Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NDSU and SDSU getting some run on a few Valley boards for MVC expansion.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default NDSU and SDSU getting some run on a few Valley boards for MVC expansion.

For your viewing pleasure. Not sure it means anything except that we are changing the narrative about STATE schools slowly but surely with other fan bases. Personally, nothing would make me happier then to see SDSU, USD, and NDSU replace WSU in the Valley and have the MVC expand to 12.

http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...utcome/page177

Default Re: NDSU and SDSU getting some run on a few Valley boards for MVC expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    For your viewing pleasure. Not sure it means anything except that we are changing the narrative about STATE schools slowly but surely with other fan bases. Personally, nothing would make me happier then to see SDSU, USD, and NDSU replace WSU in the Valley and have the MVC expand to 12.

http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...utcome/page177
    Here's the deal. Wichita is in a big city with lots of private funding and a national presence. Everybody knows who and what WSU is. Northern Iowa, on the other hand, is in a cornfield in the middle of nowhere, they NEED the cache of the private schools to make themselves seem important. They also need the private schools to beat up on so they can get more paint on their walls (assuming they do that for basketball too).

WSU has a good enough self-identity that they can worry more about the competition and not about how they look. UNI does everything they can to maintain a perceived air of superiority wherever they can.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Default Re: NDSU and SDSU getting some run on a few Valley boards for MVC expansion.

If NDSU makes the Sweet 16 like UNI did... well, that would be awesome.

HerdBoy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    If NDSU makes the Sweet 16 like UNI did... well, that would be awesome.
    When AJ and Paul are Seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBoy View Post
    When AJ and Paul are Seniors.
    Can't wait a year, lets do it this year.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It's amazing what a few years will do. Fans of the MVC which a few years back laughed at us are now taking notice. Having Sioux Falls host the Summit Tournament and having all those blue and yellow fans on TV looks really, really good. NDSU beating Oklahoma in the NCAA game was really, really good. 5 football championships are really, really good. Plus SDSU Women's BB, NDSU track&field and softball.

Plus Creighton left...so MVC doesn't look as good as it once did. At this point it could be a win-win for the MVC and SDSU/NDSU. And then UND could take our place in the Summit and be a travel partner with USD.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

The perception of NDSU and SDSU is changing. I will say this. I'm sure glad we got the SHAC finished because they wouldn't even give us the time of day with the BSA. Now we must sell it out and make an awesome atmosphere. Glad Frost Arena is getting a sweet makeover too.

Now we just need to keep raising our budget and investing in basketball to get their attention.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    The perception of NDSU and SDSU is changing. I will say this. I'm sure glad we got the SHAC finished because they wouldn't even give us the time of day with the BSA. Now we must sell it out and make an awesome atmosphere. Glad Frost Arena is getting a sweet makeover too.

Now we just need to keep raising our budget and investing in basketball to get their attention.
    I agree but I'm not so sure they would be sold on the SHAC either, they have no idea...the fan bases they saw were in a 12,000 seat arena at a conference championship that decided the entry into the dance between two teams that are within driving distance with one of those teams literally in the backyard...this is what they probably think every game of ours looks like since this is what they are used to...

But I agree the basketball culture is changing and we need to keep up with the investing...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    I agree but I'm not so sure they would be sold on the SHAC either, they have no idea...the fan bases they saw were in a 12,000 seat arena at a conference championship that decided the entry into the dance between two teams that are within driving distance with one of those teams literally in the backyard...this is what they probably think every game of ours looks like since this is what they are used to...

But I agree the basketball culture is changing and we need to keep up with the investing...
    I think the SHAC would be slightly below average by MVC standards but it's absolutely adequate. I think places like the Illinois State and Southern Illinois have huge arenas with so much character. Just cool looking places but they really don't draw THAT MUCH BETTER if you remove Witchita.

The Knapp Center for Drake is OK but not amazing. The McLeod Center (although an insane atmosphere) for UNI only holds 6600 and is actually a pretty basic looking place place.

If anything the SHAC will probably have as nice of amenities if not nicer than other teams with the new Basketball practice facility, locker rooms, weight room, nutrition bar, etc.

In terms of attendance, if you take Wichita out of the equation, we're in the same ballpark already. With the new arena we would certainly see a massive jump on just that alone. Heck both NDSU and SDSU have the potential to be at the top of the attendance list. The last few years are attendance numbers are misleading because we played in an off campus hockey arena and before that we played in the crappy BSA. Our 3-4K average would certainly go way up and we'd probably average our capacity which is almost 6K. The thing is when you play in the Summit and in a weak run down BSA, you really don't get many great games. The MVC is just loaded with great games week after week and we already play most of them in the MVFC so the rivalry's are pretty natural.

Wichita St. 15 162,088 10,805
    Bradley 15 89,299 5,953
    UNI 14 75,304 5,378
    Southern Ill. 16 84,445 5,277
    Evansville 16 82,364 5,147
    Illinois St. 16 83,194 5,199
    Missouri St. 15 62,106 4,140
    Indiana St. 14 51,421 3,672
    Drake 14 43,222 3,087
    Loyola Chicago 16 29,308 1,831
    Last edited by HerdBot; 06-27-2016 at 01:30 AM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I think the SHAC would be slightly below average by MVC standards but it's absolutely adequate. I think places like the Illinois State and Southern Illinois have huge arenas with so much character. Just cool looking places but they really don't draw THAT MUCH BETTER if you remove Witchita.

The Knapp Center for Drake is OK but not amazing. The McLeod Center (although an insane atmosphere) for UNI only holds 6600 and is actually a pretty basic looking place place.

If anything the SHAC will probably have as nice of amenities if not nicer than other teams with the new Basketball practice facility, locker rooms, weight room, nutrition bar, etc.

In terms of attendance, if you take Wichita out of the equation, we're in the same ballpark already. With the new arena we would certainly see a massive jump on just that alone. Heck both NDSU and SDSU have the potential to be at the top of the attendance list. The last few years are attendance numbers are misleading because we played in an off campus hockey arena and before that we played in the crappy BSA. Our 3-4K average would certainly go way up and we'd probably average our capacity which is almost 6K. The thing is when you play in the Summit and in a weak run down BSA, you really don't get many great games. The MVC is just loaded with great games week after week and we already play most of them in the MVFC so the rivalry's are pretty natural.

Wichita St. 15 162,088 10,805
    Bradley 15 89,299 5,953
    UNI 14 75,304 5,378
    Southern Ill. 16 84,445 5,277
    Evansville 16 82,364 5,147
    Illinois St. 16 83,194 5,199
    Missouri St. 15 62,106 4,140
    Indiana St. 14 51,421 3,672
    Drake 14 43,222 3,087
    Loyola Marymount 14 31,105 2,221
    Loyola Marymount is located in California and is in the West Coast Conference with Gonzaga, BYU etc. The Loyola in the Missouri Valley Conference is located in Chicago. There is also a division I Loyola in Maryland, it is in the Patriot League.