. In March, Kolpack wrote that he wouldn't be on campus until fall camp. Late last month, Izzo & Kolpack's blog featured their 16 newcomers to watch. Koonce was number one on their list.

Both were vague when taking about this guy seeming to not know much about him.

He punted in all 12 of SMU's games as a freshman but only punted in 4 games last season as a sophomore for the Mustangs.

He averaged 39.6 ypp and had 2 blocked in 27 tries in 2105.

Jackson first appeared in game 5 for them; then again in games 6 & 7. DID NOT punt in their 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th games; then shared the punting duties with Josh Williams in SMU's last game in which they got lambasted 63-0 by Memphis.

In the NDSU spring game, Ian Gallagher did not play well at all.

BOTTOM LINE: I'm very concerned about our punting situation.
    We got him from 2105? Dude...you should really mention the time travel option in your new company's services...

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

I'm more concerned about the secondary. I keep watching last years games over and over and over again. Grimsley absolutely sucks. I have seldom beheld a more over-hyped player at any level.

Bison need three guys to step up and become solid players right away.

We may have that in Darrin Kelley, Dom Davis, Jaylaan Wimbush,Jaxon Brown,Bachmeier, and several other guys may compete as well, but, for those counting on Grimsley to be a pillar in this defense.......Go watch the film!!

If Robbie legitimately wins the position this fall then more power to him; however, if he is the same guy as last year and is a shoe-in at SS, then I'm calling foul. I saw the kid on film just outright take a dive to avoid contact on more than one occasion. We need an intimidator at SS, not a wussy who is himself intimidated. O.K. so he is 184 pounds.....fine, move him to nickel corner if he can cover better than the next kid, but don't even try to tell me this kid can tackle, because he can't.

I think it is a forgone conclusion our punting will not be elite as in the past but I think we will be solid there and our kicking has to be better. It can't be much worse than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsen View Post
    I'm more concerned about the secondary. I keep watching last years games over and over and over again. Grimsley absolutely sucks. I have seldom beheld a more over-hyped player at any level.

We may have that in Darrin Kelley, Dom Davis, Jaylaan Wimbush,Jaxon Brown,Bachmeier, and several other guys may compete as well, but, for those counting on Grimsley to be a pillar in this defense.......Go watch the film!!

If Robbie legitimately wins the position this fall then more power to him; however, if he is the same guy as last year and is a shoe-in at SS, then I'm calling foul. I saw the kid on film just outright take a dive to avoid contact on more than one occasion. We need an intimidator at SS, not a wussy who is himself intimidated. O.K. so he is 184 pounds.....fine, move him to nickel corner if he can cover better than the next kid, but don't even try to tell me this kid can tackle, because he can't.

I think it is a forgone conclusion our punting will not be elite as in the past but I think we will be solid there and our kicking has to be better. It can't be much worse than last year.
    Grimsley is probably going to be fine. He was much better by the end of last season than he was early.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

If you didn't see huge improvement on Grimsley through the year last year, then I don't know what you were watching. 4 year starter. Kid can play. Very intelligent player. GOing to be just fine. He was a true freshman and it showed at times, my goodness. He is bigger now too. He didn't get the traditional redshirt year that so many get to build up their bodies.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    We got him from 2105? Dude...you should really mention the time travel option in your new company's services...

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think you could keep that kind of an opinion to yourself. I don't mind seeing some constructive criticism about the play of a college kid, but to just flat out say he sucks and is over-hyped bothers me. Send Coach Klieman an email if you are this concerned about a wuss playing strong safety for the Bison. The kid flat out improved as the season went on, and I'm going to trust the coaches on this. He was a true freshman, playing in a difficult to understand defense, in the most physical FCS conference. There's going to be a learning curve. Be patient and give him a break, geez.

As long as the punter isn't being asked to kick FG's like last year, I'm not too worried about it.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by 13>1 View Post
    As long as the punter isn't being asked to kick FG's like last year, I'm not too worried about it.
    Koonce did kick a 52 yard field goal in high school. That little nugget likely strengthened the interest of our coaching staff.

So, I would imagine that the if Herd was in a pinch..........................

wow

NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant