Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Rule Changes

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Proposed Rule Changes

The helmet communication won't affect fans watching games at all. They claim the 2-minute warning will replace one of the existing TV time outs so it shouldn't affect the length, but it will affect the strategy at the end of a half. Expanding the 10-second run-off situation will impact more games. There aren't many horse-collar tackles in the tackle box anyway, but this added protection will simplify the rule. The first down clock rule was already in D1 and D2 last year, and it only cut games by 3-4 minutes. Very insignificant. Glad we'll be consistent in D3 though.

The biggest one I'm curious to see is the uniform rule. There are so many rule violations in D1 games it makes it very difficult for us to enforce in D3 ("but they do it!"). The last thing they want to do is send out the star running back because he refuses to tuck in his jersey or pull his pants down to cover his knees. I'm assuming this is being added to get teams to comply without having to enforce, because I still can't see them sending out a player for this reason in a B1G game.

These rules have not been approved officially yet so they aren't final. I don't expect much push back on this list though.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/3/1/m...ogy-rules.aspx

• Helmet Communication for FBS only. Experimental in other levels. Sideline technology now allowed for all levels
    • 2 minute warning with recommendation to sync up the runoff rules to align with the warning
    • Uniform penalty changed to a warning and player must exit the game on 1st violation. Subsequent violations are a charged time out or DOG if no time outs left.
    • Horse-collar within the tackle box in now a penalty
    • Clock will run on 1st Downs in D3
    • Collaborative Replay formally added to rule book.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Proposed Rule Changes

While rare, I've seen enough tackles made by grabbing the shirt tail of the ball carrier that I've never understood why coaches don't make the tuck a hard and fast rule on their team. If all the defender can get is your shirt, you're good for a few more yards or even the house simply by tucking.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    While rare, I've seen enough tackles made by grabbing the shirt tail of the ball carrier that I've never understood why coaches don't make the tuck a hard and fast rule on their team. If all the defender can get is your shirt, you're good for a few more yards or even the house simply by tucking.
    Same with hair.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    That's not the issue here. It's players who either tuck their jerseys up under their shoulder pads or have exposed back pads. The latter is actually dangerous and a player could fall on their back with the back pad perpendicular to the ground which could cause a spinal cord injury or internal organs. It's rare, but it has happened. Just tuck your jersey in and look like a football player. And don't make us be the fashion police. It's not hard. The latest trend is the dangling mouth pieces. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    That's not the issue here. It's players who either tuck their jerseys up under their shoulder pads or have exposed back pads. The latter is actually dangerous and a player could fall on their back with the back pad perpendicular to the ground which could cause a spinal cord injury or internal organs. It's rare, but it has happened. Just tuck your jersey in and look like a football player. And don't make us be the fashion police. It's not hard. The latest trend is the dangling mouth pieces. Why?
    This one bugs me more than it probably should, but I cannot stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTitan View Post
    This one bugs me more than it probably should, but I cannot stand it.
    Is it to prove that you're tough and don't need a mouth guard?
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Is it to prove that you're tough and don't need a mouth guard?
    No. Just a cool trendy thing they see so they imitate it. No different than exposed back pads, short pants, bandana tails, bicep can calf bands, face paint, etc. Not all of those are illegal, but they all serve the same purpose. Look at me because I'm cool and trendy. Sometime the players will wear a mouth piece and have the extra one dangling.

What what weve seen is a total lack of not following the rules. One year the NCAA came out and said they were going to start enforcing the short pants rule and nothing happened. May be telling every team that if they come out in short pants that player will be disqualified until he complies?????
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    What what weve seen is a total lack of not following the rules. One year the NCAA came out and said they were going to start enforcing the short pants rule and nothing happened. May be telling every team that if they come out in short pants that player will be disqualified until he complies?????
    If they did that and it was the starting QB in the Michigan Ohio State game, they would be crucified. The NFL has less of this because they handle it with fines from the league. You still see some things, but they are very minor and fans probably never notice (player wears Adidas rather than Nike or his socks are a slightly different color).

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

If they did that and it was the starting QB in the Michigan Ohio State game, they would be crucified. The NFL has less of this because they handle it with fines from the league. You still see some things, but they are very minor and fans probably never notice (player wears Adidas rather than Nike or his socks are a slightly different color).

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    You have to notify the teams that the rules be enforced. The powers that be then inform the players. Then your equipment manager doest issue anything that is in violation of the rules. They you have coach reinforce the fact that you will dress appropriately and you will not alter the uniforms.

So you are saying the players are running the show? They are going to say piss on you aint following the rules?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."