Page 7 of 64 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: The right time

Default Re: The right time

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    There isn't enough money to be of interest for a P5 invite and there never will be. Our endowment is tiny even compared to UND. P5 schools tend to have endowments of a Billion plus.

Add in size of fan base and alumni plus the TV viewer potential and we're not even in the conversation.

It's nice to be positive but reality tends to be a heartless bitch.

northern Bison name change to northern f'hawk please.

TV viewership would be fine, we got a HUGE share of actual eyeballs, not potential like vegas, denver
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Answer Guy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Don't know if I would use the term tiny in comparison to UND's

I've heard that exact term about Bison fans. Tiny.
    Teh Interwebs – a place you can say stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Some just like to stick their nose where it don't belong. Got read some other threads if this offends you so much. Who appointed you and others here ruler of board topics?
    Since you are always spouting off about nazis and ruler of the board blah blah blah and the right to your opinion you now say some like to stick their noses where they dont belong? Who made you the board nazi moderator?

We are just voicing our opinion on the subject. You on the other hand cant seem to do that as you like to comment on the poster with name calling while not rebutting the content of the posts.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

There isn't enough money to be of interest for a P5 invite and there never will be. Our endowment is tiny even compared to UND. P5 schools tend to have endowments of a Billion plus.

Add in size of fan base and alumni plus the TV viewer potential and we're not even in the conversation.

It's nice to be positive but reality tends to be a heartless bitch.
    Reality and common sense doesnt grow in every ones garden.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I am a bit of a contrarian I guess, but I think moving after winning a championship is the worst possible time to make a move decision. In my opinion you need to have some "down" years (whatever that means) to see the impact on fan support. It's easy to count the stacks of cash and fill the dome when we are winning titles. Who sticks with the team when the season doesn't end in Frisco.
    It's five in a row, not one.

As currently structured, the likelihood of any 'down' years in FCS is minimal. The D2 'down' years had many 8-3 and 9-2 seasons that ended up getting shut out of the playoffs or forced to go on the road. When, not if, the FCS teams change the rules (complete regionalization, reduced scholarships, etc..) is when it will be possible to have 'down' years.

The depth of quality football programs in FCS is lacking and getting worse with more and more of the top programs moving up. NDSU needs to be looking to move up, but so should several other schools that are serious about their football programs.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHawkAlumni View Post
    So i know i may be flamed for saying this, but with all of this positive momentum NDSU has seen the last 5 years, what better time than now to push the move to the FBS. I know all about conference invites, endowment numbers,stadium size, etc... When is the right time? It is highly likely the pump will never again be primed the way it is now.
    If moving up is a reality then the right time would be when the G5 realigns itself. The P5 has some autonomy now but when we see the final direction it takes the G5 will be able to do what it needs for survival. For NDSU to make a move now if one becomes available and have to make another change down the road when it all shakes out could be very costly. This wont happen over night so patience is the key to let it all play out and pick your spot and do it right the first time. I see more clarity in 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    The reality is that there really is only one way to "move up," and that's to a P5 conference. Moving to a G5 conference does nothing for NDSU as they might get less exposure for not being able contend for a Championships (which might also inadvertently result in getting less quality athletes since the Bison are getting a lot of talented guys who want a title). They also will not be playing better competition as the G5 isn't any better than most of the teams in the MVFC.

The chances of getting to a P5 conference is pretty much impossible as the move doesn't really have to do with the talent our football team has, but rather due to such items as the size of our fan base, size of stadium, size of our enrollment and our diminutive endowment compared to the schools in the P5 conferences. Our team might not be "small-time," but our school still is and that's why were FCS.
    I tend to agree except for the talent pool. If you add 22 more scholarships, your going to find more talent.

But as far as exposure goes, as long as we are at the top of our division and winning, we will get some over the top coverage equal to or better than G5 conferences, unless you want Tuesday night games.

Having College Gameday, ESPN kickoff games, and 2-3 espn playoff games televised on espn is right up there or better than many G5 teams.

We will never ever get into a power 5 conference and if we do, it will be 20 years from now and we would need prolonged success, not only in football but in basketball. We have to continue to build our brand to where casual fans know us and want to watch us play. (Starting to see with solid tv ratings )

We will just have to wait and see if the 2 divisions merge which would be awesome.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by BraxtonT View Post
    It's five in a row, not one.

As currently structured, the likelihood of any 'down' years in FCS is minimal. The D2 'down' years had many 8-3 and 9-2 seasons that ended up getting shut out of the playoffs or forced to go on the road. When, not if, the FCS teams change the rules (complete regionalization, reduced scholarships, etc..) is when it will be possible to have 'down' years.

The depth of quality football programs in FCS is lacking and getting worse with more and more of the top programs moving up. NDSU needs to be looking to move up, but so should several other schools that are serious about their football programs.
    You can bet that the every AD is closely monitoring the current and future landscape.

I really don't think the P5 conferences are in any hurry to shake things up.

They could, eventually, increase the playoff to 8 teams (I really don't see them going to 16). Big deal. That would allow them to let the occasional G5 slip in if they skate through whatever rules gauntlet allows it. That, alone, will keep yet G5 looking on like kids in a candy store.

If that happens, some Bowl games will go away but there will be enough left to keep people happy.

With a few little tweaks it could stay like this for decades.

A big shake up by the P5 is just too risky in terms of public opinion and possible political interference.

That's a big problem for NDSU. Why? Because I don't see a shake up AND I think FCS rules are going to change to "level the playing field". Not a great place to be if I'm right about the future.

I really don't think the P5 conferences are in any hurry to shake things up.

They could, eventually, increase the playoff to 8 teams (I really don't see them going to 16). Big deal. That would allow them to let the occasional G5 slip in if they skate through whatever rules gauntlet allows it. That, alone, will keep yet G5 looking on like kids in a candy store.

If that happens, some Bowl games will go away but there will be enough left to keep people happy.

With a few little tweaks it could stay like this for decades.

A big shake up by the P5 is just too risky in terms of public opinion and possible political interference.

That's a big problem for NDSU. Why? Because I don't see a shake up AND I think FCS rules are going to change to "level the playing field". Not a great place to be if I'm right about the future.
    The P5 want their autonomy but for football only. They arent going to give up the NCAA basketball $$$$$$$$$$$$$. But theyve already broken away in some respects so I agree there wont be anything big coming from them.