Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Klieman signs a 6-year contract

Default Re: Klieman signs a 6-year contract

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    Maybe the next HC here is Gus Bradley. Kind of a reboot to his career.
    Any idea what his current salary as DC for the Chargers is? I'm guessing that would be a pretty big pay cut.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    I was always under the impression that the CB hiring and his leaving were done as well as it could be. And that nothing was done that was underhanded. If I am incorrect, can someone elaborate a little please. I do know that some fans thought it was shitty of him to leave, but who can blame a guy for wanting to get a pay raise and try to advance his career.
    Actually most of the time it's brought up it seems the answer is "I don't want to get into it" and "go find it". I really don't see why there's any need to send smoke signals about it anymore since it's going on 4 years ago now.

What I've heard is the outgoing Wyoming staff took every bit of recruiting info they had with them so, while they couldn't contact NDSU verbals as per a "handshake agreement" between Taylor and Bohl unless those verbals contacted them first, it left the remaining coaches scrambling trying to ensure that they touched base with all the current verbals and rebuilt their recruiting board for the stretch run of the recruiting season which was not a pleasant experience for Klieman when he was trying to build a coaching staff on top of it at the same time.

Other than that I've heard that the open door policy in the coach's offices quickly became a closed door policy where the coaches leaving for Wyoming and the coaches staying essentially had their own meetings and their own carpools up to Grand Forks (they practiced up at the Alerus some that December since it was before the bubble was around and the dome was occupied). Let's just say the guys staying and the guys leaving weren't exactly on each other's Christmas list.

Why that was is probably a long story but the main reason seems to be that Bohl felt jaded since he thought he had Klieman's word that he was going with him to Wyoming and he thought Klieman reneged on that by staying to take the HC job. From what I've heard from Klieman's perspective he never agreed to go to Wyoming only saying that he'd consider it.

So it was quite the little soap opera. I don't know how much more there was to it but there's probably more than what I mentioned above. In either case I think both Bohl and Klieman and their respective staff's have done well for themselves in the time since and I doubt any of the coaches that stayed or went have much regret about the choice they made.... maybe just a little regret on some bridges burned on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Actually most of the time it's brought up it seems the answer is "I don't want to get into it" and "go find it". I really don't see why there's any need to send smoke signals about it anymore since it's going on 4 years ago now.

What I've heard is the outgoing Wyoming staff took every bit of recruiting info they had with them so, while they couldn't contact NDSU verbals as per a "handshake agreement" between Taylor and Bohl unless those verbals contacted them first, it left the remaining coaches scrambling trying to ensure that they touched base with all the current verbals and rebuilt their recruiting board for the stretch run of the recruiting season which was not a pleasant experience for Klieman when he was trying to build a coaching staff on top of it at the same time.

Other than that I've heard that the open door policy in the coach's offices quickly became a closed door policy where the coaches leaving for Wyoming and the coaches staying essentially had their own meetings and their own carpools up to Grand Forks (they practiced up at the Alerus some that December since it was before the bubble was around and the dome was occupied). Let's just say the guys staying and the guys leaving weren't exactly on each other's Christmas list.

Why that was is probably a long story but the main reason seems to be that Bohl felt jaded since he thought he had Klieman's word that he was going with him to Wyoming and he thought Klieman reneged on that by staying to take the HC job. From what I've heard from Klieman's perspective he never agreed to go to Wyoming only saying that he'd consider it.

So it was quite the little soap opera. I don't know how much more there was to it but there's probably more than what I mentioned above. In either case I think both Bohl and Klieman and their respective staff's have done well for themselves in the time since and I doubt any of the coaches that stayed or went have much regret about the choice they made.... maybe just a little regret on some bridges burned on the way out.
    dont forget, the fact there was cowboy recruiting happening on ndsu's dime. but yeah rhe fact they hide the recruiting materials and then treid to snag some of ndsu's gems....they got at rb and cb????

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Thanks. It's nice to have it summarized like that.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Definitely a tough spot for everyone involved. For a team that makes deep runs in the playoffs continuously I don't know that there is a good way to leave the program. Most of the new hires take place in December from an FBS perspective.
    Last edited by wagsabison; 12-13-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    Definitely a tough spot for everyone involved. For a team that makes deep runs in the playoffs continuously I don't know that there is a good way to leave the program. Most of the new hires take place in December form an FBS perspective.
    And now, Nebraska folks are already ripping on Frost for trying to aid in coaching Central Florida. Bohl was right when he said there was never going to be a good time and now Frost is again showing why.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    dont forget, the fact there was cowboy recruiting happening on ndsu's dime. but yeah rhe fact they hide the recruiting materials and then treid to snag some of ndsu's gems....they got at rb and cb????
    Can't blame the guy for wanting to move up, but the thing that always bothered me most was how/when the whole thing went down. IIRC, news broke hours after the first playoff game that year and that's how the players found out. Then they had a meeting at the dome Sunday morning. I doubt that's what Bohl wanted, but just the way it came out wasn't optimal.

That and Bohl kept saying his focus was 100% on the 2013 Bison when it was clear his time/effort was being split between the new and old jobs rubbed me the wrong way. You can't say that and interview at Wyoming during a playoff run.

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If it's true that recruit paperwork was stolen, that goes well beyond "bad timing," and really leaves a bad taste in my mouth for Bohl and anyone else involved. It's one thing to move up, and quite another to burn the old house down on your way out the door.
    Co-founder of the Bluegrass Bison crew, Kev’s bag holder.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    Can't blame the guy for wanting to move up, but the thing that always bothered me most was how/when the whole thing went down. IIRC, news broke hours after the first playoff game that year and that's how the players found out. Then they had a meeting at the dome Sunday morning. I doubt that's what Bohl wanted, but just the way it came out wasn't optimal.

That and Bohl kept saying his focus was 100% on the 2013 Bison when it was clear his time/effort was being split between the new and old jobs rubbed me the wrong way. You can't say that and interview at Wyoming during a playoff run.
    I don't know, it certainly took a lot more effort on his part to do that, and I think the team and most fans appreciated it at the time. Everything can look different when you nitpick in hindsight.

the 2013 team was so good they didnt need coaches
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant