Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: UND Hockey to B10

Default Re: Notre Dame Hockey to B10

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Umm yeah ok
    If making money is your decision maker men's hockey would not be a niche sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with that.

I think niche sports are better defined by how many schools participate, how they are spread out, and where they tend to fit into the rest of NCAA athletics.

Hockey has 60 programs that are fairly spread out but many of them are DII and even DIII schools in other sports. At best, it meets one of my tests. And that is arguable.

I didn't take time to look it up but crew is probably a niche.

Maybe Lacrosse although it has possibly grown lately.

It's niche... Maybe 1% crew in the USA. That's niche. Period.

To make final four of 59teams = meh when they are ferris st quinniac RIT...and other d3 schools
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I hope you realize I was pointing out their way of thinking and that I don't share that opinion.

One look at the teams in the college hockey brackets is all you need to know about how much of a niche sport it is.
    What is Quinnipiac? Is it a federal prison in Quebec?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by DIBISON View Post
    Yes, F'n hawks and others play at the highest level of college hockey but that doesn't mean it is the highest level of DI athletics. As you state it always doen't mean that there is fan support or interest in the highest level of a DI sport.

How may states would have college hockey as their #1 sport? Maybe Vermont? It sure wouldn't be ND with Bison football or Minnesota with Gophers football or basketball even though they are terrible. What about attendance, give credit to the F'n hawks leading the nation at 11,000+ a game but that pales in comparison even to FCS football. College hockey regional championships average anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000+. The Frozen Four TV ratings are terrible, heck the Bison FCS football 2014 quarterfinal game outdrew all 3 Frozen Four games. Don't forget that there are over 350 DI athletic programs and less than 10% of those programs have college hockey.

The more the facts are considered, yes UND is at the highest level of college hockey, but nationally nobody cares about college hockey as it is a regional college sport.

Bottom line, very few care or follow.
    To be fair, can't rip on UND for attendance and say it doesn't compare to FCS football... Quite frankly, football stadiums are bigger than hockey ones. Even NHL/NBA arenas are what, 20k at most?
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I agree with that.

I think niche sports are better defined by how many schools participate, how they are spread out, and where they tend to fit into the rest of NCAA athletics.

Hockey has 60 programs that are fairly spread out but many of them are DII and even DIII schools in other sports. At best, it meets one of my tests. And that is arguable.

I didn't take time to look it up but crew is probably a niche.

Maybe Lacrosse although it has possibly grown lately.
    There are more DI women's rowing teams (88) than men's hockey teams (60). There are also more men's lacrosse teams (68) and women's field hockey 79. I would consider them all niche sports.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    There are more DI women's rowing teams (88) than men's hockey teams (60). There are also more men's lacrosse teams (68) and women's field hockey 79. I would consider them all niche sports.
    The Winklevoss twins disagree with your opinion on rowing.
    College of Business Alumnus

April Fool's thread title change.

LOL - I pretty much ignore any thread with "hockey" in the title. Didn't even notice the change.

533 In a row