Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 games for FCS?

Default Re: 12 games for FCS?

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    A couple of conferences want a permanent 12 game season. I guess if you have no threat of competing for a natty and potentially playing 16 games it is a good idea. I am not so sure.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...43018794210004
    Reread and it says permanent 12 game schedule

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    The article is poorly worded and I am not sure what it means. Currently 12 games are restricted to years with 13 weekends in the season after labor day and one interpretation is to permanently allow a 12th game. While other articles are also not entirely clear they use the phrase "permissive proposal."
    http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20...ORTS/160609677
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    That means the ability to schedule 12 games every year. Right now the way the rules are set up FCS schools are only allowed to schedule 12 games like every 5th or 6th year or something like that when the calendar allows 12 weeks between labor day and Thanksgiving. This rule change would allow schools to schedule 12 games every year but it wouldn't be a mandate to do so, just like it's not manditory to schedule 11 games now. It's simply allowing schools the flexibility to schedule a 12th game every year.

Pending vote on this coming up. Read below from Fox sports site.

AP
    Apr 11, 2017 at 9:34a ET

(STATS) – The vote on increasing the FCS regular season from 11 permanent games to 12 is scheduled to occur when the NCAA Division I Council meets Thursday and Friday in Indianapolis.

An FCS-member committee of the council, which includes an athletics administrator from each of the 13 conferences, will decide the proposal, which is co-sponsored by the Southland and Ohio Valley conferences but would not affect the 2017 season. A majority of votes is needed to pass the legislation and an NCAA representative said the decision will be announced Friday.

The proposal calls for FCS programs to be given the opportunity to schedule another non-conference matchup as the 12th regular-season game, which is allowed on the FBS level. While FCS programs are restricted to 11 regular-season games in most seasons, they are permitted a 12th game in years when there are 13 weekends between Labor Day weekend and the weekend prior to Thanksgiving, such as 2019, ’24, ’25 and ’30.

OVC commissioner Beth DeBauche and Southland commissioner Tom Burnett said last June in a joint statement announcing the proposal that advantages include FCS programs seeking an additional game against an FBS opponent and to have a better chance to reach at least six home games, and that it would aid conferences with an expanded league schedule.

With the Southwestern Athletic Conference dropping from a nine-game conference schedule to seven games beginning this year, only the Southland exceeds an eight-game conference schedule at nine.

While a 12th game would be optional to schools, if permitted the start of the FCS regular season would become the weekend prior to Labor Day weekend.

Dissent toward the proposal could come from conferences that play small league schedules and schools that might feel burdened by increasing scheduling. The smallest FCS conferences are the Big South with six members and the Northeast Conference and Patriot League with seven each.

 

CFB|
    Southland
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

I hope it passes. Would be nice to have the opportunity for another game at least and it's not a requirement so not sure why anyone would be opposed.

no no no. first 24 teams in playoffs and now this crap?

could fcs become even more watered down and trivial??

16 game seasons for NDSU, might as well be a NFL team!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Just like most things that aren't a requirement in reality they become one. Playoff seeding would start to depend on it and honestly I feel like this is being backed by schools that have real chance of going deep in the playoffs and simply want a way to find more $$ by getting slaughtered by 2 FBS teams each year. Powerful teams in powerful conferences should be against this imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm guessing this creates more FBS and more non-DI games.

That said the SLC needs more flexibility to schedule FCS games since they play 9 conference games, which has killed their SOS.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

AKBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Yeah I'm guessing this creates more FBS and more non-DI games.

That said the SLC needs more flexibility to schedule FCS games since they play 9 conference games, which has killed their SOS.
    As long as it's not mandatory, the playoff committee doesn't penalize schools for scheduling a tune up game, and as long as the Valley doesn't try to mandate an extra conference game I am all for it. Schools like NDSU could buy a 7th home game against an area D2 school, HBCU, or non scholarship program. It would be a great way to break in young players and might give fans without season tickets an opportunity to see a game since demand might be a bit lower for that type of game early in the year. Bonus points for scheduling it in August and limiting Student ticketets because they won't show then anyways.

Or.... it provides opportunities for more home and homes with half decent teams...that'd be the fun way to look at it.
    College of Business Alumnus