Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Approved Rule Changes

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Approved Rule Changes

Here are the approved rule changes for this Fall. Some of these will get wordsmithed until Rogers Redding publishes them. Plus he has the authority to add "editorial" changes that can sometimes be impactful.

http://www.refstripes.com/forum/inde....0;attach=1120

Summary of key changes:
    3. Coaches may now use video images in the press box and locker room during the game. I'm surprised they didn't go further and allow them on the sideline as well. NFHS have allowed that for a couple years.

4. This is a clarification of when numbering exceptions can be used. In most instances a team needs to have 5 players numbered 50-79 on the line of scrimmage, but exceptions are allowed in scrimmage kick situations. This provides more definition on when a scrimmage kick formation is applicable.

5. Making the sliding ball carrier (generally a QB) a defenseless player for the purpose of the targeting rule. Pretty self explanatory.

7. Clock changes in the last 2 minutes of a half. This is the one I expect to get some tweaking and more clarification between now and the beginning of the season. The general idea though is a team shouldn't get a clock advantage by fouling. Previously the referee could chose to start the game clock on the snap if the offense was guilty of a false start late in the half. This provides even more rule support to do that. But it also could apply to a live ball foul like a hold. Let's say a team with the lead has a 3rd and 2 and is guilty of holding on a 5-yard gain. The defense will accept the penalty so the offense doesn't get the first down, but the offense can now burn another 25 seconds on replay of third down. With the rule change, the game clock will not start until the snap. There is some question about the use of the words "game clock is stopped only to administer the penalty." In my example, the clock was also stopped to award a new series. There is some confusion if this new rule will apply in that case.

8. Tripping the ball carrier is now illegal as well. It was illegal to trip any other player, and I guess the rules committee felt it was no less dangerous to trip the runner. This is not very common so i don't see it as a major issue.

9. Another clarification on the blocking below the waist rule. The short explanation is the rules committee has limited it a little more, but this is not a major change. The biggest impact is a low block by a TE will need to be from the front (think 10-2 on the clock). Previously a low side block was legal by TEs.

10. This is a clarification change on the new rule from a couple years ago. There aren't many of these fouls anyway so I don't see this as a major change.

11. Bison fans may enjoy this because this rule change may have come about due to a Bison game! Some are calling this the Bo Pelini rule. While both unsportsmanlike fouls on YSU weren't against him, both could have been. It is very rare for a coach to get this foul so I don't expect to see many coaches get ejected. But it was unusual for a player to be ejected for two unsportsmanlike fouls, but not the coach for the same thing.

13. This may be one of the biggest changes as it's allowing replay to create a foul. Targeting is still a major issue and the rules committee wants to make sure the offenders are dealt with immediately if somehow the on field officials didn't feel the hit was enough to flag it.

Default Re: Approved Rule Changes

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Here are the approved rule changes for this Fall. Some of these will get wordsmithed until Rogers Redding publishes them. Plus he has the authority to add "editorial" changes that can sometimes be impactful.

http://www.refstripes.com/forum/inde....0;attach=1120

Summary of key changes:
    3. Coaches may now use video images in the press box and locker room during the game. I'm surprised they didn't go further and allow them on the sideline as well. NFHS have allowed that for a couple years.

4. This is a clarification of when numbering exceptions can be used. In most instances a team needs to have 5 players numbered 50-79 on the line of scrimmage, but exceptions are allowed in scrimmage kick situations. This provides more definition on when a scrimmage kick formation is applicable.

5. Making the sliding ball carrier (generally a QB) a defenseless player for the purpose of the targeting rule. Pretty self explanatory.

7. Clock changes in the last 2 minutes of a half. This is the one I expect to get some tweaking and more clarification between now and the beginning of the season. The general idea though is a team shouldn't get a clock advantage by fouling. Previously the referee could chose to start the game clock on the snap if the offense was guilty of a false start late in the half. This provides even more rule support to do that. But it also could apply to a live ball foul like a hold. Let's say a team with the lead has a 3rd and 2 and is guilty of holding on a 5-yard gain. The defense will accept the penalty so the offense doesn't get the first down, but the offense can now burn another 25 seconds on replay of third down. With the rule change, the game clock will not start until the snap. There is some question about the use of the words "game clock is stopped only to administer the penalty." In my example, the clock was also stopped to award a new series. There is some confusion if this new rule will apply in that case.

8. Tripping the ball carrier is now illegal as well. It was illegal to trip any other player, and I guess the rules committee felt it was no less dangerous to trip the runner. This is not very common so i don't see it as a major issue.

9. Another clarification on the blocking below the waist rule. The short explanation is the rules committee has limited it a little more, but this is not a major change. The biggest impact is a low block by a TE will need to be from the front (think 10-2 on the clock). Previously a low side block was legal by TEs.

10. This is a clarification change on the new rule from a couple years ago. There aren't many of these fouls anyway so I don't see this as a major change.

11. Bison fans may enjoy this because this rule change may have come about due to a Bison game! Some are calling this the Bo Pelini rule. While both unsportsmanlike fouls on YSU weren't against him, both could have been. It is very rare for a coach to get this foul so I don't expect to see many coaches get ejected. But it was unusual for a player to be ejected for two unsportsmanlike fouls, but not the coach for the same thing.

13. This may be one of the biggest changes as it's allowing replay to create a foul. Targeting is still a major issue and the rules committee wants to make sure the offenders are dealt with immediately if somehow the on field officials didn't feel the hit was enough to flag it.
    More detail on #11 please.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    More detail on #11 please.
    I think #11 is saying the coach can now be ejected for two unsportsmanlike fouls just like a player can.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Still don't like allowing the replay officials to stop the game and add penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    I think #11 is saying the coach can now be ejected for two unsportsmanlike fouls just like a player can.
    Correct. Previously a coach could have repeated unsportsmanlike conduct fouls and not be automatically ejected. Officials had the ability to eject for a single unsportsmanlike, but that would have to be significant.

Correct. Previously a coach could have repeated unsportsmanlike conduct fouls and not be automatically ejected. Officials had the ability to eject for a single unsportsmanlike, but that would have to be significant.
    So, after two it is an "auto" ejection? Is that the way it is for players?

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    So, after two it is an "auto" ejection? Is that the way it is for players?
    Yes. Neither will be very common. I've never seen it.

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yes. Neither will be very common. I've never seen it.
    Sounds like a challenge to me.
    Looking good Billy Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    Sounds like a challenge to me.
    Bo is coming to the Fargodome this year

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Bo is coming to the Fargodome this year
    Everyone get your phantom whistles ready.
    Looking good Billy Ray!