View Poll Results: Biggest ? mark going into 2016 season.

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finding Joe Haeg's replacement

12 11.21%
  • Finding the next shut down corner

52 48.60%
  • Stick's progression in the passing game

14 13.08%
  • The kicking game

29 27.10%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Biggest ? going into 2016 season.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Biggest ? going into 2016 season.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I don't really want to get into a big thing here because mostly I think all aspects of kicking are over rated but, last year on the kickoffs they returned our opponents only averaged 19.2 yards. So even if the new guy only kicks it to the 5 instead of the goal line, the opponent is still starting their possession around the 25 yard line, which is where they'd get it on a touchback. What's really more important, the kicker or the coverage? Given the low average return length of our opponents were we kicking too many balls in the endzone last season?
    Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Why so risk averse? If you want to kick it in the end zone every time, I'll just take it on the 25, thanks. That's better for me than you dropping a mortar inside the 5, forcing a return and my guy getting brought down, on average, short of the 25 instead. Plus, you're surrendering the chance to recover a krumble, the most devastating turnover in football.
    I disagree...why take that risk? 43 touchbacks last year right? What if all those kicks only make it to the 5 or 10 this year, which means 43 more returns (again, going by last year's numbers)...sure the coverage was great last year but that may not be the case this year. 43 is too great of a number and I would rather not take that risk. I would rather give them the ball at the 25 yard line every time...if just a couple of those returns ended up being a decent return or, God forbid, a TD, that could have devastating effects, especially if we are in some tight games like we were in last year.

I have faith in our kickoff coverage but I'm not sure I have enough for 43 more returns...my heart always stops for a second every time a kickoff lands short of the goal line, doesn't yours? But I always heave a sigh of relief when a touchback occurs...doesn't everybody?

Give it to them on the 25 and let our defense take care of the rest...on the 25 our defense has the luxury to give up a couple first downs, but if the opposing team happens to return it somewhere midfield, now that's getting a little tight for me.

I really hope Cam's leg is up for the task this year or else my heart is going to take a serious beating...pun.

Why take the risk? Perhaps because the 3 times we pinned the return team inside the 5 last year those sequences resulted in 14 points for us. And the 2 times they ran balls past the 32 yard line cost us just 7.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Pretty small sample size. Curious if you have seen/read broader stats that show touchbacks are less/more favorable than non-touchback kicks?

Quote Originally Posted by yopaulie View Post
    Pretty small sample size. Curious if you have seen/read broader stats that show touchbacks are less/more favorable than non-touchback kicks?
    Plus the intangible positives of way less chance of player injuries and fan heart attacks.

Sent from my iPhone.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by yopaulie View Post
    I haven't seen big data sets from college, but the NFL just changed their touch back rule so it's basically the same as the NCAA's now. Maybe that will yield some analysis.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Crew Chiefs is my biggest concern. They lost the most losing Bonnet, Albers and Cyr.

If I have to chose me of those it's the kicking game but it's not even a close 2nd behind the crew chiefs

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by SamsRams View Post
    Crew Chiefs is my biggest concern. They lost the most losing Bonnet, Albers and Cyr.

If I have to chose me of those it's the kicking game but it's not even a close 2nd behind the crew chiefs
    Welcome back, John! I always enjoy seeing a post from you, hope the whirlwind slows down a bit for you and you can post more often.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 13>1 View Post
    Welcome back, John! I always enjoy seeing a post from you, hope the whirlwind slows down a bit for you and you can post more often.
    Award Winning SamsRams™
    Looking good Billy Ray!