Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dylan Miller

Default Dylan Miller

IMO he should not have played at all this year but we probably needed another big with Kadings injuries. He should not be a starter. He just doesn't seem to have any energy, no offensive game and his defense is lacking. The coaches should think about starting Kading or Werner.

Default Re: Dylan Miller

Dylan Miller has a nice 15 foot jumper (when left open) and he's a good rebounder. He's got the body that doesn't require a redshirt but he does seem to lose his mental edge at times, especially when he gets in foul trouble. I'd tend to agree that I'd like to see Kading starting instead of him but I have no idea about the restrictions Kading's health puts on his minutes and such. I like Dex coming off the bench, when he's on he provides that jolt to the team after the initial rush of the game starting has worn off.

Dex and Kading provide more imo

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Dylan Miller has a nice 15 foot jumper (when left open) and he's a good rebounder. He's got the body that doesn't require a redshirt but he does seem to lose his mental edge at times, especially when he gets in foul trouble. I'd tend to agree that I'd like to see Kading starting instead of him but I have no idea about the restrictions Kading's health puts on his minutes and such. I like Dex coming off the bench, when he's on he provides that jolt to the team after the initial rush of the game starting has worn off.
    No offense but I want bigs that can back down in the low post and he just doesn't have that game or at least he hasn't shown it much. Also I'm not sure about the rebounding, he didn't look very good at it last night. IMO Dex has some of the offensive traits that I would like to see us use more but the coaches seem to want our bigs to just set picks for the guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    No offense but I want bigs that can back down in the low post and he just doesn't have that game or at least he hasn't shown it much. Also I'm not sure about the rebounding, he didn't look very good at it last night. IMO Dex has some of the offensive traits that I would like to see us use more but the coaches seem to want our bigs to just set picks for the guards.
    It's rare to get a big with a good back-to-the-basket game in the Summit League. Marshall Bjorklund had the type of game we probably won't see anyone else come close to at NDSU over the next 10 years. I think Dylan can still develop that part of his game somewhat because you're right, it's non-existent right now. He needs to score off offensive rebounds or off open shots created by others.

I think Dave Richman would also prefer to redshirt all his players if he could. I'd have to think that Kading (with his 3 offseason surgeries) was just too much of a question mark going into the season to not have another big guy in the rotation and if Dylan is a better option right now than Wesenberg or Eliason then I think the call had to be made this way.

I'd also like to see them feed Dex in the post more. He has the ability to score with his back to the basket in the post and just feeding it down there will collapse the defense creating opportunities for others. In the same respect Dex has to get better at passing out of the post, especially when he's double teamed.

Dylan is young and learning on the fly and it shows, he will be a damn good player in the coming years. He doesn't play starter minutes, usually plays the first 4 minutes of each half and very sporadically after that. The coaches like Dex coming off the bench, and he ends up playing starter minutes. I tend to agree and would like to see Kading start over Dylan but I think Dave likes the flexibility Kading offers for subbing if guys like AJ or Kory get in early foul trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It's rare to get a big with a good back-to-the-basket game in the Summit League. Marshall Bjorklund had the type of game we probably won't see anyone else come close to at NDSU over the next 10 years. I think Dylan can still develop that part of his game somewhat because you're right, it's non-existent right now. He needs to score off offensive rebounds or off open shots created by others.

I think Dave Richman would also prefer to redshirt all his players if he could. I'd have to think that Kading (with his 3 offseason surgeries) was just too much of a question mark going into the season to not have another big guy in the rotation and if Dylan is a better option right now than Wesenberg or Eliason then I think the call had to be made this way.

I'd also like to see them feed Dex in the post more. He has the ability to score with his back to the basket in the post and just feeding it down there will collapse the defense creating opportunities for others. In the same respect Dex has to get better at passing out of the post, especially when he's double teamed.
    Agreed. I got spoiled watching Bjorklund play the post. It was a beautiful thing.

Dex has a hard time adjusting his game to the way the refs are calling it. He does it but he doesn't do it quickly. He can have a couple fouls in just a couple minutes quite easily. With Dylan starting you have a idea how the game is being called when Dex comes in thus getting more minutes later in the game.

We saw it last night as Daum didn't start and came in right before Dex. Daum was backing Dex down and pounding into him and Dex bodied him up and got fouls. He never did change the aggressive D and let Daum body hard into him and fall back and get the offensive foul. You need to force the ref to make the call but Dex kept playing aggressive D and with the way they were calling it last night you could not do that. The art of recognizing and changing your game to the way refs are calling it can be very tough for some especially a aggressive player like Dex.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Dex has a hard time adjusting his game to the way the refs are calling it. He does it but he doesn't do it quickly. He can have a couple fouls in just a couple minutes quite easily. With Dylan starting you have a idea how the game is being called when Dex comes in thus getting more minutes later in the game.

We saw it last night as Daum didn't start and came in right before Dex. Daum was backing Dex down and pounding into him and Dex bodied him up and got fouls. He never did change the aggressive D and let Daum body hard into him and fall back and get the offensive foul. You need to force the ref to make the call but Dex kept playing aggressive D and with the way they were calling it last night you could not do that. The art of recognizing and changing your game to the way refs are calling it can be very tough for some especially a aggressive player like Dex.
    That cuts both ways though, the refs see how soft Miller is playing then Dex comes in more physical and gets called. Maybe starting Dex would allow for more physical play from the start? It depends on refs too. Last nights fouls were pretty cheap against NDSU and not being called on both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Maybe starting Dex would allow for more physical play from the start? It depends on refs too. Last nights fouls were pretty cheap against NDSU and not being called on both ends.
    and more minutes with Dex sitting on the bench over the course of the whole game. Tough position this year for coach, Kading is a shadow of his former self and is gutting out his senior year. Started out with Dex starting but coaches must figure there is a reason they want him coming off the bench, its not like they didn't try it.

It is very easy to look back and say Dylan should have redshirted, We NEEDED him now though. Not a perfect scenario but it is what it is.