Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Jamestown to the Great Plains Athletic Conference

Default Re: University of Jamestown to the Great Plains Athletic Conference

Quote Originally Posted by pucknut9 View Post
    Unfortunately he’s back in a coma and did a trach and feeding tube. Going to try to bring him out again this week.
    Coach Nienhaus is doing much better. Off the ventilator and up and laughing and ready to go home soon

Coach Nienhaus is doing much better. Off the ventilator and up and laughing and ready to go home soon
    Good to hear. Been a battle for him.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Coach Nienhaus is coming home tomorrow. Greeting him home at the UJ Place at 1:15. He battled Covid and beat it

That is great news. Glad to see him back. Here is to a full recovery and back to normal, whatever that is now a days.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Coach Nienhaus is coming home tomorrow. Greeting him home at the UJ Place at 1:15. He battled Covid and beat it
    Hell yeah. Jamestown wins again. Eat shit rona
    College of Business Alumnus

Sounds like in 2 years they will be adding a women’s hockey team. This has been in the talks for 5 years now but it really sounds like it’s going to happen. I hope it does. Will give more opportunities for gals in our state a chance to continue playing a sport they love while obviously getting a great education

Sounds like in 2 years they will be adding a women’s hockey team. This has been in the talks for 5 years now but it really sounds like it’s going to happen. I hope it does. Will give more opportunities for gals in our state a chance to continue playing a sport they love while obviously getting a great education
    Gotta ask this, pucknut9, how in the world is the University of Jamestown funding all of these outlier sports? I mean women's hockey?? Really?? Some person/persons/corporation has some very deep pockets...…..

Since it is ACHA club hockey the school doesn't really have to commit a lot of resources to the hockey programs. I believe club sports at most colleges are funded partially by student activity fees, so that may provide some support for coach's salaries, etc., but I would guess most of the budget comes from the players. ACHA is a pay-to-play model. Corporate sponsorships would keep hockey tuition costs down, or maybe even make it free. School tuition would be on the student-athletes. It really is not much different than NCAA D3 schools where athletics helps to drive up school enrollment.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Gotta ask this, pucknut9, how in the world is the University of Jamestown funding all of these outlier sports? I mean women's hockey?? Really?? Some person/persons/corporation has some very deep pockets...…..
    Here is my basic understanding of the UJ model.

UJ is a small school and an absurd amount of their students are there to continue playing sports, or some other extra-curricular activity (music/art stuff comes to mind).

For most of the kids going there, it's not "basketball is paying for my education" but rather "im here because it was an opportunity to keep playing basketball." Since athletics drives enrollment, I suppose it makes sense for them to add sports when they see an opportunity. Anything requiring a gym, football field, soccer field, or hockey arena is covered facilities-wise at this point.

So for them, women's hockey is not going to be the financial drain it was at UND, they'll get 25 new students (or whatever number is on a team) out of the deal paying tuition, the city has an arena, conveniently on or next to the campus, and they can provide coaching opportunities to local and/or young people (IOW cheap).

A few years ago I didn't understand how that place works but I think its starting to make sense now. If you look at sports there the way you look at NDSU/UND, it will make zero sense. For them, its a way to get more essentially guaranteed students at the school. Those recruits have friends, siblings, and significant others too, might snag one or two of them to come to Jamestown or at least raise some awareness.

A few of my friends transferred home from NDSU/UND literally because they missed playing competitive sports too, so the more athletics opportunities they provide, the more of those kids they can grab too.

Tl;dr version: athletics costs them much less, and drives their enrollment rather than just enhancing it like it does at D1 schools.
    College of Business Alumnus