Welcome to the Herd Brandon!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
No. If you can show that a student-athlete is getting the same scholarship that an ordinary student gets, it doesn't count against the cap.

For example, NDSU gives out certain scholarships almost automatically if you hit certain ACT benchmarks(Presidential Scholarships?). If a FB player received the required score, he should get the same scholarship without it counting against the 63 limit.

What gets schools into trouble is creating a general scholarship and then giving 95% of those scholarships to student-athletes. That sends up red flags to the NCAA. I remember a school several years back(can't remember which one) creating a diversity scholarship. The criteria for the scholarship said it was open to all students, but strangely enough it seemed to only get awarded to athletes. I think that school ended up losing scholarships as part of the NCAA sanctions that came later.

But Northern is completely correct about the FB/WR scholarship counting against FB in this case. There is a flowchart in the NCAA manual that explains it. Football is at the top, then the basketballs, then volleyball for women. There might be one other sport as well(I'm working from memory). If you get athletic money and are on the FB team, the money counts against FB. If you get money and are on the MBB team and any sport other than FB, the money counts against MBB. I don't know how they plan to deal with it in this case.
The splitting of the 63 has to be all done on a percentage basis vs. dollar amount, right?