Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Carolina Panthers = Jax State/SHSU in Frisco

Default Re: Carolina Panthers = Jax State/SHSU in Frisco

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmakesthegrassgrow View Post
    There is no truer maxim in the land than that DEFENSE wins championships.
    Best defense is a ball control offense.

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Do a little research and you'll find the same thing. Can't remember if it was here on Bisonville or over on AGS, but someone posted a link to a great article debunking the whole idea of "defense wins championships." With hard data. Pretty interesting read.

No doubt that a great defense can put you in position to win some tight games against elite competition, but so can a great offense and great special teams.

Here's the article I believe you are referring to: http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/does...championships/

I tried using this article a few years ago when debating Seattle fans about the upcoming Super Bowl. Unfortunately, it didn't work out to well for me.

Truth is that Defenses are extremely important to winning Championships, but so are Special Teams and an Offense that doesn't turn the ball over and keeps its own Defense off the field. Another aspect that is important and helped Denver this year is something that has plagued the Broncos many times in past Super Bowls - they didn't play "soft," something that NDSU rarely does. The 2013 Broncos were a marshmallow compared to the 2015 Broncos.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    Sorry, but I will say this over and over again that the phrase "defense wins championships" is so completely overblown it is ridiculous. TEAMS win championships, period.
    I submit the Trent Dilfer lead Baltimore Ravens. This proves Defense wins championships.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

You are correct Rockbear, but how about the St. Louis Rams or Colts or even the late 90's Broncos. We could go back and forth on this as there were years when great offensive teams won it as well. So this proves "Offenses win Championships" . It is completely overblown. Even the Giants team that beat the Bills did it by having their Offense play keep away with the explosive Bills offense by running the play clock down. Sound familiar.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbear99 View Post
    I submit the Trent Dilfer lead Baltimore Ravens. This proves Defense wins championships.
    I'm a guy who would rather have a great defense and mediocre offense rather than the other way around, but one good example doesn't rise to the level of "proof."
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Here's the article I believe you are referring to: http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/does...championships/

I tried using this article a few years ago when debating Seattle fans about the upcoming Super Bowl. Unfortunately, it didn't work out to well for me.

Truth is that Defenses are extremely important to winning Championships, but so are Special Teams and an Offense that doesn't turn the ball over and keeps its own Defense off the field. Another aspect that is important and helped Denver this year is something that has plagued the Broncos many times in past Super Bowls - they didn't play "soft," something that NDSU rarely does. The 2013 Broncos were a marshmallow compared to the 2015 Broncos.
    This is a good article. Wish I had written it cause I was just doing it on my historical knowledge of the game.
    If it flies it dies.

This is a good article. Wish I had written it cause I was just doing it on my historical knowledge of the game.
    Whatever SGoose--read it-->http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/ar...truly-does-win

And Weep!!
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Whatever SGoose--read it-->http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/ar...truly-does-win

And Weep!!
    CAS you are BIAS and I can't figure out why.
    If it flies it dies.

Default Carolina Panthers = Jax State/SHSU in Frisco

CAS you are BIAS and I can't figure out why.
    I was really just more giving you shit than anything, although I am a big believer that teams with very good defenses stand a better chance of winning more games than not.

In fact, I told my girlfriend (huge Broncos fan) several times before SB50 "don't underestimate the Broncos' defensive" in response to her saying she wasn't very confident.
    Last edited by CAS4127; 02-09-2016 at 10:58 PM.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Given the choice between a great defense and mediocre offense or great offense and mediocre defense, I'll take the great defense choice every time. Most title teams, however, seem to be somewhat good on both sides of the ball.