Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota State Basketball

gotts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Minnesota State Basketball

I've been out of Minnesota for close to 10 years now, but how are the sections even drawn up anymore? Osseo and Maple Grove are literally like 3.5 miles apart, in the same school district, same conference (NWSC) and they both made the state tourney?
    Golden Rules of Bisonville:
    Being self-aware is knowing your head is firmly planted up your ass
    Never let facts get in the way of a good argument

Surefire Successful Bisonville Conversation Starters: Move to FBS, Scream Yellow, Zipper Merge, Pickleball Championships, Transfer Portal, The Rainforest, Fire Vigen Save Season, Fargodome Expansion, Toxic Locker Rooms, Marlboro Matt, Veer Offense, Whale of a Game, Rainin' Bitches, Frisco Cruiser Bus, BYU Fan Voting, Frisco is biased towards NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by gotts View Post
    I've been out of Minnesota for close to 10 years now, but how are the sections even drawn up anymore? Osseo and Maple Grove are literally like 3.5 miles apart, in the same school district, same conference (NWSC) and they both made the state tourney?
    mshsl conspiracy---kind of surprised champlin park wasnt put in blaine's section so they could have all the d1 talent in the state tourney...

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

this thread is good and all... but its not NDSU men's basketball

gotts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshower View Post
    mshsl conspiracy---kind of surprised champlin park wasnt put in blaine's section so they could have all the d1 talent in the state tourney...
    I think after the '03 tournament redistricting moved Minneapolis Patrick Henry up to 4A and section 5 had Osseo, Hopkins, Minneapolis North, Minneapolis Patrick Henry among others, but that could be wrong. I remember a stacked section that had 2 state champions from the previous year.
    Golden Rules of Bisonville:
    Being self-aware is knowing your head is firmly planted up your ass
    Never let facts get in the way of a good argument

Surefire Successful Bisonville Conversation Starters: Move to FBS, Scream Yellow, Zipper Merge, Pickleball Championships, Transfer Portal, The Rainforest, Fire Vigen Save Season, Fargodome Expansion, Toxic Locker Rooms, Marlboro Matt, Veer Offense, Whale of a Game, Rainin' Bitches, Frisco Cruiser Bus, BYU Fan Voting, Frisco is biased towards NDSU

I wonder if the staff is looking at Ade Murkey from West St Paul. Kid is super athletic. To my knowledge he is still undecided.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshower View Post
    they nearly closed the school in 2010
    so did they redefine their district or something?

Top 64 schools by enrollment are in AAAA. Next 64 are in AAA. I can't remember where the cutoff is for AA and A. Every two years the enrollment numbers are re-evaluated and section lines are redrawn. When sections are drawn up there is no weight given to the competitiveness of the sections. It's nearly all about geography. With the metro schools all being so close together you sometimes get situations like Osseo/Maple Grove being in different sections. It's all about where the other 7 teams in the section come from, not just how close together those two are.

There has been talk in MN about going to a 64 team tourney for the largest schools with seeding like the NCAA does. With nearly all the large schools being in the metro it could easily work.

One more thing to add to my previous post. When calculating the enrollment numbers, adjustments are made for the number of kids in the free-and-reduced lunch program. The MSHSL won't come out and say it in so many words but the premise is that kids that come from low income families are less likely to be involved in extra curricular activities so it lowers the number of kids available to go out for a team. If you read between the lines it's a way to try and have the private schools in a higher class than public schools with a similar number of kids.
    Last edited by Powder; 03-13-2016 at 05:56 PM.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This was brought up earlier in the thread, but does anyone know how North can keep their enrollment so low? They're just crushing at A.

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    This was brought up earlier in the thread, but does anyone know how North can keep their enrollment so low? They're just crushing at A.
    yea what a joke
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?