Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Olympic Trials - NDSU & ND athletes

Default Re: 2016 Olympic Trials - NDSU & ND athletes

From the Fargo Forum July 1:

"Roesler, who runs for Nike and trains out of San Antonio, Texas, said she is undecided if she will compete again this year. She joked that she's just "a punk" at age 24 and definitely plans to continue her running career."

Hmm ... perhaps. I suppose we should take her at her word. But, I am skeptical. Perhaps I am wrong, but I think Roesler may be mentally ready to retire from running and to move on to the next thing in life, whatever that is for her. It is curious that someone would not be looking forward to getting on the biggest stage and performing at the highest level, which is how I read her run in the OTs.

Anyone know where to watch a free live stream of the Trials for track and field?

Live stream has been free up to this point, with the remainder on television.
    Looks like that policy changed. Wanted to watch Maddie, Riley and the two 800m heats today.

OK (at 6:30), the FREE live stream began working. So never-mind ... although I think I missed the W Steeplechase.
    Yep, just checked ... missed Maddie.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 07-04-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Update:
    o Maddie had 16th best time (8:49) in the w Steeplechase. Top 14 advance. 14th best time was 8:46. Nice job Maddie.

o Riley Dolezal looking good so far. He is in fourth place (251 ft, 76.5m) after two throws. Third place has a throw 6" greater.
    • Riley just tossed the javelin 79.67m, moving him up to 2nd place. Third place is 5 feet behind, and fourth is 6 feet back. After 4 throws.
    • In 5th round of throws, Hostetler tossed the javelin about 18 ft better than any other throw. with it he moves into 1st place and he meets the Olympic Qualifying standard. Riley now in 3rd.
    • Riley will end up in 3rd place with his 79.67 meter toss (about 261 feet). He has made the Olympic team by taking 3rd place, but he has not met the Olympic qualifying standard.
    • Olympic qualifying standard is 83.0m
    • Not sure what the rules are ... if there is an automatic and provisional standard for the Olympics.

o Women's 800m - winning time was 1:59.10. Top 4 were under 2:00. Time-wise, seems it would have been do-able for Roesler who has run low 1:59. Still wish she would have had a better OTs

o Amanda Smock - after all three qualifying rounds, she is in 11th place. Has triple-jumped a little over 44 feet so far.
    • Top 12 advance to the final, so she will jump in the FINAL round.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 07-05-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Men's Javelin and a Riley Dolezal update.

The Olympic qualifying standard is 83m.
    Riley's best throw since May 2015 is 81 and change so based on this he cannot go to the Olympics. He finished top 3 at the O.Trials so he has priority if can make 83m, but the deadline to throw 83 (in a sanctioned meet) is July 11 (I believe I read somewhere).
    Meanwhile three throwers have thrown over 83m in the past year, though only one did it at the Trials.

Per this article: http://www.usatf.org/News/No-shortag...e-competi.aspx
    the three throwers who have thrown over 83m in the past year are Hostetler (who won the Trials), Crouser (who finished 4th at the Trials) and Furey (who finished 11th). Therefore, regardless of their finish at the Trials, they are going to the Olympics because they met the Olympic qualifying standard, whereas the 2nd and 3rd place finishers at the Trials did not.

I think I read that US Track and Field athletes have until July 11 to make the Olympic qualifying standard. If this is true and Riley can get into another meet that is sanctioned and can throw over 83m, I believe he will get his Olympic birth on the strength of his top 3 finish at the Trials.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

How many meets can he find in a week? and then he needs to throw farther too. Seems like a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    How many meets can he find in a week? and then he needs to throw farther too. Seems like a long shot.
    Agreed. However, others have done it. There will be a meet somewhere this weekend.
    Does Riley want to take it that far is also an issue. Maybe he is resigned to where he is at now.
    If I was Riley and I was hitting 83m in practice now and then, I might consider finding a meet.
    He would need the funds to travel, etc.

Remarkable Riley Dolezal fact:

His best throw in the Javelin while at NDSU was 228' 10" in 2009. (3rd best all time while at NDSU)
    4 years later he won the American title launching it 273' 11" (83.5 meters).

A whopping 45' 1" improvement.

In the category of outstanding North Dakota athletes, that all time best mark will be tough to beat.

Haven't looked it up...........but Riley most certainly should be in the ND Athletics Hall of Fame.

If anyone wants to help Riley with funding, here is the website.

https://www.gofundme.com/uc5u96t4

Whether to help him defray his expenses, or simply say thanks for a good show, here is a way to donate.
    I suspect this has not been well known. Maybe posting it here will help.

NDSU T&F athletes competing for Canada ... here are some LINKs for the Canadian Championships.
    The Canadian Championships in 2016 are also the Rio Olympics Qualifying rounds. I assume the rules are similar to U.S. rules - top three go provided they have met the Olympic qualifying standards. If top three have not met the qualifying standards, but others have (who did not finish in the top 3), the qualifiers go with priority to whoever placed highest.

Results
    http://results.deltatiming.com/edmon...als#2016-07-07

Free Live Feed
    (One can check on prior feed to see when events start)
    http://www.athleticscanada.tv/gprofi...ideo_id=181131

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    If anyone wants to help Riley with funding, here is the website.

https://www.gofundme.com/uc5u96t4

Whether to help him defray his expenses, or simply say thanks for a good show, here is a way to donate.
    I suspect this has not been well known. Maybe posting it here will help.
    Done!!!!!!!!
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."