Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Olympic Trials - NDSU & ND athletes

Default Re: 2016 Olympic Trials - NDSU & ND athletes

Found this on SBNation.com

(Start)
    Olympic trials track and field coverage for Friday (all times ET)
    Full event list: men's shot put (qualifying, finals), 400-meter, 800-meter (1st round), 10,000-meter (finals) and women's high jump, discus throw, long jump (qualifying), 400-meter, 800-meter (1st round)
    Time: 7-9 p.m. (men's shot put final), 9-10 p.m. (NBC men's 10,000-meter final)
    TV: NBC (men's 10,000-meter final only)
    Streaming: NBC Sports (men's shot put final, men's 10,000-meter final)
    (End)

This is a confusing post, it seems to suggest that only the shot put and the 10,000 meters will be on. If this is correct, then we will not able to watch L. Roesler run tonight. If anyone has better information please pass it on. (I swear, despite becoming a more educated nation, it sure seems Internet news writers are showing smaller and smaller amounts of common sense, an inability to write clearly - pardon my vent).

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Found this on SBNation.com

(Start)
    Olympic trials track and field coverage for Friday (all times ET)
    Full event list: men's shot put (qualifying, finals), 400-meter, 800-meter (1st round), 10,000-meter (finals) and women's high jump, discus throw, long jump (qualifying), 400-meter, 800-meter (1st round)
    Time: 7-9 p.m. (men's shot put final), 9-10 p.m. (NBC men's 10,000-meter final)
    TV: NBC (men's 10,000-meter final only)
    Streaming: NBC Sports (men's shot put final, men's 10,000-meter final)
    (End)

This is a confusing post, it seems to suggest that only the shot put and the 10,000 meters will be on. If this is correct, then we will not able to watch L. Roesler run tonight. If anyone has better information please pass it on. (I swear, despite becoming a more educated nation, it sure seems Internet news writers are showing smaller and smaller amounts of common sense, an inability to write clearly - pardon my vent).
    There is zero chance that all they're going to cover in 3 hours is the shot put and the 10,000 meters.

I forget where it was, but the thing I saw yesterday listed the broadcasts and the events they were committing to cover for sure (the 10,000 and shot put were on Friday's list) but also said other unspecified events would be covered as well.

I think there's a descent chance the 800 prelims will get some coverage on the live stream. They're during the broadcast window, there's only one track event going on at a time, and the field events feature a whole lot of standing around and waiting. I'm not sure which is less entertaining the middle laps of a half hour foot race or a parade of large men taking turns strolling in and out of a circle.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    There is zero chance that all they're going to cover in 3 hours is the shot put and the 10,000 meters.

I forget where it was, but the thing I saw yesterday listed the broadcasts and the events they were committing to cover for sure (the 10,000 and shot put were on Friday's list) but also said other unspecified events would be covered as well.

I think there's a descent chance the 800 prelims will get some coverage on the live stream. They're during the broadcast window, there's only one track event going on at a time, and the field events feature a whole lot of standing around and waiting. I'm not sure which is less entertaining the middle laps of a half hour foot race or a parade of large men taking turns strolling in and out of a circle.
    Good points and I was wondering about that. However the swimming Trials are also underway - almost certainly other Summer Olympic sports also - so I suspect they will take up part of the time.

While I have general interest in Olympic events, I would really like to see Laura run tonight in the 800m. So I hope this two minute event will make it into the broadcast. I am pretty sure she will advance to the next round, and I am almost as sure she will make the final for Monday, but would like to see it. The W 800m will be a dogfight this O.Trials - I don't have historical knowledge of how good women's fields have been in the past, but I would bet this is the toughest W 800m field ever in terms of depth and best-times bunched together at the top of the 'list'

Here are the Central Standard Time (CST) schedules for the athletes (and their events) who are competing in the US Olympic Trials. (Other than that, this is the same as the above post).

Laura Roesler - Women's 800m
    Three rounds total.
    1st round is on Friday, July 1 (6:45pm) - top 16 advance
    2nd round is on Saturday, July 2 (1:45pm)
    3rd (final) round is on Monday, July 4 (7:40pm)

Leslie Brost - Women's Pole Vault
    Two rounds total.
    1st round is on Friday, July 8 (5pm)
    2nd (final) round is on Sunday, July 10 (4:30pm)

Amanda Smock - Women's Triple Jump
    Two rounds total
    1st round is on Monday, July 4 (6:15pm)
    2nd (final) round is on Thursday, July 7 (8:30pm)

Maddie Van Beek - Women's 3000m Steeplechase
    Two rounds total
    1st round is on Monday, July 4 (6:00pm)
    2nd (final) round is on Thursday, July 7 (9:45pm)

Jess Lehman - Women's Pentathlon
    Saturday and Sunday July 9 and 10.

Riley Dolezal - Men's Javelin
    Two rounds total.
    1st round is on Saturday, July 2 (2:45pm)
    2nd (final) round is on Monday, July 4 (6:30pm)

Sierra Rosenau - Women's Javelin
    Two rounds total.
    1st round is on Thursday July 7 (5:30pm)
    2nd (final) round is on Saturday, July 9 (6:00pm)

tcbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Article here about Leslie Brost in the Minneapolis Star Tribune. In the print edition it is on the front page with a big picture of her and another picture on the continued story:

http://www.startribune.com/pole-vaul...als/385128721/

17 Times Football National Champions
    BISON PRIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Good points and I was wondering about that. However the swimming Trials are also underway - almost certainly other Summer Olympic sports also - so I suspect they will take up part of the time.

While I have general interest in Olympic events, I would really like to see Laura run tonight in the 800m. So I hope this two minute event will make it into the broadcast. I am pretty sure she will advance to the next round, and I am almost as sure she will make the final for Monday, but would like to see it. The W 800m will be a dogfight this O.Trials - I don't have historical knowledge of how good women's fields have been in the past, but I would bet this is the toughest W 800m field ever in terms of depth and best-times bunched together at the top of the 'list'
    Looks like the swim trials are on NBCSN 5-7pm central and then on the network from 7 - 8:20pm so you're right, on the TV side that would probably take the coverage right up to the start of the 10,000. The live stream looks like the best bet for 800 prelim coverage.

That pool in Omaha is pretty sweet. They build it in three weeks in the same arena where Creighton plays hoops:

After the trials they're pulling it out of there and rebuilding it in West Fargo's new aquatic center.
    Last edited by bisonaudit; 05-06-2017 at 06:01 PM.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Roesler had a bad race. 2:03.55. 4th in her heat.
    Winner was about 2:03.17

She will not advance.

Passed the first 400m at 61 something (slow first lap), then on the backstretch did not ratchet it up. So was in a pack of several runners on the back stretch and coming around the last corner. Roesler came out of the corner looking pretty good, looked like she was leading (in a really tight race), but three passed her down the stretch. Top 2 advance, plus next 6 best times. First two heats went 2:00.xx so the top 6 will mainly come from those heats. There are 5 heats total. One more heat to go, but Roesler is out.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Roesler didn't look good last month in the Pre classic either. She had a great indoor season placing in the World championships. A lot of T&F athletes skip the indoor season in an Olympic year so they don't wear down. There was no finishing kick for Laura today. Too long a season?

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    Roesler didn't look good last month in the Pre classic either. She had a great indoor season placing in the World championships. A lot of T&F athletes skip the indoor season in an Olympic year so they don't wear down. There was no finishing kick for Laura today. Too long a season?
    She ran two meets in Europe in late May, early June ... in one she did not finish, in the other, she came in something like 7th. So yeah, could be wearing down.

Could be other physical reasons. She had an injury in 2015 that kept her out of competition for quite a while - did she get re-injured (even a slight injury) that has not been broadcast in the news? I have not read anything. Could be in the head. Maybe is tired of trying to meet other's expectations - wants to, has wanted for some time, to return to a normal life. Maybe she did not want it bad enough. Maybe there were confidence issues. There are a lot of variables when one participates in an individual sport - it is a lot tougher mentally than for people involved in a team sport where the pressures are shared and everyone either wins together or loses together.

Another possibility - maybe she just had a bad day. Bad food, bad stomach, legs hurt, can be a lot of things.

I suspect this is it for Laura and the Olympics. I don't see her training for 4 more years to try again. She had her best shot ever this year (2016). Regardless, I hoped she would have a breakout race ... have always thought she had a 1:56 or so in her. Her finishing kick in the NCAA championships showed (I think) that she had a lot left in the tank and she ran around 2:00. Seems like something has held her back, despite her success.

That is my 5 cents.

Riley Dolezal - made it into the Finals of the Javelin.

So far he has the best throw at 76.69 meters (251 feet). Five other people threw over 240 feet, so it is tight, second best threw 250 feet then passed on his last two throws.
    Both Riley's good throws were 251 feet and a few inches - his third attempt was a Foul.

Finals of the men's javelin are on Monday (7/4) as is the W 3000m Steeplechase with Maddie and the W Triple Jump with Amanda.