Page 4 of 155 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: 1660am rebranding to "The Bison."

Default Re: 1660am rebranding to "The Bison."

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    I lived in Arkansas for several years and the sports radio station there was set up as essentially the Hogs channel. They switched over to one of the national feeds for late night, but the rest of the day it was local hosts. Pretty much all the coverage revolved around University of Arkansas athletics, and high school sports when things got slow. I want to say it was local hosts and athletic events from about 8am to midnight.

It is doable to have a dedicated Bison station, but it takes a lot of staff. Not sure Radio FM would be willing to spend that much to get it going.
    Did they still have Razorback Roundup?

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmakesthegrassgrow View Post
    Did they still have Razorback Roundup?
    The name sounds familiar. I lived there from 2004-2009.
    Looking good Billy Ray!

Who the hell wants to listen to Bison 24/7?
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

It won't be an all Bison talk station, there isn't enough to talk about all day to keep the demographic that they are going after interested. Compare it to the rebrand of Big 98.7, same ownership group going after competition across the street. They think having more Bison talk can take away ratings from KFGO and The Fan. Realistically, it's hard to see the ownership group having no more then 3 full timers working on the station. I bet they do a 2 to 3 hour local show primarily consisting of Bison talk and they utilize people like Jeremy Jorgenson and all of the coaches from NDSU. Probably similar to P.A with all of his Viking and Wild talk.

Press conferences, weekly coaches shows, Bison feedback, 3-4 hours a day of talk, 3-4 hours of games or replays, 3-4 hours of caller driven discussion, maybe have an AD show with Matt. Add in local news and weather cut ins and I see plenty of choices to fill the time, question is if people stay tuned in enough to sell advertisers. I think KFGO had a lot of success with Bison talk, I see Bison 1660 being a success as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Dutchman View Post
    It won't be an all Bison talk station, there isn't enough to talk about all day to keep the demographic that they are going after interested. Compare it to the rebrand of Big 98.7, same ownership group going after competition across the street. They think having more Bison talk can take away ratings from KFGO and The Fan. Realistically, it's hard to see the ownership group having no more then 3 full timers working on the station. I bet they do a 2 to 3 hour local show primarily consisting of Bison talk and they utilize people like Jeremy Jorgenson and all of the coaches from NDSU. Probably similar to P.A with all of his Viking and Wild talk.
    That would certainly make Jack Michaels a pretty solid candidate. His radio show has some pretty decent ratings

Glad it won't be ALL Bison but obviously a TON of stuff would be awesome. I think it'd fair to say MOST Bison fans are also fans of the Vikes/Packers, Twins, Wolves, and Wild. For obvious reasons we need a focus around those teams too. Let's face it the average Joe when football/basketball season is done would rather talk regional pro sports than NDSU baseball or softball. It's just reality. Doesn't mean we can't cover them but if the core demographic is the 100 people who attend softball games, it's going to get killed in ratings.

I am happy to have a go to station for weekly press conferences and other sports.

Should be interesting cross promoting. Ingstad knows his stuff and NDSU has great visibility. Heck could advertise the radio station on state wide tv and on Midco. Not to mention on the Web , bison radio network, and on the new giant video boards. Were just all over

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    That would certainly make Jack Michaels a pretty solid candidate. His radio show has some pretty decent ratings

Glad it won't be ALL Bison but obviously a TON of stuff would be awesome. I think it'd fair to say MOST Bison fans are also fans of the Vikes/Packers, Twins, Wolves, and Wild. For obvious reasons we need a focus around those teams too. Let's face it the average Joe when football/basketball season is done would rather talk regional pro sports than NDSU baseball or softball. It's just reality. Doesn't mean we can't cover them but if the core demographic is the 100 people who attend softball games, it's going to get killed in ratings.

I am happy to have a go to station for weekly press conferences and other sports.

Should be interesting cross promoting. Ingstad knows his stuff and NDSU has great visibility. Heck could advertise the radio station on state wide tv and on Midco. Not to mention on the Web , bison radio network, and on the new giant video boards. Were just all over
    Speak for yourself....I don't care two farts about MN pro sports. If I did, well there are already plenty of formats to get that information. Adding one more in the mix does nothing. What shocks me is how many of you think NDSU is all sports and nothing but sports. There is a lot of BIG things happen at NDSU that do not involve sports. Things that impact the local and regional economy, extension etc!!!!!! If done right you use sports (the front porch) to bring people to the Bison and the format to educate and BUILD THE UNIVERSITY'S BRAND.

For Bleep sake people WTFU!

Yea well you're not the majority so nobody cares what you give a fart about

And good luck with your all NDSU station not involving sports. That would be terrible radio

I've been leaked a copy of the psych 101 exam and let tell you listeners it's a doozy!
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Yea well you're not the majority so nobody cares what you give a fart about
    Why do you think this is going to a 24/7 sports station?