Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Outdoor Track & Field Off to a Roaring Start

Default 2016 Outdoor Track & Field Off to a Roaring Start

In particular..............the throwers:

The pdf link below shows the tremendous success thus far in both the men's and women's track teams.

http://www.ustfccca.org/assets/ranki...AllByEvent.pdf

The throwers, in particular, are tearing it up and are among the top groups in the country.

MEN'S NATIONAL RANKINGS:

Shot put: # 3 (4 guys have thrown further than 55 feet)
    Discus: # 19 (4 guys have thrown the discus over 155 feet)
    Javelin: #1 (3 guys have surpassed 220 feet!)
    Hammer Throw: #4 (4 guys have thrown over 193 feet)

If these performances keep ramping up throughout the entire season, then thrower's coach Justin St. Clair has to be in the discussion for national assistant coach of the year.

Default Re: 2016 Outdoor Track & Field Off to a Roaring Start

Can't forget about the women's team:

WOMEN"S NATIONAL RANKINGS:

Shot Put: # 1
    Discuss: # 8
    Javelin: # 6
    Women's Hammer: # 3

HUGE NUMBERS for the ladies. If this keeps up, not a whole of moving up in the rankings (as individuals) could net them points at the outdoor nationals.
    Last edited by IzzyFlexion; 04-14-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: second scan of the individua performancel numbers

The throwers are kicking ass. Southern Illinois is very good in those events too, btw. They parlay their excellence in the throws into top NCAA finishes.

I recommend following @NDSUTrackField.

There are some many personal bests and top 10 all-time results that it's hard to keep up. I think both the men and women have logged three school records - and the outdoor season is pretty young.

Saw Erin beat the 5000m by 20 seconds and now has 2nd fastest time in NCAA this year.
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Junior Alex Renner bettered his own NDSU shot put record by 10 inches on Saturday.

Renner's 62' 4 1/2" toss was good for 2nd place at the Beach Invitational in Southern California. Renner's PR moves him up to having the 10th best throw in the nation this spring. (up from #15)

Also in the shot put event, Senior Brandt Berghuis placed 4th with a personal best of 59' 2 3/4" moving up to 3rd all-time at NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    The throwers are kicking ass. Southern Illinois is very good in those events too, btw. They parlay their excellence in the throws into top NCAA finishes.
    Well, this may change since their coach John Smith and his wife Connie Price-Smith have left for Mississippi. But yes, historically SIU is great in the throws. One year I believe they took top 5 in the women's hammer.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Saw Erin beat the 5000m by 20 seconds and now has 2nd fastest time in NCAA this year.
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.
    So does that have any impact on AA status.....I am ignorant of how AA works in T&F (Top national times in an event)

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    So does that have any impact on AA status.....I am ignorant of how AA works in T&F (Top national times in an event)

Not sure exactly but believe she has to finish in the top 8 or whatever number in the national championship meet, assuming she's already firmly qualified to run in with that time.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Not sure exactly but believe she has to finish in the top 8 or whatever number in the national championship meet, assuming she's already firmly qualified to run in with that time.
    Thanks...I was just curious if one owned a top time but failed to place in the NC if one would have earned AA status. Also, I know there are qualifying tournaments etc., but was also wondering if one owns the top time/distance does one receive an auto bid to the NC?