Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Verbal: Zach Willis

Default Re: 2017 Verbal: Zach Willis

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    So it doesn't count towards wrestling? I thought that was a head count sport? I should probably read the thread
    There's a sort of pecking order with scholarship allocations. Football is at the top of the list. Otherwise schools would get around the football limits by giving kids track and baseball scholarships and having them "walk on" to the football team.

Basketball has the same potential so it's 2nd on the list behind football.

Hammersmith has explained it well several times over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    There's a sort of pecking order with scholarship allocations. Football is at the top of the list. Otherwise schools would get around the football limits by giving kids track and baseball scholarships and having them "walk on" to the football team.

Basketball has the same potential so it's 2nd on the list behind football.

Hammersmith has explained it well several times over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So let's say he's gets a 1/4 scholarship for football and getting a full for wrestling. Does it count against both teams?

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    So let's say he's gets a 1/4 scholarship for football and getting a full for wrestling. Does it count against both teams?
    Whatever he gets, 100% of it counts towards football. It's as simple as it can be.

Go to page 210. There's a nice, easy flowchart.
    http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D116.pdf

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Thanks to Miami football giving Santana Moss and a couple other guys track scholarships back in the late 90's early 2000's to expedite the rebuilding process at the U.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Whatever he gets, 100% of it counts towards football. It's as simple as it can be.

Go to page 210. There's a nice, easy flowchart.
    http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D116.pdf
    i believe the rule is if he plays football (actually sees the field) then his ship has to be football- as long as he redshirts/doesnt play he will not have to count his 1st year. My guess it is a way to have him get in and if he makes the 2 deep he will play and get a FB ship if not he will practice and Wrestle and get a wrestling scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by Winning is Gr8 View Post
    i believe the rule is if he plays football (actually sees the field) then his ship has to be football- as long as he redshirts/doesnt play he will not have to count his 1st year. My guess it is a way to have him get in and if he makes the 2 deep he will play and get a FB ship if not he will practice and Wrestle and get a wrestling scholarship.
    Regardless of which sport pays his education the first year, Mr. Willis will receive five years of free education.......damn, the burdens we all must bear..........

Welcome Zach!!

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Regardless of which sport pays his education the first year, Mr. Willis will receive five years of free education.......damn, the burdens we all must bear..........
    With the amount of work and sacrifice student-athletes put out for their education, I wouldn't claim it as "free."
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    With the amount of work and sacrifice student-athletes put out for their education, I wouldn't claim it as "free."
    Very true !!! I stand corrected.

Also, we were actually talking about Metz, not Willis. Willis is on a FB scholarship, Metz is a FB walk-on and wrestling scholarship.

Winning is Gr8 could be correct about Metz's scholarship being counted against wrestling as long as he never plays in a game. The rules are a bit vague on that. It's one of those "it doesn't say it's forbidden, so it must be allowed" sort of situations.

Here's what it says:
    In football, a counter who was not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) must be counted in football (see Bylaw 15.5.9.1).
    It does use the word 'compete' rather than 'participate'. So you might be able to say that someone who gets aid for competing in another sport can practice with the FB team without counting against FB as long as it's limited to practice.

[/threaddrift]