Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So if Wentz goes in the top ten in the draft do we retire his number 11?

Default Re: So if Wentz goes in the top ten in the draft do we retire his number 11?

Brock's number didn't get retired so

Default Re: So if Wentz goes in the top ten in the draft do we retire his number 11?

Don't the places that retire numbers usually do it based on what a player accomplished while they were with that team?

Even if they don't, what does getting drafted in a particular spot have to do with anything? It effects the amount of money he gets to put in his pocket but beyond that it's basically meaningless. It's not really an accomplishment. It's merely a reflection of what the most optimistic of 32 front offices hopes he can do at the next level.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

NDSU does not retire numbers. This has not been done in the history of NDSU and its football teams.

There is however one number which will not be reissued. For reasons myself and many others respect.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

NO! As far as CW and Bison go..... Once Bison always a Bison. In addition, its next man up!

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    No offense, but what he does in the NFL shouldn't matter at all. If he does do that in Cleveland, they can retire his jersey. We don't retire numbers at NDSU. Well, just one, but that was of course a special circumstance.
    Yeah I know. Hence why Michigan ain't retiring Brady's number. Sorry I thought the purple was implied.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Don't the places that retire numbers usually do it based on what a player accomplished while they were with that team?

Even if they don't, what does getting drafted in a particular spot have to do with anything? It effects the amount of money he gets to put in his pocket but beyond that it's basically meaningless. It's not really an accomplishment. It's merely a reflection of what the most optimistic of 32 front offices hopes he can do at the next level.
    Agree with most of what you said.......but getting drafted and getting drafted high is certainly an accomplishment

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBisonRock View Post
    NDSU does not retire numbers. This has not been done in the history of NDSU and its football teams.

There is however one number which will not be reissued. For reasons myself and many others respect.
    So share the knowledge...what number was never re issued and why?

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Agree with most of what you said.......but getting drafted and getting drafted high is certainly an accomplishment
    Clearly, I've been living to close to the Washington football team for to many years. I'm terribly jaded about anything NFL related that happens between mid-Feb and early Sept. #wintheoffseason
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    So share the knowledge...what number was never re issued and why?
    From the Media Guide:

Only one number (79) has ever been retired in North Dakota State football history. It belonged to defensive tackle Paul Allen Bothof who played for the Bison from 1968 through 1970.

A two-year starter and an all-conference selection in 1970, the 6-foot-6, 245-pound giant was called the "best-looking football player in this game" by a pro scout at the 1969 Camellia Bowl at the end of his junior season.

But Bothof's career came to a tragic end on Sunday, October 25, 1970, two weeks before the end of the regular season, as he was the victim of an accidental shooting while hunting.

No player has ever worn that jersey number for the Bison since.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    From the Media Guide:

Only one number (79) has ever been retired in North Dakota State football history. It belonged to defensive tackle Paul Allen Bothof who played for the Bison from 1968 through 1970.

A two-year starter and an all-conference selection in 1970, the 6-foot-6, 245-pound giant was called the "best-looking football player in this game" by a pro scout at the 1969 Camellia Bowl at the end of his junior season.

But Bothof's career came to a tragic end on Sunday, October 25, 1970, two weeks before the end of the regular season, as he was the victim of an accidental shooting while hunting.

No player has ever worn that jersey number for the Bison since.
    Makes sense.