Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAAs - T & F

Default Re: 2016 NCAAs - T & F

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    What does it take to All-American in track and has anyone done it in the DI era?
    Place in the top 8 in an event. There have been many. Couldn't find a list of them though.

533 In a row

1-8 get first team honors, 9-16 get second team, everyone else who makes nationals gets honorable mention honors.

Here's what I've got for 1st and 2nd team All-Americans. Really wish NDSU would have updated media guides or a better search engine. I have a feeling I missed a couple/few. By my count it's 14 different student athletes in 16 events for a total of 22 awards.

Code:
    Men
    2015	Matti Mortimore		1T	Javelin		 7th	Outdoor
    2013	Andy Lillejord		1T	Heptathlon	 7th	Indoor
    2009	Matt Bishhoff		NA	Heptathlon	11th	Indoor

Women
    2014	Morgan Milbrath		2T	4x400m Relay	11th	Indoor
    	Ashley Tingelstad
    	Ashley Heinze
    	Paige Stratioti
    2014	Morgan Milbrath		2T	4x400m Relay	14th	Outdoor
    	Ashley Tingelstad
    	Antoinette Goodman
    	Paige Stratioti
    2014	Deborah John		2T	100m Hurdles	15th	Outdoor
    2012	Leslie Brost		1T	Pole Vault	 4th	Indoor
    2011	Whitney Carlson		2T	Long Jump	12th	Indoor
    2011	Whitney Carlson		2T	Pentathlon	16th	Indoor
    2011	Whitney Carlson		1T	Heptathlon	 5th	Outdoor
    2011	Whitney Carlson		2T	Long Jump	 9th	Outdoor
    2011	Christine Schmaltz	2T	800m		 9th	Outdoor
    2010	Heather Zander		NA	Heptathlon	 9th	Outdoor
    2010	Whitney Carlson		NA	Long Jump	11th	Outdoor
    2009	Laura Hermanson		NA	800m		 7th	Indoor
    2009	Laura Hermanson		NA	800m		 2nd	Outdoor
    The 1st/2nd/HM started in 2011; before that it was A-A or nothing. I didn't include honorable mentions in this list.

Erin ran a 9:40 3000M Steeple last summer, running for Canada. This is her best time.
    This was a couple seconds better than she did at the NCAAs a few weeks before that.

Many runners will step up their game for the NCAA Championships in T & F, so even though the best regional times were in the 9:50 range, those times very likely will drop this weekend. Erin almost certainly will make All-American (and I would say first team All-American) - unless she gets sick, careems into a barrier and gets hurts, etc. - and has a really good shot at winning this event.

I believe the collegiate record is about 9:25. Erin's 9:40 is not far from that and overall she is running better times this year. So if she is on her game, she will be a tough contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    1-8 get first team honors, 9-16 get second team, everyone else who makes nationals gets honorable mention honors.

Here's what I've got for 1st and 2nd team All-Americans. Really wish NDSU would have updated media guides or a better search engine. I have a feeling I missed a couple/few. By my count it's 14 different student athletes in 16 events for a total of 22 awards.

Code:
    Men
    2015	Matti Mortimore		1T	Javelin		 7th	Outdoor
    2013	Andy Lillejord		1T	Heptathlon	 7th	Indoor
    2009	Matt Bishhoff		NA	Heptathlon	11th	Indoor

Women
    2014	Morgan Milbrath		2T	4x400m Relay	11th	Indoor
    	Ashley Tingelstad
    	Ashley Heinze
    	Paige Stratioti
    2014	Morgan Milbrath		2T	4x400m Relay	14th	Outdoor
    	Ashley Tingelstad
    	Antoinette Goodman
    	Paige Stratioti
    2014	Deborah John		2T	100m Hurdles	15th	Outdoor
    2012	Leslie Brost		1T	Pole Vault	 4th	Indoor
    2011	Whitney Carlson		2T	Long Jump	12th	Indoor
    2011	Whitney Carlson		2T	Pentathlon	16th	Indoor
    2011	Whitney Carlson		1T	Heptathlon	 5th	Outdoor
    2011	Whitney Carlson		2T	Long Jump	 9th	Outdoor
    2011	Christine Schmaltz	2T	800m		 9th	Outdoor
    2010	Heather Zander		NA	Heptathlon	 9th	Outdoor
    2010	Whitney Carlson		NA	Long Jump	11th	Outdoor
    2009	Laura Hermanson		NA	800m		 7th	Indoor
    2009	Laura Hermanson		NA	800m		 2nd	Outdoor
    The 1st/2nd/HM started in 2011; before that it was A-A or nothing. I didn't include honorable mentions in this list.
    I may have forgotten someone too, but here are two from last year that are not in your excellent list:
    Maddie Van Beek - 1st team All-American in 3000m Steeplechase
    Erin Teschuck - 1st team All-American in 3000m Steeplechase

I believe Rosenau was 2nd team All-American in the javelin.

Still amazing that as a high school freshman, Milbrath's 400 Meter time of 53.31 in the 2010 North Dakota HS state meet would have been good enough for 9th best in this spring's NCAA West Regional......................................AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN WIN THAT RACE!.........or should I say, "Roes".

Renner will be throwing in the Shot Put today in a couple hours.
    It is a final. Best of luck to the chap. May everything click for him and yield a personal best.

Edit: Oops, off a day and forgot to mention Mortimore. They both throw tomorrow - Wednesday.
    Teschuk runs a semifinal in the 3000m Steeplechase on Thursday, with the final on Sunday.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 06-08-2016 at 03:25 AM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Still amazing that as a high school freshman, Milbrath's 400 Meter time of 53.31 in the 2010 North Dakota HS state meet would have been good enough for 9th best in this spring's NCAA West Regional......................................AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN WIN THAT RACE!.........or should I say, "Roes".
    Yep ... makes one wonder how much is physical versus mental to explain high school versus college. Young, carefree versus older and self-conscious. No data on this, but I suspect womens' bodies change more from freshman in high school to junior in college than it does for young men - this can be a factor. I assume the training at NDSU is better.

Roesler had issues - physical? 'thinking'? - during the same years of her life. Ran a 2:03 and change (that North Dakota high schools don't recognize) at a nationally sanctioned meet in June of her sophomore year, and did not improve on that until her junior year at Oregon. Once she finally got past that she improved 4 seconds pretty quickly, running 1:59 at the end of her senior year.

I was happy to be wrong about Laura. I didn't think that she would ever break 2:00.
    Working with young athletes for a big chunk of my career......I thought that she peaked right around the time that she transitioned from Fargo South to Oregon. The early maturation of female athletes vs. males that B. Rider talks about is certainly a real thing. But as was mentioned, specialized training along with mental toughness, hard work, and will can get it done.

What a winner she is!

Does anyone know if she is gunning for the Olympics in the 800m?

She was somehow able to work through a brief slump and finished her college career with a bang.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    I was happy to be wrong about Laura. I didn't think that she would ever break 2:00.
    Working with young athletes for a big chunk of my career......I thought that she peaked right around the time that she transitioned from Fargo South to Oregon. The early maturation of female athletes vs. males that B. Rider talks about is certainly a real thing. But as was mentioned, specialized training along with mental toughness, hard work, and will can get it done.

What a winner she is!

Does anyone know if she is gunning for the Olympics in the 800m?

She was somehow able to work through a brief slump and finished her college career with a bang.
    She is gunning for the Olympics, at a time when the US has never been tougher in the 800m for women. Roesler has the 4th best time of US women in the 800m so far. She ran 2:00.15 on May 20. However, the top 11 women in the 800m have run from 2:00.05 to 2:01.11 - to give you an idea how deep and tight this event is. I think most people rank the 800m W as (1) Ajee Wilson, (2) Brenda Martinez (3) Laura Roesler. However, Ludlow has run a 1:57 in practice, R. Rogers (Oregan sophomore) ran 1:59 last year to win the NCAA and run her best time by something like 2 seconds (a huge jump) so seems a legit threat. Mary Cain has not, apparently, run the 800m yet this year, but I think she ran 1:58 something last year - if she goes to the Olympic Trials, almost surely she will do the 1500m. The present 800m leader - Kate Grace - ran her first sub 2:00 last summer - about 1:59.5 so seems to be headed for a really good year of personal bests (having run so fast so early and assuming she peaks in July/August). It could also be that K.Grace is peaking early. (Data from trackandfieldnews.com)

At the world level, the best 800m so far is a 1:56.64 and nine women have run under 2:00 in 2016 - none of them Americans.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 06-09-2016 at 12:05 PM.

First day results - the men brought home two All-American honors. (2nd team AA).

A great accomplishment, very happy for them and for NDSU's T & F program.

I have a bias toward, a belief that, the men and women need to step up for the biggest meets. On this count, I was disappointed that neither Renner nor Mortimore had personal bests on the biggest of college stages. (Mortimore: 230 ft at NCAA vs personal best of 248. Renner: 61 feet NCAA versus personal best of 62). Still, AA status is tremendous.

I'll admit there is a lot that goes into a great performance physically and mentally, but mainly mentally, when all the marbles are on the table. I also know that a lot can happen on the day (days before) a big meet that can affect a performance negatively (family issue, food poisoning, breakup with boyfriend or girlfriend, getting tripped or boxed in during a race, wet surface for throwers, and on and on)