Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: The right time

Default Re: The right time

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Can we shut this thread down now? There is already an endless thread talking about fbs. Why are people so ignorent about the issue. NDSU could win 20 straight fcs titles, have a player drafted in the first round of the NFL for 20 straight years, host gameday every year for 20 straight years; and it STILL doesnt matter as far as the fbs landscape is concerned. Fbs conferences invite schools for one reason, can this school make us money. I dont see any fbs team giving ndsu an invite in the current state of college football.
    NO you can't shut this thread down. GO read some other thread if it bothers you so much. So glad you are not in our government........but then maybe you are?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    And I'd bet that the people that aren't writing checks now won't contribute later, even if we did move up. They'd find some excuse not to give. If you won't give now as a Bison fan, you won't give a large amount later.
    So what's the point of saying "write a check" to someone who doesn't donate now? You basically say that they won't contribute in the future. It's just an attempt to shut them out of the conversation, and I don't agree with it.

Large donors and TeamMakers will bear the majority of the financial burden if a move occurs. That's a fact we have to get used to. That is a number I would be interested in knowing. How much would I need to increase my donation? I have no clue.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Of course, mr know it all, Nazi, communist, thought police shut this thread down. Last I checked this is a free country and this is somewhat a free speech message board. So you don't think 8 championships in a row, let alone 10 would get old?
    I am a bit of a contrarian I guess, but I think moving after winning a championship is the worst possible time to make a move decision. In my opinion you need to have some "down" years (whatever that means) to see the impact on fan support. It's easy to count the stacks of cash and fill the dome when we are winning titles. Who sticks with the team when the season doesn't end in Frisco.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I am a bit of a contrarian I guess, but I think moving after winning a championship is the worst possible time to make a move decision. In my opinion you need to have some "down" years (whatever that means) to see the impact on fan support. It's easy to count the stacks of cash and fill the dome when we are winning titles. Who sticks with the team when the season doesn't end in Frisco.
    With the back in 1800's approach of the state of North Dakota, Fargo and NDSU I don't think a move to FBS would happen until at least 5 years from now even if serious talk started today. Also, I am not too worried about fan support and NDSU's ability to make the playoffs every year. The strength of the program, all the publicity and top notch coaches and recruits will keep the momentum going for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    I completely agree with you. Write a check people. If the check is big enough it will get done. Just be prepared to continue writing that check every year though.
    This shit irks me....trying to shut down others opinions and thoughts. The when, how and what of going FBS is a legit discussion rather you or others like it or not. If you do not like the idea do not participate in the thread. You add nothing by demanding the thread being locked or demanding a check.
    Last edited by MAKBison; 03-27-2016 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post

No wonder Tony is giving this board up... it's broken... a broken record. Go read all the other FBS threads. If NDSU was in the driver's seat on this I believe there would be and could be movement. They're not, they need a conference to invite them. And the naysayers say well you need to sell it... Um I can "sell" myself to Kate Upton she still aint going to date me. I have no doubt NDSU has "sold" it as much as they can without looking like a stalker. Right now we're selling it on ESPN, NFL Network, and whoever else wants to pay attention to what we're doing up here.

/thread PERIOD DOT FINE
    Well said. Some just like to beat a dead horse.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Well said. Some just like to beat a dead horse.
    Some just like to stick their nose where it don't belong. Got read some other threads if this offends you so much. Who appointed you and others here ruler of board topics?

SD, once again, hitting it out of the park on this issue

There isn't enough money to be of interest for a P5 invite and there never will be. Our endowment is tiny even compared to UND. P5 schools tend to have endowments of a Billion plus.

Add in size of fan base and alumni plus the TV viewer potential and we're not even in the conversation.

It's nice to be positive but reality tends to be a heartless bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    There isn't enough money to be of interest for a P5 invite and there never will be. Our endowment is tiny even compared to UND. P5 schools tend to have endowments of a Billion plus.

Add in size of fan base and alumni plus the TV viewer potential and we're not even in the conversation.

It's nice to be positive but reality tends to be a heartless bitch.
    Don't know if I would use the term tiny in comparison to UND's but it is a little more than half of theirs.

NDSU DF: $139M in investments, $248M in total assets, and $219M in net assets. (2014 990)
    UND DF: $267M in investments, $340M in total assets, and $279M in net assets. (2015 990)

(People who work with 990s: if I'm interpreting them wrong, let us know.)

(And, no, I don't know enough about these things to know why the UND DF has $61M in liabilities compared to the NDSU DF's $29M.)