Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL draft impact

Default Re: NFL draft impact

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    In a different line of thinking about impact, just imagine with Carson's apparent top QB in the NFL draft status how much pressure this would have put on Easton for next year if Carson had played the entire season. The 8 wins with Easton starting really makes this a non issue. If Easton's first game was next season this might have seemed like huge shoes to fill and could have had an impact on the transition to a new QB.
    Great point

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Great point
    For emphasis, the transition to replace Carson after him playing all season and getting drafted in 2nd or 3rd round would have been a big deal. Even more so if Easton had little or no experience last season replacing Carson as an early 1st round pick would have been a huge burden.

True.
    Plus, every team has a famous NFL player who is kind of thr face of the program. Carson will be the guy. Let's face it, everyone knows who the QB is on an NFL team.
    Some of those faces are from the past. CW is the now and many H.S. live in the now.

Sorry not what I meant.
    Every college team has a player who is their big name guy. Right now we a bunch of good NFL guys but no big names everyone recognizes nationally. Wentz could be that guy
    I do think when a guy becomes a big name nationally and they are from a traditionally obscure college, there is an additional emphasis on the school they came from from. It seems Flacco is always mentioned with the college while Rodgers not so much. I have a feeling CW will be one of those guys as he progresses. He will be always be mentioned as being from NDSU. As guys like KE, Haeg, and others progress, they will too and it will seem perfectly normal nationwide for NDSU to be producing NFL talent. I know we already see this and it isn't unexpected to see Bison athletes at the pro level, but we haven't reached that level of the casual fan recognizing NDSU as a producer of NFL talent. When that perception is normalized across the board, then recruiting again becomes that much easier and as many have said, the recruiting footprint becomes larger, the marketability of the program becomes bigger, and our targeted recruits become easier to lock down during the process. Sure there are other great college stories out there with programs like Mt. Union, for example, that are non-traditional non-P5 championship programs, but do they also have the additional benefit to their student/athlete of producing NFL talent. No one will have to sell the idea very hard that NDSU produces NFL talent when on Sundays the announcers and sport shows are doing it for you. Just another layer to the championship program already established which is already there but will become more publicized.

It will be cool putting a 1st round QB pick on the walls of the dome, coaching offices, and media guides. I think any high school QB who has NFL aspirations will be impressed by that and it will only have a positive effect. And when you still have an awesome QB coach who coached him... big impact.

I think UNI benefitted from Kurt Warner and probably still do. Hopefully Carson not only is drafted high but has a good career
    Strange thing about UNI, I don't recall over the many years of running wrestling events at their place seeing any mention of Kurt Warner. I know they use to have a huge banner of Bryce Paup for a long time, but nothing in Kurt.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Didn't Kurt Warner play for uni in 93 and didn't make the rams until 98. Probably has a lot to do with his number not making the garage door of fame.
    Last edited by scottietohottie; 03-02-2016 at 01:19 PM. Reason: The grocery store he was bagging groceries at between then retired his apron.

Lardsin must go!

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Didn't Kurt Warner play for uni in 93 and didn't make the rams until 98. Probably has a lot to do with his number not making the garage door of fame.
    I'd say that's mostly due to Warner not being all that spectacular in college. He didn't get really good until the arena league.
    Looking good Billy Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    I'd say that's mostly due to Warner not being all that spectacular in college. He didn't get really good until the arena league.
    Heard he was a pretty good worker at Hyvee. Perhaps, he's BigDaddyKane's secret hero.
    Hail the BISON!!!

With all the publicity during the Combine, does anyone know if Coach fielded any calls from people wanting to play at NDSU?

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    He only started for 1 year at UNI, the year they won the, Nat, uh I mean the Conference Championship

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com