Page 86 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast

Thread: 1660am rebranding to "The Bison."

Default Re: 1660am rebranding to "The Bison."

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1952 View Post
    I don't doubt FCC, SOBE and some legislators want to bring NDSU down a lot of notches but in the case of FCC, could they be cutting off their nose to spite their face, or whatever that saying is. By hurting or downsizing NDSU which has an enormous effect on Fargo's viability which I would assume has an effect on FCC viability, could FCC be hurt as well. ESPN coming to Fargo for example gives a boost to "hits" to inforum. I have seen their website at the FargoDome clearly visible during playoff games. When colleges succeed, it reflects well on the entire state of North Dakota.

Or if there more to just this? If it is just a juvenile in-state rivalry between UND and NDSU, that is stupid or if it just to make UND not feel so bad,. Such a backward, sad state North Dakota is. Such insecurity, It is normal to want schools and institutions to succeed, not to cut them off at the knees.

I wish the national media would get ahold of this sick story.

I'm not convinced this is a NDSU/UND issue with FCC actually. I think it is retribution against NDSU because they dared to challenge FCC.

I do agree that I am not sure this is the best decision by FCC. But I think it is driven more by egos and therefore they aren't considering the broader question.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    I dunno. The 'PR incompetence' was decreed by FCC. I have no doubt that they would selectively use or misconstrue quotes to tell the story they want told.

Let's assume he did say it in the context that FCC reported. I don't have enough information to indicate he should be fired. You also stated earlier today that we need to accept Kolpack made mistakes, but we need to forgive. Shouldn't that argument apply to NDSU employees as well? I don't think Kolpack should be fired, BTW. However, his credibility as a journalist is shot as far as I am concerned.
    I by no means think JJ should be fired. I felt he handled the communication of the changes quite poorly. No one is perfect, just like Kolpack. For the record, Kolpack's blunder was worse.

The rub of all of this to me is I've made the same mistake as JJ. I've made the same mistake as Kolpack. I just can't damn any of these people as we are all human. So Kolpack covers the Bison with excellence for how many years, he f's up, apologizes, but he is a horrible journalist for mistake? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I by no means think JJ should be fired. I felt he handled the communication of the changes quite poorly. No one is perfect, just like Kolpack. For the record, Kolpack's blunder was worse.
    Just remember though that you are getting the story from FCC. KFGO said they thought the restrictions were stupid but never commented on the communication method. I believe Fox was silent. I'm hesitant to indict someone based on the "reporting" of a highly biased source.

I don't think the media restrictions were unacceptable. My position had never changed. So why on earth would I think JJ and Larson should be fired?
    I didn't say they should be fired and you totally missed my point.

In my world, if you make a major decision like that and your boss immediately rescinds the decision, it means you screwed the pooch. Career limiting move.

I asked what you thought of their "professionalism". Regardless of whether anybody agrees or disagrees with what they announced, they clearly didn't anticipate the reaction.

That's the definition of poor decision making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post

In my world, if you make a major decision like that and your boss immediately rescinds the decision, it means you screwed the pooch. Career limiting move.

I asked what you thought of their "professionalism". Regardless of whether anybody agrees or disagrees with what they announced, they clearly didn't anticipate the reaction.

You said you would have expected to be scapegoated....so either fired or forced to resign? How did I misinterpret anything.

As far as not anticipating the reaction, quite honestly the reaction seemed to be quite orchestrated by FCC employees. They used all of the platforms available to them to stir the pot. Social media was sickening. Kolpack and McFeeley retweeting everything. McFeeley sending the "story" to every media person in the region and deadspin. And to be clear, he sent their version of events. I followed some tweets from regional guys who quickly back tracked when they got more info from NDSU. So I don't know that I would hold my employees fully accountable for that shitstorm. How are they to anticipate that a company that has a near monopoly of media in the region would abandon all journalistic integrity to wage a war.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1952 View Post
    I don't doubt FCC, SOBE and some legislators want to bring NDSU down a lot of notches but in the case of FCC, could they be cutting off their nose to spite their face, or whatever that saying is. By hurting or downsizing NDSU which has an enormous effect on Fargo's viability which I would assume has an effect on FCC viability, could FCC be hurt as well. ESPN coming to Fargo for example gives a boost to "hits" to inforum. I have seen their website at the FargoDome clearly visible during playoff games. When colleges succeed, it reflects well on the entire state of North Dakota.

Or if there more to just this? If it is just a juvenile in-state rivalry between UND and NDSU, that is stupid or if it just to make UND not feel so bad,. Such a backward, sad state North Dakota is. Such insecurity, It is normal to want schools and institutions to succeed, not to cut them off at the knees.

I wish the national media would get ahold of this sick story.
    Get UND their safe space

Or did he rescind it because of the current political climate he is in?

You said you would have expected to be scapegoated....so either fired or forced to resign? How did I misinterpret anything.

As far as not anticipating the reaction, quite honestly the reaction seemed to be quite orchestrated by FCC employees. They used all of the platforms available to them to stir the pot. Social media was sickening. Kolpack and McFeeley retweeting everything. McFeeley sending the "story" to every media person in the region and deadspin. And to be clear, he sent their version of events. I followed some tweets from regional guys who quickly back tracked when they got more info from NDSU. So I don't know that I would hold my employees fully accountable for that shitstorm. How are they to anticipate that a company that has a near monopoly of media in the region would abandon all journalistic integrity to wage a war.
    Ok. The Athletic Director and the #1 media guy at NDSU didn't understand the media market?

They released their restrictions on a Friday afternoon when Jeff was on vacation. They didn't anticipate he would be upset? Or maybe, they thought it would be missed?

They didn't realize the power of social media?

They were oblivious of the political climate?

Yeah, they are really on top of things.

I find it funny that accountability is so easy to demand in some cases and ignored in others. You're making excuses for things true professionals would have anticipated.

The first thing I thought about the latest KVLY story is those morons dredged up a dead story on the eve of the opener and it does more to embarrass NDSU than FCC. Nice.

Ok. The Athletic Director and the #1 media guy at NDSU didn't understand the media market?

They released their restrictions on a Friday afternoon when Jeff was on vacation. They didn't anticipate he would be upset? Or maybe, they thought it would be missed?

I find it funny that accountability is so easy to demand in some cases and ignored in others. You're making excuses for things true professionals would have anticipated.

The first thing I thought about the latest KVLY story is those morons dredged up a dead story on the eve of the opener and it does more to embarrass NDSU than FCC. Nice.

You seem unable to comprehend what I am saying. As I have made it crystal clear in many posts, I will assume you are deliberately misunderstanding. I'm not wasting my time with someone who just wants to argue for the sake of arguing.

Northern. We get it, you're a und fan. U prove it every post
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?