Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Freestyle World Cup

Default Re: 2016 Freestyle World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Dieringer won 10-1 against Georgia, but he lost 10-0 against Iran.
    Yes, Dieringer lost by tech to Yazdani, who is a rising star from Iran. Last year at the Worlds, he beat Green in the semis before losing in the Championship match. However, I don't see him beating Burroughs, who was with his wife this weekend welcoming their second child.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I thought the US wrestled great this weekend. Throw Jordan and Tervel in there, and they likely win it all.

James Green is incredible at 70 kg and it's a shame he isn't at a natural weight for an Olympic weight. Frank Molinaro is getting better and better and his international results are really stepping up in quality. I still think he doesn't finish in the top 3 if they re-wrestled the trials, but hey, he doesn't have to worry about the other Americans for a while. Cox is a definite medal threat, especially if he gets in a good spot in the bracket. His size and athleticism are special. Dan Dennis didn't have the greatest results this weekend, but he actually wrestled well and if he can get a couple takedowns in the Olympics, watch out.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Cox is a definite medal threat, especially if he gets in a good spot in the bracket.
    These international events are all random draws, so just about anything could happen, right?

These international events are all random draws, so just about anything could happen, right?
    Jamie Espinal of Puerto Rico benefited from a decent draw on top of wrestling his best in 2012 to earn a Silver Medal. Also helped that he (along with Franklin Gomez) trained under Cael Sanderson as part of the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club.

The Olympics are a lot like the Olympic Trials in that there will be a lot of surprises and upsets. Nobody, including Burroughs, is a sure shot for Gold.
    Hail the BISON!!!

On a somewhat related topic, I was stuck at the Denver International Airport (again) for my flight back home 70 miles away in Colorado Springs (United is a master of screwing this up). During my extra time there, I saw five different people head to toe in Bison gear. I talked to one lady who was a teacher from Bismarck and, along with her husband, are season ticket holders.

Also, on an unrelated topic, pretty bummed we weren't able to send our UWW Junior team this past weekend to Venezuela to compete in the UWW Junior Pan-Ams due to the turmoil going on down there. Was looking forward to seeing Dan Stibral compete.
    Hail the BISON!!!

If I'm not mistaken, Dieringer won 10-1 against Georgia, but he lost 10-0 against Iran.
    Sorry, you are correct, I must have been thinking about the Georgia match.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Nobody, including Burroughs, is a sure shot for Gold.
    Man, you weren't kidding. There's lots of good competitors out there. I always remember Bekzod A from when he wrestled Monk a few years ago at the Midlands.

Man, you weren't kidding. There's lots of good competitors out there. I always remember Bekzod A from when he wrestled Monk a few years ago at the Midlands.
    I think there was something serious wrong with Burroughs today. I'm hoping it was something simple like a concussion from his first match and nothing like what Joe Heskett suffered from in 2005. Very glazed look in his eyes and slow reflexes compared to the way he normally looks and wrestles.
    Hail the BISON!!!

FYI, here is the link to the first loss;
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/jor...-quarterfinals

Both our Gold medalists, Maroulis and Snyder, are from Maryland. Crab cakes might actually be good for wrestling.
    Hail the BISON!!!