Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: A new attack dog on Bresciani

Default Re: A new attack dog on Bresciani

Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    I have no idea where to post this, but I haven't seen it anywhere on here..

http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2016/0...s-done-at-und/
    It appears Schafer has anointed himself the savior of Higher Education in ND--. Maybe he can have a new career travelling from campus to campus cutting baseball and golf. It is especially laughable that he thinks NDSU is playing a shell game with the budget. No way any F'Hawk would ever consider doing that.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Schafer seems to have pissed off a lot or R's with his gubernatorial endorsement. If he really wants what McFeeley thinks he wants I'm not sure how he's going to get it if no one in Bismarck and no one in Fargo wants him.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Schafer has been a good fit for UND as they needed quick, big cuts.

I think he and everyone else who question NDSU's reporting should call for an audit or can it.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    Schafer has been a good fit for UND as they needed quick, big cuts.

I think he and everyone else who question NDSU's reporting should call for an audit or can it.
    That's the key difference between UND's and NDSU's situation. UND had to make permanent decisions quickly, NDSU has the time to make permanent decisions slowly. I don't understand what's so hard for Schafer, the GFH, or other UND supporters to figure out. UND had just made about $5M in one-time cuts before Schafer got there. When Schafer was handed another $10M-14M in cuts, he had no choice but to make permanent cuts. If UND was able to make $5M in one-time cuts, was it really that hard for him to understand that NDSU could make $6.4M in one-time cuts while beginning plans to make permanent cuts later? Or does he just want the job bad enough that he's lying/distorting the truth?

And the Dunbar Hall kerfuffle is humorous and frustrating. NDSU went to the legislature last biennium to get it replaced and the leg. said okay if tax returns had come in higher than expected. Obviously that didn't happen. So what's really the problem with keeping it on the minds of the Board and legislature. I'm pretty sure NDSU doesn't expect to get it this time, but they're setting things up for next time or the time after that. Besides, the Dunbar replacement couldn't happen until the STEM building was finished anyway; that's why NDSU didn't start asking for it until last time.

I also suspect the Dunbar proposal might be an attempt to get the Sudro Hall expansion to look more palatable. NDSU got no state money for buildings in the last biennium. If NDSU can show how bad Dunbar is, the Board/governor/legislature might allow the lessor project(Sudro) to go forward as a compromise. And, honestly, I think the Sudro project might be more important to the university than the Dunbar project.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    That's the key difference between UND's and NDSU's situation. UND had to make permanent decisions quickly, NDSU has the time to make permanent decisions slowly. I don't understand what's so hard for Schafer, the GFH, or other UND supporters to figure out. UND had just made about $5M in one-time cuts before Schafer got there. When Schafer was handed another $10M-14M in cuts, he had no choice but to make permanent cuts. If UND was able to make $5M in one-time cuts, was it really that hard for him to understand that NDSU could make $6.4M in one-time cuts while beginning plans to make permanent cuts later? Or does he just want the job bad enough that he's lying/distorting the truth?

And the Dunbar Hall kerfuffle is humorous and frustrating. NDSU went to the legislature last biennium to get it replaced and the leg. said okay if tax returns had come in higher than expected. Obviously that didn't happen. So what's really the problem with keeping it on the minds of the Board and legislature. I'm pretty sure NDSU doesn't expect to get it this time, but they're setting things up for next time or the time after that. Besides, the Dunbar replacement couldn't happen until the STEM building was finished anyway; that's why NDSU didn't start asking for it until last time.

I also suspect the Dunbar proposal might be an attempt to get the Sudro Hall expansion to look more palatable. NDSU got no state money for buildings in the last biennium. If NDSU can show how bad Dunbar is, the Board/governor/legislature might allow the lessor project(Sudro) to go forward as a compromise. And, honestly, I think the Sudro project might be more important to the university than the Dunbar project.
    They aren't tying to figure it out. They already know what the answer is. It rests squarely in the center of the intersection of two ideologies: UND good, NDSU bad and spending cuts good, taxes bad.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Shafer is the consultant who gets paid to lay off people while collecting a big fee like those guys in the Office Space movie. He doesn't have to worry about what people think when he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    I have no idea where to post this, but I haven't seen it anywhere on here..

http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2016/0...s-done-at-und/
    It's OK to not be OK.

Last edited by JMB; 06-24-2016 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Fixed Linky
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

perthbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Just tell us what the heavy one is babbling so we don't enhance his site with hits

Quote Originally Posted by perthbison View Post
    Just tell us what the heavy one is babbling so we don't enhance his site with hits
    There's a SBHE meeting coming up and one of the things being discussed is contract extensions for about half the presidents(some are new(UND), interim, or just had extensions recently). Most extensions will be rubber stamped, but Port claims to be hearing that there will be debate about DB. He thinks that a recent letter to the editor of several papers in support of DB by a group of Fargo business leaders and others is actually a proactive attempt to influence this debate. He thinks there's a real chance the SBHE will choose to not extend DB's contract beyond the current 2017, which is basically the same as firing him. After that, he goes on his typical attacks on DB for the rest of the post. Personally, I think people are feeding him things he wants to hear(or he's making it all up as he has done before), but we'll see soon enough. The meeting is scheduled for Wednesday.

https://www.ndus.edu/uploads/resources/7108/agenda.pdf

Also, the link to Port's blog doesn't work, but you can still get there easily enough from inForum.

DB is great for NDSU and his contract should be extended.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.