Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Jamestown to the Great Plains Athletic Conference

Default Re: University of Jamestown to the Great Plains Athletic Conference

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    Jamestown is the only major city in ND that has the exact same population as they had in 1960. They don't grow, they just change the names to make people think something is happening there.

Back in the 1970's the Jamestown Sun had an editor named Jack Evans who really put the spin on things. You'd have thought Jamestown was keeping up with Fargo the way the propaganda was pitched.

The "regional" hospital at Jamestown airlifts it's serious patients to Fargo, so I guess the name change couldn't improve that. I make fun of Jamestown because of the way they try to be something they never will be. Grand Forks is much the same way at times.
    What is Jamestown trying to be? They seem to fit a niche being a hub for agriculture between Bismarck and Fargo. My wife is from there. We visit her parents a lot in Jamestown. I don't see them trying to be anything but what they are and keeping up with the times. It doesn't have to grow, but it has to develop infrastructure to maintain modernity. The hospital serves the surrounding area. What would you like it called? Does Cleveland have a hospital? It seems the airport is pretty regional if you lived in the region.

The bottom line is I am not sure what you are saying in your post. What is Jamestown trying to be that it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    Jamestown is the only major city in ND that has the exact same population as they had in 1960. They don't grow, they just change the names to make people think something is happening there.

Back in the 1970's the Jamestown Sun had an editor named Jack Evans who really put the spin on things. You'd have thought Jamestown was keeping up with Fargo the way the propaganda was pitched.

The "regional" hospital at Jamestown airlifts it's serious patients to Fargo, so I guess the name change couldn't improve that. I make fun of Jamestown because of the way they try to be something they never will be. Grand Forks is much the same way at times.
    What is Jamestown trying to be? They seem to fit a niche being a hub for agriculture between Bismarck and Fargo. My wife is from there. We visit her parents a lot in Jamestown. I don't see them trying to be anything but what they are and keeping up with the times. It doesn't have to grow, but it has to develop infrastructure to maintain modernity. The hospital serves the surrounding area. What would you like it called? Does Cleveland have a hospital? It seems the airport is pretty regional if you lived in the region.

The bottom line is I am not sure what you are saying in your post. What is Jamestown trying to be that it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    As a high schooler in a "regional town", I remember the Jamestown Sun's sports editor, Jim Nelson. Great writer who gave the surrounding communities good coverage. He was fair, but balanced.
    Hey I talked to Jim Nelson many times years ago. I also knew a great Coach Rollie Greeno from the college. Absolutely a class act.

BisonFan02 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Have you ever been to Sioux Center, Iowa, (Dordt) or Orange City, Iowa (Northwestern) ? Noteworthy in terms of events is the Tulip Festival they have in Orange City every June. One of my daughters graduated from Northwestern. The truth be known, I felt perfectly safe and content having her in Orange City.......the sheriff's name was Andy and the deputy's name was Barney.
    Yes....been to both actually many times for work.

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    Hey I talked to Jim Nelson many times years ago. I also knew a great Coach Rollie Greeno from the college. Absolutely a class act.
    He came and spoke to us at a football teambuilting thing in the summer...told us how dumb his daughter was for thinking her son could play D1 football. He wanted Ryan Smith to play at JC lol.
    College of Business Alumnus

Rollie Sr. and Rollie Jr. officiated high school basketball games for me when I coached in, again, one of those regional communities.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    He came and spoke to us at a football teambuilting thing in the summer...told us how dumb his daughter was for thinking her son could play D1 football. He wanted Ryan Smith to play at JC lol.
    In the same token, Rollie Greeno also thought that Travis Hafner was dumb for thinking he could have a baseball career. Rollie said Hafner had the potential of being an All-American javelin thrower at JC. Go figure .

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Dude was far from a class act when I was in HS. We would be at a track meet and we would talk to him because he had a lot of good lines. Once we asked him if we was recruiting a certain sprinter. "He's so dumb he still spells shit with 2 "t's."

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    Dude was far from a class act when I was in HS. We would be at a track meet and we would talk to him because he had a lot of good lines. Once we asked him if we was recruiting a certain sprinter. "He's so dumb he still spells shit with 2 "t's."
    Isn't he coaching at Montana now?
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBisonRock View Post
    Isn't he coaching at Montana now?
    If you are referring to Rollie Sr, he past away a number of years ago. Rollie Jr. is a sem-retired track coach at Apple Valley, MN. Junior coached track for 38 years there.