Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Jamestown to the Great Plains Athletic Conference

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: University of Jamestown to the Great Plains Athletic Conference

I'll add, it's crazy the amount of out of state kids that go there to play sports.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    I'll add, it's crazy the amount of out of state kids that go there to play sports.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    A shit ton. Hell, for some of them its likely cheaper to go to Jamestown than it is to stay in-state anyway.
    College of Business Alumnus

Thanks for the response and answering my question; Bye. if offering more sports drives enrollment up, more power to UJ. I can identify with those who want to continue playing competitively. I, too, transferred from SU to a state college (actually my Dad made me, too much partying in Fargo and all that) to play collegiate baseball. No one on the team received a dime to play. We played because we loved the sport of baseball.

It’s already been said but yes it brings in more students at a very little cost to the school to add sports

Jimmies men’s volleyball team off to a 2-1 start. First home match will be February 16th. Looking forward to seeing them

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

In the past three years, I have had 2 high school seniors visit Jamestown. Approximately 65% of the students are participating in extra cirricular activities based on UJ info. I found they have used athletics as a way to attract the student to the college when in fact UJ may not have been on the radar screen. Either academically or athletically.

With the amounts offered to participate in sports, the perception of the higher cost private school, very quickly comes in line from a cost standpoint with the state universities.

Thus quickly the cost factor is taken out of the equation. Which then turns to come to UJ and you can play. In both instances my seniors when told D2 and D3 schools you will eventually play, but it will take a year or two. Whereas UJ the opportunity is faster. So then the student (and parent) is comparing cost the same, can play right away. The athletic side becomes more appealing.

The school itself. The university has highly regarded nursing/chemisty/biology programs and well received business school. So the academic aspect looks positive.

Leadership. The current President Polly Pederson has a presence and is growing the school. Both through academics, athletics and the endowment. Although it is a smaller town and a smaller campus, things are happening. UJ place is new student housing for over 100 kids. The Newman Arena is as nice as facility as you are going to find. University and School district are doing a private (UJ) public (school district) private (business community) plan on the campus.

At the end of the day it has to have the right feel for the student. But visiting the university you can see why it holding its own.

Women’s hockey is on its way. Being a former high school girls hockey coach this will give more opportunities for girls in our state to continue to play a sport they love
    https://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/...hockey-program

Quote Originally Posted by pucknut9 View Post
    Women’s hockey is on its way. Being a former high school girls hockey coach this will give more opportunities for girls in our state to continue to play a sport they love
    https://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/...hockey-program
    Helps out a couple ways. More money in Jamestown and probably keeps the girls in the state after graduation. Double win
    College of Business Alumnus

UJ is also adding women’s swimming and diving team next year

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

@kan1one...that is common of many D3 schools in the Midwest especially. In the conference i officiate in it's not uncommon to have 60-70 freshmen on the football roster of 120 students. They pay a JV schedule to keep as many engaged as possible. They use athletics in general to recruit students to the university knowing many of them will not stick with their sport due to numbers. But once they are on campus for a year and make friends they are not committed to the school even if they do their sport. I've generally heard 40-60% of freshmen at most of these D3 schools are athletes. It's not a bad strategy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk