Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Verbal: Brandon Metz

Default Re: 2017 Verbal: Brandon Metz

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
    Interesting. Do academic scholarships work the same way?
    No. If you can show that a student-athlete is getting the same scholarship that an ordinary student gets, it doesn't count against the cap.

For example, NDSU gives out certain scholarships almost automatically if you hit certain ACT benchmarks(Presidential Scholarships?). If a FB player received the required score, he should get the same scholarship without it counting against the 63 limit.

What gets schools into trouble is creating a general scholarship and then giving 95% of those scholarships to student-athletes. That sends up red flags to the NCAA. I remember a school several years back(can't remember which one) creating a diversity scholarship. The criteria for the scholarship said it was open to all students, but strangely enough it seemed to only get awarded to athletes. I think that school ended up losing scholarships as part of the NCAA sanctions that came later.

But Northern is completely correct about the FB/WR scholarship counting against FB in this case. There is a flowchart in the NCAA manual that explains it. Football is at the top, then the basketballs, then volleyball for women. There might be one other sport as well(I'm working from memory). If you get athletic money and are on the FB team, the money counts against FB. If you get money and are on the MBB team and any sport other than FB, the money counts against MBB. I don't know how they plan to deal with it in this case.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Brandon came into Memory over the weekend with his dad and I had a chance to chat with him for a minute. That is one big kid!!
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by 13>1 View Post
    Brandon came into Memory over the weekend with his dad and I had a chance to chat with him for a minute. That is one big kid!!
    Aren't you a big dude yourself? If so, the kid is going to be huge and have to choose between football as an O-Lineman or wrestling as a heavyweight. With the weight limit being 285 LBS, that's going to be tough dropping and gaining 20 LBS between sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Aren't you a big dude yourself? If so, the kid is going to be huge and have to choose between football as an O-Lineman or wrestling as a heavyweight. With the weight limit being 285 LBS, that's going to be tough dropping and gaining 20 LBS between sports.

I'm 6' and 240. But Metz fills a doorway, he's all shoulders. I could see him getting snaps at a D tackle spot, in that 285 range. If anyone knows how to cut a few LB's, it's a wrestler (which you obviously know). He got down to 220 last year for Fargo (I think?), man did he look lean....best shape I've ever seen him in. He's training with Dudz and Jirik at Dynasty as well, those boys will get him ready for whatever shape NDSU wants him in

I'm 6' and 240. But Metz fills a doorway, he's all shoulders. I could see him getting snaps at a D tackle spot, in that 285 range. If anyone knows how to cut a few LB's, it's a wrestler (which you obviously know). He got down to 220 last year for Fargo (I think?), man did he look lean....best shape I've ever seen him in. He's training with Dudz and Jirik at Dynasty as well, those boys will get him ready for whatever shape NDSU wants him in
    If he's defense, he'll be fine. For some reason, I thought he was an O-Lineman.

On a side note, I wish I had his size when I wrestled heavyweight. All the weight room strength advantage I had went straight out the window when wrestling those big boys.

Hail the BISON!!!

If he's defense, he'll be fine. For some reason, I thought he was an O-Lineman.

On a side note, I wish I had his size when I wrestled heavyweight. All the weight room strength advantage I had went straight out the window when wrestling those big boys.

Jay, the OP, mentions DT with his verbal. Just going off that I guess. He's got a unique frame as he's got a really big upper body, but the legs while strong, aren't real big. Kramer will have him in the squat rack on the regular I'm sure.

The thing I love about the kid when he wrestles is that he'll go up against some kids that are heavier and bigger than him and he just keeps scrapping and fighting, and usually finds a way to win. Or, he does a huge move in the first 10 seconds and gets the opponent on his back for a stick.

So far, Brandon is crushing the competition in Greco-Roman. Pinned his first three opponents under a minute and just teched his quarterfinal opponent. Will be facing a tough Pennsylvania opponent in the semis in about an hour.
    Hail the BISON!!!

So far, Brandon is crushing the competition in Greco-Roman. Pinned his first three opponents under a minute and just teched his quarterfinal opponent. Will be facing a tough Pennsylvania opponent in the semis in about an hour.
    When are the finals?

Welcome to the Herd Brandon!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    No. If you can show that a student-athlete is getting the same scholarship that an ordinary student gets, it doesn't count against the cap.

For example, NDSU gives out certain scholarships almost automatically if you hit certain ACT benchmarks(Presidential Scholarships?). If a FB player received the required score, he should get the same scholarship without it counting against the 63 limit.

What gets schools into trouble is creating a general scholarship and then giving 95% of those scholarships to student-athletes. That sends up red flags to the NCAA. I remember a school several years back(can't remember which one) creating a diversity scholarship. The criteria for the scholarship said it was open to all students, but strangely enough it seemed to only get awarded to athletes. I think that school ended up losing scholarships as part of the NCAA sanctions that came later.

But Northern is completely correct about the FB/WR scholarship counting against FB in this case. There is a flowchart in the NCAA manual that explains it. Football is at the top, then the basketballs, then volleyball for women. There might be one other sport as well(I'm working from memory). If you get athletic money and are on the FB team, the money counts against FB. If you get money and are on the MBB team and any sport other than FB, the money counts against MBB. I don't know how they plan to deal with it in this case.
    The splitting of the 63 has to be all done on a percentage basis vs. dollar amount, right?
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

When are the finals?
    Junior Greco-Roman is 2:15, then followed by the ladies.
    Hail the BISON!!!