Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All Access

Default All Access

Could somebody explain to me how this works? Does NDSU contract it? I'm so pissed.

BRING BACK SNORTY

Default Re: All Access

I believe they have been hearing it from alot of us. Hopefully it gets cleaned up in a hurry.
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!

Quote Originally Posted by onbison09 View Post
    Could somebody explain to me how this works? Does NDSU contract it? I'm so pissed.
    I guess you could say it's a three-step process.

1. NDSU takes the video and audio feeds from the Fargodome and WDAY and compresses and synchronizes them.

2. NDSU then takes the finished webstream and sends it to XOS.

3. XOS then distributes it to the subscribers.

So, what went wrong tonight? I read the game thread, and I think I saw at least three seperate problems. First, the failure when some were getting the game and others weren't seems to be the fault of XOS during step 3. The failure when everybody lost audio looks like it can be laid at the feet of NDSU during step 1. The total loss of feed at the end of the game can probably also be laid at the feet of NDSU. NDSU tells XOS how long a block of time they need. Since the feed cut out at exactly 9:30, I bet NDSU scheduled a block of time from 5:55-9:30, thinking that would be enough. It wasn't. At 9:30, the XOS servers automatically shut off the feed believing the game was over by then. Hey, no one ever said computers were smart. The same thing happened to the SDSU/WIU game. WIU scheduled a 4 hour block of time, but no one expected a 4OT marathon.

How can all this be fixed? First, NDSU needs to start scheduling 4 or 4.5 hour blocks of time so we don't lose the end of games. Second, whatever happened to the audio needs to be figured out and corrected. Was it WDAY's fault(the NDSU computers never got the audio) or NDSU's(they got the audio but choked on it)? Lastly, whatever went wrong with the distribution network needs to be fixed. XOS has added quite a few schools over the past year(and there were several big games - USC/Neb etc), it's possible they got overloaded. Those of you affected need to email XOS and put some pressure on them. NDSU also needs some pressure to fix their part in this.

This doesn't fix that I (and many others) didn't get to see the last minute of the game as it happened, but all access already has the game available in the archives. I just watched Heck's catch at the end for the first time...unreal. My only complaint about the all access pass is if we're paying for it, it should work. I know that the whole thing is a luxury, but if they don't have the resources or capabilities to support the paying customers, why aren't they charging more so that they can get the capabilities? Hard for me to understand...

Thinking about getting all access for the CMU game AND putting it on my tv as opposed to my computer monitor.

How good is the video???
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    Thinking about getting all access for the CMU game AND putting it on my tv as opposed to my computer monitor.

How good is the video???
    You certainly won't mistake it for a regular TV broadcast; generally, you're lucky if you can make out the football. That said, it's better than no video at all. If I were you, I'd hook up your computer to your TV and use the free(for now) archive of the SHSU game to test it out. A wireless keyboard and mouse really completes the setup so you can quickly switch between the game and Bisonville if you like what you see.

How good is the video???
    thanks for asking i was wondering the same thing. Just tried out the SHSU game on the HDTV sure looked grainy but your right something is better than nothing?
    "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

thanks.....
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonips View Post
    This doesn't fix that I (and many others) didn't get to see the last minute of the game as it happened, but all access already has the game available in the archives. I just watched Heck's catch at the end for the first time...unreal. My only complaint about the all access pass is if we're paying for it, it should work. I know that the whole thing is a luxury, but if they don't have the resources or capabilities to support the paying customers, why aren't they charging more so that they can get the capabilities? Hard for me to understand...
    They aren't charging more because it isn't reliable, and they know that it isn't perfect. It's cheap...$8/month....less than one game ticket.

How good is the video???
    Is the CMU game available? Usually it's just for home games unless the other school also has XOS and shares it with NDSU.