Page 3 of 155 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 1660am rebranding to "The Bison."

Default Re: 1660am rebranding to "The Bison."

Bump is by far the best radio show in a 5 state radius. Probably one of the more interesting characters also in a 5state radius too. Love him

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Bump is by far the best radio show in a 5 state radius. Probably one of the more interesting characters also in a 5state radius too. Love him
    Agreed. He's so versatile, plus his rapport with guests is off the charts. Him and JG have great synergy too, which really adds to the show. I'm not sure how he hasn't gotten a gig someplace bigger.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

I think we will see radio daily talk coverage drop a bit, have to admit kfgo did good for all the talk NDSU got through an average week
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Once in awhile he catches lightening in a bottle with an interview. I remember him having a lady on that was liberated from a concentration camp and ended up marrying an American soldier. It is that type of interview that comes out of the blue and is very memorable. Of course "Mace in your face" is very entertaining, too.

I think it was the second time that we played the Gophers that Dark stated that the Bison had no chance and he would walk to Fargo if the Bison beat them. Don't think he ever made good on that.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    I used to be an avid Lex and Terry listener when I drove for my job, then would turn it to KFAN when PA & Dubay started. I very quickly tired of the recycled stuff on L&T and ended up doing about like what you did. Would catch bits and pieces of Star if I was out of town and couldn't get L&T. Pretty soon it was just my routine to listen to them. They seem to love their jobs and it shows in their style...and quite frankly, rubs off on my mood in the morning.

I used to be a really big Common Man fan as well, but I just don't listen as much now that I'm at my desk. Bump is easily my favorite show/host followed by Power Trip.
    I always liked PA and Dubay. Common Man got old fast. Back in the old days I liked David Moulton and Derek Hansons show.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

So let's change this discussion a bit. If truely branded as bison 1660, is the "bison brand" big enough to support and sustain?

At one point I thought yes. Have year round bison football coverage, add in the "other" bison sports stories, a mens bb run to the NCAA, womens softball good victories and you could make a business model of it.

But looking at a spin off of it, herds and horns, that is what they have tried to have capture. A bison theme. I don't think it has worked well. Aside from bad location, no daytime parking and well you don't need to go any further, people don't go there just because it is a bison theme bar. So I don't know if all bison all the time, will work on the radio. Drago does okay with the Bison illustrated, but I have different reasons why I think that goes okay.

Also, some chatter about fees related to cost of team makers and football tickets. Oil and ag money has dried up. Opportunity to get some seats might exist.

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    So let's change this discussion a bit. If truely branded as bison 1660, is the "bison brand" big enough to support and sustain?

At one point I thought yes. Have year round bison football coverage, add in the "other" bison sports stories, a mens bb run to the NCAA, womens softball good victories and you could make a business model of it.

But looking at a spin off of it, herds and horns, that is what they have tried to have capture. A bison theme. I don't think it has worked well. Aside from bad location, no daytime parking and well you don't need to go any further, people don't go there just because it is a bison theme bar. So I don't know if all bison all the time, will work on the radio. Drago does okay with the Bison illustrated, but I have different reasons why I think that goes okay.

Also, some chatter about fees related to cost of team makers and football tickets. Oil and ag money has dried up. Opportunity to get some seats might exist.
    bar/restaurant is totally different than sports talk radio, no 1660 does not need to be all NDSU, but having good programming with people who don't talk to hear themselves talk and are knowledgeable would go...Fargo is a sports town it will work if they do it right

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    bar/restaurant is totally different than sports talk radio, no 1660 does not need to be all NDSU, but having good programming with people who don't talk to hear themselves talk and are knowledgeable would go...Fargo is a sports town it will work if they do it right
    Has nothing to do with being a restuarant. The Herds and horns site failed as food/coffee/bar site multiple times. They are trying to sell bison brand. That is what I want to discuss in regards to the radio. If you brand it "bison 1660" it will be bison based.

Thus my question. Is the bison brand big enough to support a business. I don't think at Herd's and horn as a bar/restuarant with a bison theme works. Can a radio station work? IDK

Longhorn Network and Big ten Network works. Can a bison radio network work?

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    Has nothing to do with being a restuarant. The Herds and horns site failed as food/coffee/bar site multiple times. They are trying to sell bison brand. That is what I want to discuss in regards to the radio. If you brand it "bison 1660" it will be bison based.

Thus my question. Is the bison brand big enough to support a business. I don't think at Herd's and horn as a bar/restuarant with a bison theme works. Can a radio station work? IDK

Longhorn Network and Big ten Network works. Can a bison radio network work?
    I get it, but radio is different they don't need to be 100 percent bison

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    I get it, but radio is different they don't need to be 100 percent bison

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I lived in Arkansas for several years and the sports radio station there was set up as essentially the Hogs channel. They switched over to one of the national feeds for late night, but the rest of the day it was local hosts. Pretty much all the coverage revolved around University of Arkansas athletics, and high school sports when things got slow. I want to say it was local hosts and athletic events from about 8am to midnight.

It is doable to have a dedicated Bison station, but it takes a lot of staff. Not sure Radio FM would be willing to spend that much to get it going.
    Looking good Billy Ray!