Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 640

Thread: The right time

  1. #551
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    24,782
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: The right time

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    NDSU for TV has a market at 115 and moving up, expected to be 90 in 5 years with population growth.

    Also, NDSU has a bigger share in the actual state/western minnesota than over 75% of FBS teams, that is a fact
    Yep. Fargo is the fastest growing medium sized city in the nation and our TV market is basically the entire state of North Dakota western MN. You really need to combine Fargo, Bismarck, Williston, and Minot for an accurate TV market size number.

    That's not true for some so called larger market teams who not only aren't the big dog in their entire state, but sometimes not even #1 in their own market. Ask anyone if Omaha has any TV advantage over Lincoln. It's laughable.

    16X FOOTBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! Since 1960, NDSU has more Football Championships than any team in the NFL , D1A, D1AA, D2 or D3
    1965-1968-1969-1983-1985-1986-1988-1990-2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2017-2018-2019

  2. #552
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bismarck
    Posts
    4,561

    Default Re: The right time

    Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Yep. Fargo is the fastest growing medium sized city in the nation and our TV market is basically the entire state of North Dakota western MN. You really need to combine Fargo, Bismarck, Williston, and Minot for an accurate TV market size number.

    That's not true for some so called larger market teams who not only aren't the big dog in their entire state, but sometimes not even #1 in their own market. Ask anyone if Omaha has any TV advantage over Lincoln. It's laughable.
    If those were all combined, where would the equivalent market rank?
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

  3. #553
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fifty Lakes, MN
    Posts
    28,802

    Default Re: The right time

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    NDSU for TV has a market at 115 and moving up, expected to be 90 in 5 years with population growth.

    Also, NDSU has a bigger share in the actual state/western minnesota than over 75% of FBS teams, that is a fact
    Doesnt seem conferences are too impressed with that fact. What else ya got?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

    When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

  4. #554
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Fargo
    Posts
    6,930

    Default Re: The right time

    Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Doesnt seem conferences are too impressed with that fact. What else ya got?
    I don't think they are now, but maybe some day. There could come a point where it could be attractive given it is completely virgin territory. Maybe we will be the next frontier in the future. The question would be how far into the future.

    Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

  5. #555
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Moorhead
    Posts
    12,991

    Default Re: The right time

    Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I don't think they are now, but maybe some day. There could come a point where it could be attractive given it is completely virgin territory. Maybe we will be the next frontier in the future. The question would be how far into the future.

    Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    To a certain extent, I think we already are for ESPN. What is their motive? Sure, it's a great story, but it's more than a story now...
    check neg rep

    Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

  6. #556
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: The right time

    If the Big XII has their own network getting schools like NDSU and SDSU could get cake companies in Minneapolis to pick them up. We already get Pac12 and SEC Networks in Indy but you normally have to get the sports tiers out a premium package to get them so it may not be a big pull. I seriously doubt the Big XII would consider NDSU in its current makeup though.

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

  7. #557
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,616

    Default Re: The right time

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    NDSU for TV has a market at 115 and moving up, expected to be 90 in 5 years with population growth.

    Also, NDSU has a bigger share in the actual state/western minnesota than over 75% of FBS teams, that is a fact
    Also to be considered: NDSU is a flagship state school. The entire state is its market
    Last edited by reformedUNDfan; 05-14-2016 at 05:10 PM.

  8. #558
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Fargo
    Posts
    6,930

    Default Re: The right time

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    If the Big XII has their own network getting schools like NDSU and SDSU could get cake companies in Minneapolis to pick them up. We already get Pac12 and SEC Networks in Indy but you normally have to get the sports tiers out a premium package to get them so it may not be a big pull. I seriously doubt the Big XII would consider NDSU in its current makeup though.

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    While I agree NDSU probably doesn't fit anyone's TV marketing plan right now at that level, it could in the future and it isn't about drawing viewers in Indy to a Bison game. These conference networks are about pulling viewers from the markets of the schools in high volumes without regard to the rest of the nation. Anything else would just be icing. This gives the networks a highly focused demographic to sell to advertisers. These are pinpoint figures giving advertisers the ability to target a specific audience at a specific time and it sets the value of the advertising time slots. This is why the TV contracts and conference networks have become such a lucrative business for both the schools and the networks. The number one number that matters to the schools is how many viewers can a new school bring to the table. The numbers in that data set which matters most would be the draw in the local markets. Sure ESPN's flagship network cares about national ratings when they are airing programming, but the conference networks which is where the huge contracts are at, are concerned about drilling down to the specific markets and what they bring. I don't know the numbers for Bison football or basketball on a regional basis during the regular season. If a conference was seeing those numbers being at a certain point without the additional benefit of the opponent, I am sure there would be more activity, regardless of any market size potential due to growth. The only guarantee people are tuning in to the games is when people are tuning in to the games.

    I am sure there are factors that can be drawn into the equation where if NDSU were in a certain conference there should be X amount of increase brought in based on historical analysis of other institutions. Even having larger facilities to be attractive to some conferences isn't about revenue but rather about atmosphere and appearance. Even at the P5 level, there are only a handful of institutions where there is a concern about national following. So the bottom line is the SEC network, for example, is hardly even bringing up the numbers of viewers outside of their footprint because they are maximizing advertising by saying the regional pinpoint focus is a premium. I don't want to seem like I am over-emphasizing targeted ad revenue because at the end of the day, it is still only 25% of their total package, but it is 25% that has much fluidity to it then subscribers. Also, with cable and satellite subscriptions, you either have the network or you don't, it isn't like it matters if you tune in to anyone because it is already paid for.

    I don't know what the end numbers should look like to draw interest from P5 conferences. NDSU consistently nailing 300k in its viewing area watching games on Saturdays? That would probably draw interest. Of course it would be relative to other markets so NDSU viewership would have to grow at a faster rate than any potential other schools vying for the same position. The reality is you are right we don't fit any short term attractiveness and unless we start growing faster and those people we gain instantly become Bison fans, it might take a long time. Of course, ESPN is a kingmaker and if they keep pushing attention our way, NDSU could become one of those handful of schools where traditional logic doesn't apply.

  9. #559
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Parkers Prairie, MN
    Posts
    1,209

    Default Re: The right time

    Let's start with getting a few more seats in the FFD, or look at other options, worry about moving up later. Position ourselves in terms of physical infrastructure, and then the rest will fall into place when the time is right.

  10. #560
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Royalton, MN
    Posts
    1,687

    Default The right time

    https://twitter.com/cbssportscfb/sta...48707480338432

    Syracuse spending $105 mill to replace carrier domes roof.

    Favorite comment where there is a argument about obscene costs of stadium and college tuition.

    Brian Howden
    from Facebook10 hours ago

    "Pretty sure the money the football program generates will more then pay for a stadium upgrade."

    Then again- no idea how their tv/conference revenue share works.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •